Mind cannot think without overeating

• Thread starter AdrianTTT
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mind
In summary, the person is concerned about the difficulty they have concentrating when they don't have access to high calorie foods. They are also concerned about their body weight and how it can affect their ability to concentrate.
AdrianTTT
Hi,

I was wondering how you fellow scholars of science deal with this problem that I've been having as far as I can remember. Every time I study, I HAVE to eat at small constant time intervals, tasty, usually high calorie foods, otherwise my mind will not function properly, that is I can't concentrate when learning. And before you say, try to substitute foods with healthier options, it's not an option, I'll still end up eating junk.

My body usually needs 3000 calories a day to stay mind-sharp. At this cal. intake rate my body will get fat until 87 kg and then stop (i have 1.75 cm) no-matter if the intake of calories remain the same. Therefore it kinda sucks to be overweight in the name of science.

I usually do train on average 1h, 5 days/week, high intensity, body weight exercises and cardio but that will only make/keep me about 3-4 kg thinner. If I want to push to less kilograms I either have to eat less constantly (= mind can't concentrate), or train harder (=body too weakened to concentrate for hours after due to fatigue, plus more sleep needed).

If you say that I should have a period of thinning up, by postponing the study for a short wile, that will only shift me to a temporary state of thinness that would require 2000 cal/day (same training) to maintain. The body weight will yo-yo back as soon as I re-enter in the mind-sharp state with the 3000 calorie intake again.

In conclusion, I'm either fat and knowledgeable or trimmed and superficial.

Quite a predicament... any suggestions? :)

Biology news on Phys.org
I'm sorry but we can't give medical advice here. You could have a metabolic disorder or other abnormality or it could simply be that you really like the taste of sugary foods and the craving you get when you don't have them makes it hard to concentrate. But no one here, including myself, knows anything for sure and you're about 99.9% guaranteed to get a few dozen different, conflicting posts about what to do and why this is happening.

If you are worried about this, then you need to see your primary healthcare provider or another medical professional. Except for basic facts, online forums and even medical websites are extremely poor sources of nutritional information thanks to the extraordinarily complex relationship between food, mind, and body. There's a metric ton of misconceptions and misinformation out there, and your best bet is to simply avoid it completely.

Thread locked.

Likes jim mcnamara

What does it mean when we say "mind cannot think without overeating"?

When we say "mind cannot think without overeating," we are referring to the idea that our thoughts and cognitive functions are influenced and affected by our eating habits and nutrition. This means that what we eat can impact our ability to think, reason, and make decisions.

Is there any scientific evidence to support the concept of "mind cannot think without overeating"?

Yes, there is scientific evidence to support this concept. Studies have shown that the brain requires a steady supply of nutrients and energy to function properly, and that certain foods and eating patterns can affect cognitive function, mood, and behavior.

How does overeating affect the mind?

Overeating can have a negative impact on the mind in several ways. Firstly, consuming too much food can lead to feelings of fatigue and lethargy, which can make it difficult to think clearly and focus. Additionally, overeating has been linked to inflammation in the brain, which can impair cognitive function and increase the risk of developing neurodegenerative diseases.

Can under-eating also affect the mind?

Yes, under-eating can also have a significant impact on the mind. When we do not consume enough nutrients and calories, our brain does not receive the fuel it needs to function properly. This can lead to symptoms such as difficulty concentrating, mood changes, and decreased cognitive performance.

What are some tips for maintaining a healthy mind through proper nutrition and eating habits?

To maintain a healthy mind through proper nutrition and eating habits, it is important to consume a balanced diet that includes a variety of whole foods such as fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean proteins, and healthy fats. It is also important to listen to your body's hunger and fullness cues and avoid overeating or under-eating. Staying hydrated and getting regular exercise can also help support a healthy mind. Consulting with a registered dietitian can also provide personalized recommendations for maintaining a healthy mind through nutrition.