Register to reply

Isomorphism homework

by Icebreaker
Tags: isomorphism
Share this thread:
Icebreaker
Nov12-05, 01:30 PM
P: n/a
"Let R be the ring Zp[x] of polynomials with coefficients in the finite field Zp, and let f:R->S be a surjective homomorphism from R to a ring S. Show that S is either isomorphic to R, or is a finite ring."

If S is isomorphic to R, then we're done. If S is not isomorphic to R, then by hypothesis, f is not injective. That is, ker(f) contains more than the zero element of R. ker(f) is an ideal of R, therefore there exists a surjective homomorphism p:R->R/ker(f), where p(x) = x + ker(f).

My question is, if R is homomorphic to S and R is homomorphic to T, what is the relation between S and T? Are they the same? Isomorphic? In the question, R and S are given. In my answer, S is constructed.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists discover RNA modifications in some unexpected places
Scientists discover tropical tree microbiome in Panama
'Squid skin' metamaterials project yields vivid color display
AKG
Nov12-05, 03:39 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 2,586
Did you finishing solving the problem? If Ker(f) has a non-zero element, then it has some polynomial of degree k. You know then that elements of R/Ker(f) have degree no more than k, and since there are only a finite number of possible coefficients for a given term in a polynomial, you've shown that R/Ker(f) is finite, hence so is S.

Certainly, S and T need not be the same or isomorphic. For every polynomial p in R, there is the ideal generated by p, (p), and there is always a surjective homomorphism from R to R/(p). But it's not true that for any polynomials p, q, that R/(p) is isomorphic to R/(q).
Icebreaker
Nov12-05, 05:14 PM
P: n/a
I did finish solving the problem. I was just wondering whether the answer to my question was true. Thanks anyway.

AKG
Nov15-05, 06:48 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Isomorphism homework

Well the correct answer to any question is true ;). Is your question the following: If there exists a surjective homomorphism f : R -> S and a surjective homomorphism g : R -> T, what is the relation between S and T? Well we know S = R/Ker(f), and T = R/Ker(g). We know Ker(f) and Ker(g) are ideals. Moreover, we know that for any ideal J, there is a surjective homomorphism j : R -> R/J, which simply projects r in R to r + J (i.e. the coset of J containing r). Actually, I don't know all of this, this is what I would suspect is true from what I know of groups and what little I know of rings. Anyways, assuming the above is true, your question reduces to asking what the relationships are between two arbitary ideals of R. In general, R may have more than one ideal (in fact, it always has more than one ideal because it has R and {0}, but it may have more than one trivial ideal as well), and it may even have many non-trivial ideals which are not all isomorphic to one another. So if R is arbitrary, there is not much that can be said about the relationship between two ideals of R. Maybe in particular cases, R will only have non-trivial ideals that are isomorphic to one another. For an analogy, the group Z5 x Z5 has more than one non-trivial normal subgroup but any two non-trivial normal subgroups are isomorphic.
Hurkyl
Nov15-05, 08:29 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 16,091
Exercise: Let R and S be commutative rings. Find a ring T and surjective homomorphisms T-->R and T-->S.

(commutativity isn't necessary)
AKG
Nov15-05, 09:47 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
T = R x S, with the homomorphisms given by (r,s) |-> r and (r,s) |-> s respectively.

Register to reply