Hi allI want to read more on wormhole theory and create speciality

In summary, the conversation covers the topic of wormhole theory and the desire to become an expert in the field. The participants discuss various resources and books to study, as well as the current state of research on wormholes. The conversation also touches on the potential applications of wormholes, such as in communication and transportation, and the social and environmental implications of creating wormholes. The conclusion is that while wormholes may be an intriguing concept, their existence is still uncertain and subject to ongoing mathematical research.
swaps2000
Hi all

I want to read more on wormhole theory and create speciality in wormhole theory . I am from engineering background, working in IT industry. so totally out of touch with physics and mathematics.Can anyone suggest some road map for me. How i can grasp the intricacies of wormhole theories.

Physics news on Phys.org

The Physics of Stargates: Parallel Universes, Time Travel, and the Enigma of Wormhole Physics by Enrico Rodrigo would be a good start.

There is an interesting chapter on Wormholes in Hyper Space by Michio Kaku which also leads into ideas about Time travel and the other Spatial Dimensions.

Thanks George and electroman !

Want to share my views.
Actually i am a big fan of sci-fi like star trek,eureka,big bang theory,through the wormhole...all these developed an inevitable interest in me for physics. Specially wormhole theory. I am from Electronic and Communication background. Morever Comunication has been my passion. The communication media can be any thing like post,telegraph,copper wire, wireless, fiber optic channel, satellite, and now quantum channel(entanglement). All these can communicate information.

What about communicating/transferring the 1st water molecule the "H20". This i guess can be effectively done using wormhole only. Other that vehical/truck/train/aeroplane. Millions of life will be save .. Water is the need of mankind. There won't be desert areas . people won't starve..there won't be migrations. people will get water through there wormhole-watertap. Hows the idea !?

So in next 20/30 years if worm hole is understood and a protoype to trasfer a water molecule and small water drop is made..it will help us a lot.. I want to see in my life time water telecommunication / teleportation etc and not just information. Hence i want to start learning wormholes.

I am starting with academic books like Engineering Physics, Photonics , Mathematical Fundamentals of Fiber optics, and Lorentzian Wormholes: From Einstein to Hawking (AIP Series in Computational and Applied Mathematical Physics)
I want to get through with these books first later may see how to proceed with research work in my area of interest.

swaps2000 said:
I want to read more on wormhole theory and create speciality in wormhole theory . I am from engineering background, working in IT industry. so totally out of touch with physics and mathematics.Can anyone suggest some road map for me. How i can grasp the intricacies of wormhole theories.

Well...

The current research on wormholes involve trying to mathematically prove whether they can exist or not. Most physicists very, very strong suspect that they are mathematically impossible, but actually proving it turns out to be tricky.

So any discussion of engineering is a bit premature.

swaps2000 said:
Actually i am a big fan of sci-fi like star trek,eureka,big bang theory,through the wormhole...all these developed an inevitable interest in me for physics.

When you have your head in the clouds, you have to keep your feet on the ground.

One thing that you need to remember is that no one knows if wormholes are possible, and most physicists that I know think that they aren't. No one has mathematically proven that they are impossible which is why people write books on it, but these books are ***extremely*** speculative.

Specially wormhole theory. I am from Electronic and Communication background. Morever Comunication has been my passion.

How much E&M do you know? If you feel comfortable with the mathematics of electromagnetic fields, then with two or three years of work, you can probably at least follow the discussion of wormholes.

Millions of life will be save .. Water is the need of mankind. There won't be desert areas . people won't starve..there won't be migrations. people will get water through there wormhole-watertap. Hows the idea !?

Not a good one. Most of these sorts of problems are social and political ones and technical solutions influence them but won't be a quick fix. Also, there are environmental issues, if you green the Sahara, it might destroy the Earth's climate.

Also if you could make wormholes, then would likely be useable as a very nasty weapon. The other thing is that the world is what it is. It's a bad idea to fall in love with wormholes, since your destiny may be the person that mathematically proves that they can't exist.

twofish-quant said:
So any discussion of engineering is a bit premature.

Hahahaha that one got me cracking!

Theres a really cool episode about wormholes on Black Hole High but that's science fiction...Wow it would be really cool to get a PhD on wormholes though!

absurdist said:
.Wow it would be really cool to get a PhD on wormholes though!

Been done...

http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/1997PhDT...30F

The current state of research (and if there is any new information I'd love to hear it) is that you can find wormhole solutions for Einstein's equations, but these solutions invariably involve some condition which is physically unrealistic. It's also possible to take physically realistic matter and make wormholes exist in some modifications of Einstein's equations.

It's a fascinating *mathematical* puzzle since by thinking about the problem we end up understanding the mathematics of gravity better, but its not ready for engineering. My hunch (and this is only a hunch) is that wormholes can't exist because if they could, nature would have produced them at some point in the history of the universe.

Most of the research on the topic is mathematical, and it's pretty "hard nosed." 2+2=4. You may want it to equal 3 or 5, but it doesn't. Similarly, it's a bad idea to want wormholes to exist or not exist too much, because when you work out the maths, it may not give you the result that you want.

Last edited:

Thanks guys !

Thanks for the response.. I found no one so much talking with me on topic expect you...it like world was too much commercialized.

Any way but even if wormhole may be impossible. Is it proved with absolute mathematical clarity that they are impossible.

