Register to reply

Hydrogen bond vs dipole-dipole?

by Jd0g33
Tags: bond, dipoledipole, hydrogen
Share this thread:
Jd0g33
Feb4-13, 01:15 PM
P: 298
I saw a video on youtube saying water molecules were held together by hydrogen bonding, not dipole dipole. Why is that?
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Marine pest provides advances in maritime anti-fouling and biomedicine
Nature inspires a greener way to make colorful plastics
New catalyst converts carbon dioxide to fuel
mfb
Feb4-13, 01:51 PM
Mentor
P: 11,629
Hydrogen bonds are special (stronger) version of dipole-dipole interactions.
AbdulQat
Feb8-13, 01:01 PM
P: 4
I have heard this statement before but I have no idea what it means. I think I know what dipole-dipole interactions are but I'm not sure about their relation to hydrogen bonds and conversely. Could you please elaborate?

mfb
Feb8-13, 01:32 PM
Mentor
Hydrogen bond vs dipole-dipole?

Hydrogen bonds are bonds where one side of molecule A has a positively charged region (hydrogen, usually connected to oxygen) and one side of molecule B has a negatively charged region (usually oxygen). As both molecules are uncharged (otherwise, it would be an ionic bond), they have to be dipoles.
AbdulQat
Feb8-13, 06:01 PM
P: 4
But two H atoms or two H2 molecules undergo dipole-dipole dispersive interactions without having permanent dipoles. Likewise for two orientation-averaged H2O molecules. What's the magnitude of a typical hydrogen bond? Can it be measured in any or all phases of H2O?
chill_factor
Feb8-13, 11:57 PM
P: 887
hydrogen bonds are in the 0.5 eV range.

for comparison, covalent bonds are in the single eVs while van der Waals forces are in the 0.1 eV range.

Of course in chemistry we more often talk about kJ/mol but those are hard numbers to compare when visualizing single bonds. eV are easy to compare to other things since we know the ionization energy of H atoms in eV.

You might notice, hey, hydrogen bonds and van der Waals forces don't seem all that different. However in the regime of low energies, even a tiny difference is huge.
mfb
Feb9-13, 04:36 AM
Mentor
Quote Quote by AbdulQat View Post
But two H atoms or two H2 molecules undergo dipole-dipole dispersive interactions without having permanent dipoles.
Van der Waals

Likewise for two orientation-averaged H2O molecules.
Their orientations are correlated, which gives an effective attraction even if the average orientation of each atom is random.

Can it be measured in any or all phases of H2O?
Ice is like many frozen hydrogen bonds, and the high melting/boiling point is a result of hydrogen bonds in ice and water. As gas, interactions between atoms are weak as always.
DrDu
Feb9-13, 03:22 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 3,564
Although I don't remember the percentages, in hydrogen bonds there is also a considerable transfer of charge between the bonded molecules and other effects which can't be subsumed under dipole-dipole interaction.

Register to reply