Symphony Music for Science Videos: Recommendations Needed

In summary: Worth a listen.Some good suggestions here, but I would also recommend listening to something by Peter Shostakovich. His symphonies can be quite dark and moody, and they often have a lot of dramatic elements to them.
Holocene
Can anyone recommend some good symphony orchestra music that would fit well with the construction of a science video? Topics would possibly include evolution, origins of universe, galaxies, history of Earth, etc..

Thanks.

Science news on Phys.org
Well, Strauss seemed to work pretty well for Stanley Kubrick.
You might also want to see if you can dig up some old copies of Sagan's Cosmos series from PBS. I seem to recall the music being quite nicely suited to the broadcasts.
Basically, though, I'd just go with whatever evokes the sort of feelings in you that you want to convey to the audience. Try just listening to a classical station for a few days and jot down the names of the pieces that you like.

Plenty suitable music in this thread

Additional suggestions

Evolution: Ravel Bolero

Origine of universe: Smetana Die Moldau

History of the Earth Edvard Grieg, the Peer Gynt suites
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=peer+gynt&search=Search

Several tunes with various moods.

Note: have no sound on this computer So I hope Youtube is not fooling me

Last edited by a moderator:
Some strong music

Tchaikovsky Piano Concerto No.1

Beethoven Violin concerto

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are planning on a presentation that emphasizes the importance of interconnections on these scales, I suggest that you listen to Bach's Brandenburg Concertos. They feature themes that are developed, repeated, inverted, played backward and forward against one another, etc.

Does it have to be orchestra music?

Math Jeans said:
Does it have to be orchestra music?

Not necessarily.

Also, thanks everyone.

If you like solo piano music, you can choose from a number of short catchy pieces from the "Goldberg Variations."

They have recently remastered Glen Gould's 1951 recording of the variations. They managed to digitally remove his tendency to hum along.

1. What is the purpose of using symphony music in science videos?

Symphony music is often used in science videos to enhance the emotional impact of the content and create a sense of wonder and awe. It can also help to engage the audience and keep their attention throughout the video.

2. How do I choose the right symphony music for my science video?

When choosing symphony music for a science video, it is important to consider the tone and mood of the video, as well as the specific subject matter. You may also want to listen to several options and choose one that complements the visuals and adds depth to the overall message.

3. Can I use any symphony music in my science video?

In most cases, you will need to obtain a license to use symphony music in your science video. This can usually be done through a music licensing agency or by directly contacting the composer or copyright holder. It is important to properly credit the music in your video and follow any usage guidelines specified by the license.

4. Are there any specific symphony pieces that are recommended for science videos?

There are many symphony pieces that can work well in science videos, depending on the subject and tone of the video. Some popular choices include "The Planets" by Gustav Holst, "Jupiter" from "The Planets" by Gustav Holst, and "Symphony No. 9" by Ludwig van Beethoven.

5. Can using symphony music in my science video impact its copyright or distribution?

Yes, using symphony music in your science video can impact its copyright and distribution. It is important to obtain the proper license to use the music and credit it correctly in your video. If you plan to distribute your video online, make sure to check the distribution guidelines of the music license to ensure compliance.