Maxwell theory invariant under dual field strength tensor application

In summary, the conversation discusses the addition of a term to the Lagrangian density in classical field theory and whether or not it affects the equations of motion. It is shown that the added term does not change the equations of motion and can be neglected in the derivation. One method of showing this is through integration by parts, while another is by contracting with a derivative operator.
Mark99
TL;DR Summary
Dual field strength tensor and EOM
Hello everybody! I know in classical field theory adding in the Lagrangian density a term of the form Fαβ (*F)αβ (where by * we denote the dual of the field strength tensor) does not change the EOM, since this corresponds to adding a total derivative term to the action. However when computing the EOMs explicitly through ∂μ(∂L/∂∂μAυ)-∂L/∂Aυ=0, I do not find this to be true.
In particular I get ∂(Fαβ (*F)αβ)/∂∂μAν=4(*Fμν), when the result should be zero. I suppose I am not managing the Levi Civita tensor properly, but I do not understand my mistake. Is there someone who can do this derivation explicitly and show it is zero?
Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have the additional term
$$L=F_{\alpha \beta} (^*F)^{\alpha \beta} = F_{\alpha \beta} F_{\gamma \delta} \epsilon^{\alpha \beta \gamma \delta}.$$
The variation is
$$\delta L = 2 \delta F_{\alpha \beta} F_{\gamma \delta} \epsilon^{\alpha \beta \gamma \delta} = 8 \partial_{\alpha} \delta A_{\beta} \partial_{\gamma} A_{\delta} \epsilon^{\alpha \beta \gamma \delta}.$$
Thus, integrating by parts
$$\delta S=\int \mathrm{d}^4 x \delta L = -8 \int \mathrm{d}^4 x \delta A_{\beta} \partial_{\alpha} \partial_{\gamma} A_{\delta} \epsilon^{\alpha \beta \gamma \delta} \equiv 0.$$
Thus ##\delta S=0## is identically fulfilled, and that's equivalent for the Euler-Lagrange equations being fullfilled for all ##A_{\mu}##.

Likes Dale and topsquark
vanhees71 said:
You have the additional term
$$L=F_{\alpha \beta} (^*F)^{\alpha \beta} = F_{\alpha \beta} F_{\gamma \delta} \epsilon^{\alpha \beta \gamma \delta}.$$
The variation is
$$\delta L = 2 \delta F_{\alpha \beta} F_{\gamma \delta} \epsilon^{\alpha \beta \gamma \delta} = 8 \partial_{\alpha} \delta A_{\beta} \partial_{\gamma} A_{\delta} \epsilon^{\alpha \beta \gamma \delta}.$$
Thus, integrating by parts
$$\delta S=\int \mathrm{d}^4 x \delta L = -8 \int \mathrm{d}^4 x \delta A_{\beta} \partial_{\alpha} \partial_{\gamma} A_{\delta} \epsilon^{\alpha \beta \gamma \delta} \equiv 0.$$
Thus ##\delta S=0## is identically fulfilled, and that's equivalent for the Euler-Lagrange equations being fullfilled for all ##A_{\mu}##.
Thank you for your answer! I understand that. Is it possibile to get the same result showing that the term ∂(Fαβ (*F)αβ)/∂∂μAν in the equations of motion Is zero? Because I understand why your way Is correct but I do not understand why mine Is not

You can write it as
$$L=4 (\partial_{\alpha} A_{\beta})(\partial_{\gamma} A_{\delta}) \epsilon^{\alpha \beta \gamma \delta}.$$
Then
$$\frac{\partial L}{\partial (\partial_{\mu} A_{\nu})} =8 \delta_{\mu \alpha} \delta_{\nu \beta} (\partial_{\gamma} A_{\delta}) \epsilon^{\alpha \beta \gamma \delta}= 8 (\partial_{\gamma} A_{\delta}) \epsilon^{\mu \nu \gamma \delta}.$$
Then contracting with ##\partial_{\mu}## gives
$$\partial_{\mu} \frac{\partial L}{\partial (\partial_{\mu} A_{\nu})} = 8 \partial_{\mu} \partial_{\gamma} A_{\delta} \epsilon^{\mu \nu \gamma \delta}=0.$$
Since ##\partial L/\partial A^{\mu}=0##, that shows that the Euler-Lagrange equations are identically fulfilled, i.e., this term in the Lagrangian doesn't contribute to the equations of motion.

Likes LittleSchwinger, topsquark and dextercioby

1. What is Maxwell theory invariant under dual field strength tensor application?

Maxwell theory is a fundamental theory in physics that describes the behavior of electromagnetic fields. It is invariant under dual field strength tensor application, which means that the theory remains the same regardless of whether the electric and magnetic fields are interchanged.

2. Why is Maxwell theory invariant under dual field strength tensor application?

This invariance is a consequence of the fact that electric and magnetic fields are two aspects of the same underlying electromagnetic field. Therefore, exchanging the two fields does not change the fundamental nature of the theory.

3. What is the significance of this invariance in Maxwell theory?

This invariance allows for a more elegant and concise formulation of Maxwell's equations, as they can be written in terms of a single field strength tensor rather than separate electric and magnetic fields. It also helps to unify the understanding of electric and magnetic phenomena.

4. How does this invariance affect the behavior of electromagnetic waves?

The invariance under dual field strength tensor application ensures that electromagnetic waves behave the same way regardless of whether they are viewed as electric or magnetic waves. This allows for a consistent and unified description of electromagnetic radiation.

5. Are there any experimental confirmations of Maxwell theory's invariance under dual field strength tensor application?

Yes, there have been numerous experiments that have confirmed the invariance of Maxwell's equations under dual field strength tensor application. For example, the behavior of electromagnetic waves in different reference frames remains the same, regardless of whether the electric and magnetic fields are interchanged.