Swaps

My hunch (and this is only a hunch) is that wormholes can't exist because if they could, nature would have produced them at some point in the history of the universe.

I'm not sure how damning this is. Would we recognize an observation of a wormhole? How might one be observed in the first place? How can we be certain that nature hasn't produced them?

Also i guess we (the current generation) need to keep just trying to prove it impossible. So the next generation can find an alternate solution for problem. Further this cannot be about only about engineering or science . It's something about what man can achieve in his lifetime that can create a difference to the masses! Hope you agree with this..

swaps2000 said:
Any way but even if wormhole may be impossible. Is it proved with absolute mathematical clarity that they are impossible.

No it's not. In fact one reason people write books on it is that people have shown that it *is* possible to create a wormhole under some conditions, but it appears that those conditions are not realistic. (For example, you often end up with matter with negative energy.)

Part of the reason that this is such an interesting field is that the equations are so complicated, that it takes a very strong effort by some of the smartest people in the world to figure out what is possible and what isn't, and we still aren't sure. Even the effort of trying to show that something is possible or impossible requires a lot of new mathematical techniques.

You might want to take a look at this paper...

Wormholes in spacetime and their use for interstellar travel: A tool for teaching general relativity
- http://www.physics.uofl.edu/wkomp/teaching/spring2006/589/final/wormholes.pdf

Don't know about your level of math, but if you can do partial differential equations, you can get yourself to the point where you can understand that paper with a year or so of work.

Last edited by a moderator:

By the way, I once saw a fun paper that suggests we can use wormholes in the early universe to explain the horizon problem!

You are ryt...since it is complicated it is very interesting. And to solve complicated problem..unity is required.. The world best brains if unite to create super-brain we may solve it... Even current Technology can be a big help in understanding wormhole in next 10years top.

Also i am just talking prematurely on microscopic possibility of wormholes that can be accessible. So a microscopic amount of negative energy may be detected to keep them open.

Last edited:

Fascinating..Wish I could take a break from the banality of my daily life to even begin to contemplate the science behind nature's wonders..these ppl don't know how lucky they are to be staring at 'god' right in the eyes

chronon said:
I've a list of books and papers related to wormholes at http://www.chronon.org/books/wormholes.html

I fully support the recommendation to read Visser's text. Without a knowledge of GR or QFT you won't get much out of it, but I think even an undergraduate preparation in GR and quantum theory means you can understand a lot it (much of the QFT is based on heuristics anyways, since we have no theory of quantum gravity).

swaps2000 said:
Hi all

Try this readable Wormhole FAQ.

absurdist said:
Fascinating..Wish I could take a break from the banality of my daily life to even begin to contemplate the science behind nature's wonders..these ppl don't know how lucky they are to be staring at 'god' right in the eyes

If you want to stare at god, all you have to do is look around you. Look at yourself in the mirror and the animals that are scurrying across the path.

Take a look at the cells under a microscope, or spectacles like the ocean or the grand canyon.

It's right in front of you if you decide to pay attention.

absurdist said:

Lucky or cursed. Sometimes, I'm not sure.

One thing that I've learned. Don't stare God in the eyes. It's rude and it's dangerous, and it will fry your brain to the point that you won't be able to do anything useful.

what are the steps we need to follow systematically to make a microscopic wormhole. which we can control. Can anyone suggest some steps .

HarryRool said:
Try this readable Wormhole FAQ.

thanks harry..this will help me!

swaps2000 said:
what are the steps we need to follow systematically to make a microscopic wormhole. which we can control. Can anyone suggest some steps .

1. Bring 1/2 cup of water to a boil.
2. Add eye of newt and dragon's tongue (The flower).

Oh, never mind, forget my recipe, here's a better one:

1. Learn some physics (i.e. go to university)
2. Realize how silly your question really is.

At the risk of sounding mean, physics isn't like in the movies. The sooner you get rid of the romanticized ideal of what physics is, the sooner you'll appreciate the world around you.

In string theory , there may be even higher dimensional wormholes that connects between our universe and another parallel universe .that it connects between our three dimensional brane and another brane .

1. What is a wormhole?

A wormhole is a theoretical concept in physics that suggests the existence of a shortcut through space-time, connecting two distant points in the universe. It is often described as a tunnel with two entrances, or a bridge between two distant locations.

2. How are wormholes created?

Wormholes are not yet confirmed to exist, but according to current theory, they can be created through the manipulation of space-time by extremely strong gravitational forces, such as those found near black holes or through the use of exotic matter with negative energy.

3. Can wormholes be used for time travel?

The concept of using wormholes for time travel is popular in science fiction, but it is currently not supported by scientific evidence. While some theories suggest that time travel may be possible through wormholes, it is highly speculative and not yet proven.

4. What is the difference between a wormhole and a black hole?

While both wormholes and black holes involve extreme gravitational forces, they serve different purposes. A black hole is a point in space with a gravitational pull so strong that nothing, including light, can escape it. A wormhole, on the other hand, is a tunnel between two distant points in space.

5. How can I learn more about wormhole theory?

If you are interested in learning more about wormhole theory, you can read scientific articles and books on the subject, attend lectures and conferences, and even participate in online forums and discussions with other scientists and experts in the field. It is a complex and ongoing area of research, so there is much to discover and discuss.