Register to reply

Relative acidic strength

by Vineeth T
Tags: acidic, relative, strength
Share this thread:
Vineeth T
Dec26-12, 03:02 AM
P: 31
Which is more acidic H2S or H2O?And why?
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Chemists modify antibiotic to vanquish resistant bacteria
Abnormal properties of cancer protein revealed in fly eyes
Rooting out horse-meat fraud in the wake of a recent food scandal
Pranav-Arora
Dec26-12, 06:46 AM
P: 3,807
Quote Quote by Vineeth T View Post
How acidity is defined?

Which acid-base theory you should consider here?
lightarrow
Dec29-12, 07:01 AM
P: 1,521
Quote Quote by Vineeth T View Post
According to here:
evans.harvard.edu/pdf/evans_pka_table.pdf

H2S is more acid.

chemisttree
Dec29-12, 11:49 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 3,724
Relative acidic strength

We should remember that to argue that something is more acidic because it produces more hydronium ions in solution or that it is due to a lower pKa, while absolutely true, do not answer the OP's question of "WHY".
lightarrow
Dec29-12, 12:41 PM
Quote Quote by chemisttree View Post
We should remember that to argue that something is more acidic because it produces more hydronium ions in solution or that it is due to a lower pKa, while absolutely true, do not answer the OP's question of "WHY".
Of course, but if you tell me it's not a homework, I can answer that question too
Millennial
Dec31-12, 01:07 AM
P: 295
If you use the Bronsted-Lowry definition, you can say that the conjugate bases of both molecules are OH- and SH-. As oxygen is more electronegative than sulfur, it will attract electrons more than sulfur does. This means that oxygen will be charged more than sulfur, and it will want to receive a proton more than sulfur. Hence, OH- (hydroxide) is a stronger base than SH- (hydrsulfide), which implies that H2S is a stronger acid than H2O. This also holds with the Lewis definition of an acid.
lightarrow
Dec31-12, 06:54 AM
Quote Quote by Millennial View Post
If you use the Bronsted-Lowry definition, you can say that the conjugate bases of both molecules are OH- and SH-. As oxygen is more electronegative than sulfur, it will attract electrons more than sulfur does. This means that oxygen will be charged more than sulfur, and it will want to receive a proton more than sulfur. Hence, OH- (hydroxide) is a stronger base than SH- (hydrsulfide), which implies that H2S is a stronger acid than H2O. This also holds with the Lewis definition of an acid.
I don't understand this explanation: since oxygen is more electronegative than sulfur, it should retain the extra electron more strongly than sulfur! The reason H2S is more acid than H2O is in the different bond enthalpies of S-H and O-H.
Millennial
Jan1-13, 06:00 AM
P: 295
Quote Quote by lightarrow View Post
I don't understand this explanation: since oxygen is more electronegative than sulfur, it should retain the extra electron more strongly than sulfur! The reason H2S is more acid than H2O is in the different bond enthalpies of S-H and O-H.
Yes, it will want to retain the electron more, and it will hog it towards itself. Oxygen will be more negatively charged than sulfur when compounded with hydrogen, so it will want to receive a proton more than sulfur (protons will be attracted more towards oxygen).
chemisttree
Jan1-13, 08:13 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 3,724
I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned the role hydrogen bonding plays in the comparison of these two compounds and the pH effects that difference leads to.
lightarrow
Jan2-13, 01:22 PM
Quote Quote by Millennial View Post
Yes, it will want to retain the electron more, and it will hog it towards itself. Oxygen will be more negatively charged than sulfur when compounded with hydrogen, so it will want to receive a proton more than sulfur (protons will be attracted more towards oxygen).
But the bond between H+ and OH- is not ionic, is covalent; it means that the charge on the ions doesn't count very much, what counts is the capability of forming a covalent bond between one of the lone pairs on the oxygen and the proton, that is the possibility for the oxygen to *give* a pair of electrons to the H+.
lightarrow
Jan2-13, 01:25 PM
Quote Quote by chemisttree View Post
I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned the role hydrogen bonding plays in the comparison of these two compounds and the pH effects that difference leads to.
I thought the hydrogen bond were more responsible of properties like boiling point and vaporization enthalpy, but I'd like to know your explanation.

Register to reply