Raspberry Pi board projects and advice?

by eyeswideopened
Tags: raspberry pi
eyeswideopened
Apr21-13, 02:37 PM
P: 1
I am looking to work with a raspberry pi board to do some basic and eventually more complex things, what are the best types of things to attempt / what type of raspberry pi board is the best to purchase for a starter? As for the boards themselves I am aware that are quite powerful and I have seen all types of robot cars and computers. Would it be possible to string a few of them together to create a large enough computer to host multiple minecraft servers on? I want to see what I can do with this once I go into college.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Cougars' diverse diet helped them survive the Pleistocene mass extinction
Cyber risks can cause disruption on scale of 2008 crisis, study says
Mantis shrimp stronger than airplanes
Borek
Apr21-13, 03:59 PM
Admin
P: 22,705
As long as you have no idea what you are going to use it for, start with B - A can be enough for some applications, but because of a single USB port and lack of net interface it will be PITA. $10 is not worth the hassle.
Leo McDevitt
Apr22-13, 04:20 PM
P: 3
If you are worried about your online activities being monitored (as I am!) you can make a Personal Virtual Private Network (VPN) with a Raspberry Pi!

http://lifehacker.com/5978098/turn-a...nywhere-you-go

A VPN encrypts communication between your computer and the VPN. You can connect to it from anywhere on the internet. This allows you to have completely secure communication - even on unprotected public WiFi! I'm running one of these to secure communications via my Android phone. It works like a charm.

This is an easy project to do, and rewards you with greater security online.

Register to reply