Why do we need to exercise?

by jd12345
Tags: exercise
Share this thread:
jd12345
Mar16-13, 03:13 AM
P: 260
By exercise I mean both physical and mental
So are we evolved in such a way that we need to give it some sort of workout to keep it healthy? Why is this?
I don't understand why our mind and body need a workout to keep it healthy? Why won't just proper food work? Why exercise is necessary?
Phys.Org News Partner Medical research news on Phys.org
Stress tied to change in children's gene expression related to emotion regulation, physical health
Stronger early reading skills predict higher intelligence later
Community service programs that include reflection found to be more beneficial to youth
turbo
Mar16-13, 04:12 AM
PF Gold
P: 7,363
An example: Have you ever suffered some some lack of mobility due to physical injury? It is pretty important to re-hab that injury in order to regain normal function. Mental deficits are similar, though not the same. Use it or lose it.
Astronuc
Mar16-13, 09:46 AM
Admin
P: 21,808
Quote Quote by jd12345 View Post
By exercise I mean both physical and mental
So are we evolved in such a way that we need to give it some sort of workout to keep it healthy? Why is this?
I don't understand why our mind and body need a workout to keep it healthy? Why won't just proper food work? Why exercise is necessary?
The body is a dynamic system and tissue/cellular development depends on stimulation/utilization.

One needs excercise to build strength and/or stamina (muscle development), otherwise the tissue will simply be replaced without futher development.

Neural connections depend on stimulation. Brain development depends upon ever increasing complexity in stimulation and thinking.

jd12345
Mar16-13, 11:27 AM
P: 260
Why do we need to exercise?

So does every living being require exercise?
42Physics
Mar16-13, 11:30 AM
P: 30
In someway or another,yes.
mazinse
Mar16-13, 01:33 PM
P: 190
humans need exercise because our lifestyles in the west is too sedentary. In impoverish countries they dont call it exercise, they just call it work.
russ_watters
Mar16-13, 01:53 PM
Mentor
P: 22,235
Quote Quote by mazinse View Post
humans need exercise because our lifestyles in the west is too sedentary. In impoverish countries they dont call it exercise, they just call it work.
Right. It has nothing to do with evolution; our lifestyles have only become a lot more sedentary over the past 100 years or so, which is too short of a time for evolution to adjust our eating habits and metabolism (if it would be so inclined).
phyzguy
Mar16-13, 02:31 PM
P: 2,179
I would argue that it does have to do with evolution. Maintaining brain function and muscle tissue is expensive, it takes food energy and nutritional building blocks (protein, etc.). So we have evolved in such a way as to do away with things we don't need. This is why (I claim) muscles we don't use atrophy away. So you need to continue to use muscles, otherwise your body will say, "It seems this function isn't needed any more so I'll get rid of it."

Register to reply