1st Isomorphism thm for dihedral gps

In summary, the homework statement is trying to solve for the equation ##D_{\infty} = \langle R^n \rangle## where ##D_{2n}## is the set of all integral power of ##R^n##. There is a unique map from ##D_{\infty}## to ##D_{2n}## called ##f## which is surjective and maps any word in ##D_{2n}## to ##1=sr^k##. By the first isomorphism theorem, ##D_\infty/\langle R^n \rangle\cong D_{2n}##.
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

Prove that ##D_\infty/\langle R^n \rangle\cong D_{2n}##, where ##D_\infty=\langle R,S \mid S^2=e, SRS=R^{-1}\rangle##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Pick ##g:\{R,S\} \to D_{2n}## such that ##g(R) = r## and ##g(S) = s##. We note that ##g(S)^2 = 1## and ##g(S)g(R)g(S)g(R)=1## since it is given in the presentation of ##D_{2n}## that ##s^2=1## and that ##srsr=1##. By the UMP for presentations there exists a unique homomorphism ##f: D_{\infty} \to D_{2n}## such that ##f(R)=r## and ##f(S)=s##.

This map ##f## is surjective because any word formed by the generators of ##D_{2n}## can be mapped to by the corresponding word in ##D_{\infty}## with ##r## replaced by ##R## and ##s## replaced by ##S##.

Let ##\Gamma## be an arbitrary word in the kernel of ##f## so that ##f(\Gamma) = 1##. Suppose that ##S## is a part of the word ##\Gamma##. Then ##f(\Gamma) \not = 1## since there will necessarily be an ##s## on the RHS. Hence only ##R## can be a part of this word, and the word must be an integral power of ##R^n## in order to map to ##1##, since otherwise the word will map to an element ##r^p## with ##p\in [0,n-1)##, which can never be ##1## (since the order of ##r## is ##n##). Hence ##\Gamma \in \langle R^n \rangle##. So ##\ker(f) = \langle R^n \rangle##

By the first isomorphism theorem, ##D_\infty/\langle R^n \rangle\cong D_{2n}##.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see why ##f(\Gamma) \neq 1##.

We can always bring ##\Gamma \in \operatorname{ker}(f)## into the form ##\Gamma = SR^k\; , \;k\in\mathbb{Z}\; , \;## or ##\Gamma=R^k##. The second case is easy. Now in the first case ##f(\Gamma)=1=sr^k## and thus ##s=r^k##, i.e. ##1=r^{2k}##. Since ##r^{2k}\in D_{2n}##, we now have ##n\,|\,k## or ##\Gamma = S(R^n)^l##. But how do you conclude from ##s=r^{n\cdot l}## that ##S\in \langle R^n\rangle\,?##

Theoretically there can be an ##s## on the RHS, e.g. ##\Gamma = SRSR## maps to ##1=srsr##. Sure, this is ##1##, but it shows that in principle more complex words ##\Gamma## can be mapped on ##1## even if they contain an ##S##.

Edit: Got it. ##s=r^k## is not possible and therefore ##\Gamma \neq SR^k## and ##\Gamma = R^k## is the only left possibility.

fresh_42 said:
I don't see why ##f(\Gamma) \neq 1##.

We can always bring ##\Gamma \in \operatorname{ker}(f)## into the form ##\Gamma = SR^k\; , \;k\in\mathbb{Z}\; , \;## or ##\Gamma=R^k##. The second case is easy. Now in the first case ##f(\Gamma)=1=sr^k## and thus ##s=r^k##, i.e. ##1=r^{2k}##. Since ##r^{2k}\in D_{2n}##, we now have ##n\,|\,k## or ##\Gamma = S(R^n)^l##. But how do you conclude from ##s=r^{n\cdot l}## that ##S\in \langle R^n\rangle\,?##

Theoretically there can be an ##s## on the RHS, e.g. ##\Gamma = SRSR## maps to ##1=srsr##. Sure, this is ##1##, but it shows that in principle more complex words ##\Gamma## can be mapped on ##1## even if they contain an ##S##.

