About Van Der Waals interactions

In summary, the conversation discusses confusion about van der Waals interactions, specifically regarding the inclusion of hydrogen bonds. The person asking for clarification also mentions the possibility of the need for revisions to TLC theory if hydrogen bonds were considered van der Waals bonds.
samy4408
TL;DR Summary
the consept of van der waals bonds
Hello, when reviewing the types of chemical bonds i was a little bit confused about van der waals interactions, in the definition we talk about momentarily disproportion of electrons that provoke a dipole , and then i read that also include hydrogen bonds .
I am a bit confused about van der waals bonds can anyone enlighten me ,thanks.

Chemistry news on Phys.org

What are Van Der Waals interactions?

Van Der Waals interactions are weak intermolecular forces that occur between atoms or molecules. They are caused by temporary fluctuations in electron density, resulting in a temporary dipole moment. These interactions are important for various biological and chemical processes.

How do Van Der Waals interactions differ from other intermolecular forces?

Unlike other intermolecular forces such as ionic or covalent bonds, Van Der Waals interactions are relatively weak and only occur between non-polar molecules or atoms. They are also highly dependent on distance, with the strength of the interaction decreasing as the distance between particles increases.

What is the significance of Van Der Waals interactions in biological systems?

Van Der Waals interactions play a crucial role in maintaining the structure and stability of biological molecules such as proteins and DNA. They also contribute to the binding of ligands to enzymes and receptors, as well as the interactions between lipid molecules in cell membranes.

Can Van Der Waals interactions be manipulated or controlled?

Yes, Van Der Waals interactions can be manipulated or controlled through various means such as changing the distance between particles, altering the electron density of molecules, or introducing polar or charged groups to disrupt the interactions. This can have significant implications in fields such as drug design and material science.

Are Van Der Waals interactions always present?

Yes, Van Der Waals interactions are always present between atoms and molecules, even in the absence of other intermolecular forces. They are a fundamental aspect of molecular interactions and are essential for the stability and functioning of various biological and chemical systems.