Hydrogen bonding preference in acids

In summary, the conversation discusses the prevalence of hydrogen bonding to either nitrogen or sulfur atoms in certain molecules. Despite not being able to locate specific information, it is noted that hydrogen tends to bond more readily to nitrogen. This is further supported by the example of thiocyanic acid. The conversation ends with a request for clarification on why this is the case.
PhysicsCanuck
TL;DR Summary
Why does hydrogen bond more readily/commonly to one end/atom and not the other? (and which is more common?)
thiocyanic acid.jpg

I can't figure out why hydrogen is more likely to bond to either the nitrogen or to the sulphur atom.
I can't locate any information in any textbooks or online as to which molecule is more prevalent/common.

This is not a homework question.
I just came across one of these molecules and wondered why the hydrogen was on one end and not the other.Thank you for your help here!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
DrClaude said:
The hydrogen can bond to either side, but mostly to N:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thiocyanic_acid
Thank you very much, DrClaude.
Could you tell me why hydrogen more readily/commonly bonds to the nitrogen?

Thank you very much for your time and help here

1. What is hydrogen bonding preference in acids?

Hydrogen bonding preference in acids refers to the tendency of certain acidic molecules to form strong hydrogen bonds with other molecules. This is due to the presence of polar covalent bonds between the hydrogen and other atoms in the molecule.

2. How does hydrogen bonding preference affect the properties of acids?

Hydrogen bonding preference can significantly impact the physical and chemical properties of acids. It can increase the acidity of a molecule, make it more soluble in water, and affect its boiling and melting points.

3. What types of acids exhibit hydrogen bonding preference?

Acids with polar functional groups such as carboxylic acids, alcohols, and amines typically exhibit hydrogen bonding preference. This is because these groups have electronegative atoms (such as oxygen and nitrogen) that can form strong hydrogen bonds with other molecules.

4. How is hydrogen bonding preference related to acid strength?

Stronger hydrogen bonding preference in an acid leads to a stronger acid. This is because the hydrogen bond formed between the acidic molecule and a water molecule makes it easier for the acid to donate a proton, increasing its acidity.

5. Can hydrogen bonding preference be influenced by external factors?

Yes, external factors such as temperature, pressure, and the presence of other molecules can affect the strength of hydrogen bonding preference in acids. Increasing temperature, for example, can weaken hydrogen bonds and decrease the acidity of an acid.