Edit: Got it. ##s=r^k## is not possible and therefore ##\Gamma \neq SR^k## and ##\Gamma = R^k## is the only left possibility.
I'm a little confused. I see that we have two possibilities. If ##\Gamma = R^k## then we get that ##k## must be a multiple of ##n## becuase we must have that ##r^k=1##. But in the case ##\Gamma = SR^k## we get that ##r^{2k}=1##. How does this lead us to conclude that there is no such ##k## for which this holds, and hence no elements of form ##SR^k## are in the kernel?

Mr Davis 97 said:
I'm a little confused. I see that we have two possibilities. If ##\Gamma = R^k## then we get that ##k## must be a multiple of ##n## becuase we must have that ##r^k=1##. But in the case ##\Gamma = SR^k## we get that ##r^{2k}=1##. How does this lead us to conclude that there is no such ##k## for which this holds, and hence no elements of form ##SR^k## are in the kernel?
No, that's what my "edit" says. It took me a moment to see (likely due to the current time here).

If ##\Gamma = SR^k## then ##s=r^k##. But ##s\notin \langle r\rangle \subseteq D_{2n}##, so this is not possible.

Likes Mr Davis 97
fresh_42 said:
No, that's what my "edit" says. It took me a moment to see (likely due to the current time here).

If ##\Gamma = SR^k## then ##s=r^k##. But ##s\notin \langle r\rangle \subseteq D_{2n}##, so this is not possible.
One last thing. How do I know that the elements of ##D_{\infty}## always look like either ##SR^k## or ##R^k##? i.e how can we tell from the presentation that ##D_{\infty} = \{R^{-2},R^{-1}, \dots, 1,R,R^2, \dots, SR^{-1}, S, SR^1,SR^2, \dots\}##

Last edited:
We have ##S^2=1## so no higher powers as ##1## are possible for ##S##. Then we have ##SRS=R^{-1}## which is ##SR=R^{-1}S^{-1}=R^{-1}S## so we can always change the order such that ##S## will end up on one side of ##R## to the expense of powers of ##R##, which we are not interested in. We can allow integers, so it doesn't matter if it changes.

Likes Mr Davis 97

1. What is the 1st Isomorphism Theorem for dihedral groups?

The 1st Isomorphism Theorem for dihedral groups states that if G is a dihedral group and H is a normal subgroup of G, then the quotient group G/H is isomorphic to a subgroup of the group of symmetries of the regular polygon determined by G.

2. How is the 1st Isomorphism Theorem for dihedral groups proved?

The proof of the 1st Isomorphism Theorem for dihedral groups involves showing that the map from G to the group of symmetries of the regular polygon, which sends each element of G to its corresponding symmetry, is a surjective homomorphism with H as its kernel. This shows that the quotient group G/H is isomorphic to a subgroup of the group of symmetries.

3. What is the significance of the 1st Isomorphism Theorem for dihedral groups?

The 1st Isomorphism Theorem for dihedral groups is significant because it allows us to study and classify dihedral groups by understanding their quotient groups and subgroups. It also provides a way to visualize dihedral groups as symmetries of regular polygons, making them more tangible and easier to work with.

4. Can the 1st Isomorphism Theorem for dihedral groups be applied to other types of groups?

Yes, the 1st Isomorphism Theorem is a general theorem that can be applied to any group, not just dihedral groups. It states that if G is a group and H is a normal subgroup of G, then the quotient group G/H is isomorphic to a subgroup of G. This principle can be used to study and understand the structures of various groups.

5. How does the 1st Isomorphism Theorem for dihedral groups relate to other isomorphism theorems?

The 1st Isomorphism Theorem for dihedral groups is a special case of the more general 1st Isomorphism Theorem for groups. It can also be seen as a special case of the 3rd Isomorphism Theorem for groups, which relates to the quotient groups of a group by different normal subgroups. However, the 1st Isomorphism Theorem for dihedral groups has its own unique applications and implications in the study of dihedral groups.