Does acidity and hydrogen bond strength go hand in hand?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between acidity, electronegativity, dipole moments, and hydrogen bonds in liquids. It is observed that liquids with low dipole moments (bases) typically have lower density and surface tension, but not necessarily hydrogen bonds. However, there is a contradiction with acetic acid, which has a low surface tension despite being an acid. The discussion also raises the question of whether acidity implies stronger hydrogen bonds and if there are hydrogen bonds present in strong acids like hydrochloric acid.
Pen Rie
More acidity means more electronegativity, and more electronegativity means more dipole moments. I observed that liquids with low dipole moments (bases) often have lower density and surface tension, but not necessarily hydrogen bonds. To contradict it, acetic acid have a low surface tension but it's an acid. Does acidity means a stronger hydrogen bond?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
What dipoles moments are you thinking of?
Hydrochloric acid (for example) is a strong acid but are there any hydrogen bonds in it? I don't think so.
You mean the H3O+?

Sorry for my mistake, I was actually trying to find if an acidic solution when mixed with water would strengthen its hydrogen bonds.
nasu said:
What dipoles moments are you thinking of?
Hydrochloric acid (for example) is a strong acid but are there any hydrogen bonds in it? I don't think so.
You mean the H3O+?

1. What is the relationship between acidity and hydrogen bond strength?

The strength of a hydrogen bond is directly related to the acidity of a compound. Acids with stronger hydrogen bonds will have a higher acidity, while compounds with weaker hydrogen bonds will have a lower acidity.

2. How do hydrogen bonds affect the acidity of a compound?

Hydrogen bonds are formed between a hydrogen atom and an electronegative atom, such as oxygen or nitrogen. These bonds increase the polarity of a molecule, making it easier for the hydrogen atom to dissociate and release a proton, resulting in a higher acidity.

3. Can hydrogen bond strength be used to predict the acidity of a compound?

Yes, the strength of hydrogen bonds can be a good predictor of the acidity of a compound. This is because stronger hydrogen bonds indicate a higher polarity and easier dissociation of protons, resulting in a higher acidity.

4. How does the strength of hydrogen bonds vary in different compounds?

The strength of hydrogen bonds can vary greatly depending on the electronegativity of the atoms involved, as well as the distance between the hydrogen atom and the electronegative atom. Compounds with more electronegative atoms and shorter distances between the hydrogen atom and the electronegative atom will have stronger hydrogen bonds.

5. Is there a specific range of hydrogen bond strength that corresponds to a certain level of acidity?

There is no specific range of hydrogen bond strength that can definitively predict the acidity of a compound. Other factors, such as the molecular structure and environment, can also play a role in determining the acidity of a compound. However, in general, stronger hydrogen bonds tend to indicate a higher acidity.