Extending an Additive Group Homomorph. to a Ring Homomorph.

• Thread starter Bashyboy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Group Ring
In summary, the conversation discusses the extension of a group homomorphism ##f : R^+ \longrightarrow R^+## to a ring homomorphism ##\varphi : R \longrightarrow R## and the use of units to define this extension. It is suggested to use an ideal ##\mathcal{I}## in ##\otimes_\mathbb{Z} R^+## along with the projection ##\pi : \otimes_\mathbb{Z} R^+ \twoheadrightarrow R## to define ##\varphi##. The concept of units may not be enough to accurately reflect the multiplicative rules needed for this extension.
Bashyboy

Homework Statement

No problem statement.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Suppose that ##R## is a ring and ##f : R \to R## is an additive group homomorphism. Is the following a way of extending ##f## to a ring homomorphism? Let ##\varphi : R \to R## and define ##\varphi(r) = f(r)## if ##r \in R - R^\times##, where ##R^\times## is the group of units, and ##\varphi(rs) = f(r) f(s)## if ##r,s \in R^\times##...Something about that definition doesn't feel right. Or perhaps ##\varphi(a+b) = f(a) + f(b)## and ##\varphi(ab) = f(a) f(b)##...I suspect that that isn't well-defined...I could use some help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Bashyboy said:

Homework Statement

No problem statement.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Suppose that ##R## is a ring and ##f : R \to R## is an additive group homomorphism. Is the following a way of extending ##f## to a ring homomorphism? Let ##\varphi : R \to R## and define ##\varphi(r) = f(r)## if ##r \in R - R^\times##, where ##R^\times## is the group of units, and ##\varphi(rs) = f(r) f(s)## if ##r,s \in R^\times##...Something about that definition doesn't feel right. Or perhaps ##\varphi(a+b) = f(a) + f(b)## and ##\varphi(ab) = f(a) f(b)##...I suspect that that isn't well-defined...I could use some help.
There is given a group homomorphism ##f : R^+ \longrightarrow R^+##. This naturally extends to a ring homomorphism ##\bar{f}: \otimes_\mathbb{Z} R^+ \longrightarrow \otimes_\mathbb{Z} R^+##. To extend ##f## to a ring homomorphism ##\varphi : R \longrightarrow R## we can ask, whether there is an ideal ##\mathcal{I}## in ##\otimes_\mathbb{Z} R^+## such that ##\otimes_\mathbb{Z} R^+ / \mathcal{I} \cong R##. If ##\pi : \otimes_\mathbb{Z} R^+ \twoheadrightarrow R## denotes the according projection, then ##\varphi## given by ## \varphi \circ \pi = \pi \circ \bar{f}## should do the job.

The crucial point is to transport the multiplicative rules form ##R## into an ideal of ##\otimes_\mathbb{Z} R^+##. I cannot see how units help here. They might not reflect enough of these rules, as they are notoriously exceptional in a ring and don't match very well with the given additive structure.

Last edited:

1. What is an additive group homomorphism?

An additive group homomorphism is a function that preserves the algebraic structure of a group. This means that for two groups, G and H, and a function f: G -> H, f satisfies the property f(a+b) = f(a) + f(b) for all elements a and b in G.

2. How is an additive group homomorphism extended to a ring homomorphism?

In order to extend an additive group homomorphism to a ring homomorphism, we must define how the function f acts on multiplication as well. This means that for two rings, R and S, and a function f: R -> S, f must satisfy the properties f(ab) = f(a)f(b) and f(1) = 1 for all elements a and b in R, where 1 is the multiplicative identity in R.

3. What is the significance of extending an additive group homomorphism to a ring homomorphism?

Extending an additive group homomorphism to a ring homomorphism allows us to preserve the algebraic structure of the group while also incorporating the concept of multiplication. This is important in many mathematical applications, such as in abstract algebra and number theory.

4. Are there any limitations to extending an additive group homomorphism to a ring homomorphism?

Yes, there are limitations to extending an additive group homomorphism to a ring homomorphism. For example, the function must be defined on both the additive and multiplicative structures of the group, and it must satisfy certain properties to maintain the algebraic structure. Additionally, the function may not be extendable if the rings have different properties, such as being commutative or having a unity element.

5. How is the extension of an additive group homomorphism related to the concept of isomorphism?

The extension of an additive group homomorphism to a ring homomorphism is related to the concept of isomorphism in that both involve preserving the structure of a mathematical object. An isomorphism is a bijective function that preserves the structure of a mathematical object, while an extension of a homomorphism preserves the structure of a group while also incorporating the concept of multiplication.