Got any physics-themed dish ideas for a cookoff?

In summary: Thanks for the tip!In summary, these are some physics-themed dishes that might be good for a cookoff. Josephson sandwiches, quarkies (cookies), n-body salad, capacitor sandwich, gaussian gumbo, quantum couscous, atomic plum pudding, Newton apples, Kepler onion rings, Tokamak Donuts, Lamb shift-kabobs, scattered Raman noodles, Fig Newtons, Brane soup, Carnot cake, Pumpkin Pi, Froot Loop Quantum Gravity, Hawking in the hole pudding, and Joule Thompson cheese puffs.
quasar_4
Hi all,

my department's having a cookoff and I am wondering if anyone has any cute names for a dish that are really physics-related. So far we have Tesla coiled marshmallows and thomson cookies... any ideas out there? It can be any type of dish, I just need a humorous physics name to match.

Physics news on Phys.org
Josephson sandwiches?
But make sure it is only a tri-layer structure, otherwise it gets complicated :wink:

If you could make one of these sandwiches, I'd be impressed:
http://dresdencodak.com/cartoons/guest_tyrus.html

Last edited by a moderator:
haha, I am loving it. I also am considering bosonic brownies, quarkies (cookies) and n-body salad. Hehe, if only this is how homework usually was...

The capacitor sandwich
Gaussian gumbo
Quantum couscous

Atomic plum pudding (now with 20% more neutrons!)

Calabi-Yau Pretzels

Newton Apples

Kepler Onion Rings

Tokamak Donuts (with hot cream filling of course, mmmmm)
If you forgot to bring a dish, just tell your coworkers you made a Bose-Einstein Condensate but it destructively interfered with itself :(

Lamb shift-kabobs
Planck steak
scattered Raman noodles
Fig Newtons
and for after the eats, a physics with a strange flavor to settle your GUT.

http://www.ligo.com.ph/images/sardines_3.jpg

http://www.einsteinbros.com/ bagels

http://archive.ncsa.uiuc.edu/Cyberia/Cosmos/QuarkSoup.html Quark Soup

Brownian motion sarnie.

Brane soup.

jimmysnyder said:
Fig Newtons

Make sure they are Sig Fig Newtons!

And "Neutrinos" always sounded like a tiny after-dinner mint to me. (Or a breakfast cereal). They would be small, but you would need a hell of a lot of them. I mean barrels full of them.

wolram said:
Brane soup.

make sure it's thick as p-brane soup

Carnot cake.

Hubble and squeak.

No bees Lisagna

Last edited:
Spaghettified loops in tomato sauce.

http://www.madehow.com/Volume-5/Cheese-Curl.html Cheese Curl: [tex]\nabla \times Cheese[/tex]

Pumpkin Pi
1814259248_95da1bdc08_o.jpg

Froot Loop Quantum Gravity
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/ce/Frootloopsbox.jpg

an easy one for the lazy party-goer: string theory cheese.

These ideas are hilarious! :biggrin: What a fun idea for a party/gathering!

wolram said:
Carnot cake.

That reminds me of way back when I was a kid, just learning to read. We had the school lunch menu posted in the kitchen, so we'd know which days to pack a lunch and which days we wanted to buy lunch. My mom never seemed very inclined to answer me when I would ask what the "car rots" were on the menu. :biggrin: I think my mom must have believe in experiential learning or some such, that I had to figure it out on my own by eventually realizing that it was carrots that were served everytime that word appeared on the menu. :uhh: Maybe she didn't think I was seriously asking, since I really disliked cooked carrots as a kid, so calling them car rots might have been perfectly expected of me. :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
These ideas are hilarious! :biggrin: What a fun idea for a party/gathering!

That reminds me of way back when I was a kid, just learning to read. We had the school lunch menu posted in the kitchen, so we'd know which days to pack a lunch and which days we wanted to buy lunch. My mom never seemed very inclined to answer me when I would ask what the "car rots" were on the menu. :biggrin: I think my mom must have believe in experiential learning or some such, that I had to figure it out on my own by eventually realizing that it was carrots that were served everytime that word appeared on the menu. :uhh: Maybe she didn't think I was seriously asking, since I really disliked cooked carrots as a kid, so calling them car rots might have been perfectly expected of me. :biggrin:

Pfft, you think cooked carrots were bad? Try tater tot casserole with tuna in it!

franznietzsche said:
Pfft, you think cooked carrots were bad? Try tater tot casserole with tuna in it!

:yuck: Eeew! The other kids thought I was weird enough for not liking tater tots. I can't imagine using them to make a casserole with tuna!

Hawking in the hole pudding.

Lasts for ages

Moonbear said:
:yuck: Eeew! The other kids thought I was weird enough for not liking tater tots. I can't imagine using them to make a casserole with tuna!

I hate tater tots, always did. I love potatoes normally, but for some reason (likely cheap oil and other ingredients) tater tots have always seemed just gross to me. But yeah, it was some nasty stuff.

Maxwell House coffee

Brian Greene beans

Ham[ilton] and Cheese sandwich

"Bohr's Head" Roast Beef

Don't forget to serve everything on Caven dishes.

Joule Thompson cheese puffs.

Baezed steak

Entropy popcorn

Math Jeans said:
Entropy popcorn

Finally... someone identifies the true reason that whenever I use my air-popper, there ends up being popcorn all over the kitchen! And I always thought it must be Bernoullian in source, concerning the aerodynamics of the low and the shape/position of the bowl!

I can finally just give up (and let my husband deal with it).

franznietzsche said:
I hate tater tots, always did. I love potatoes normally, but for some reason (likely cheap oil and other ingredients) tater tots have always seemed just gross to me. But yeah, it was some nasty stuff.

Ooh, yet another support group I can form at PF. Tater tot haters group. :biggrin: I don't think it helped that when I was in school, there were no fried foods. Everything was baked in an oven. French fries, hamburgers, chicken nuggets, etc., all baked. If they were going to have something against fried foods, why serve meals that are supposed to be fried? Roasted chicken and potatoes would have been just fine. Even the fake, instant mashed potatoes were better than french fries baked in an oven. :yuck: But, I don't think tater tots are food. I think they're the foam pellets that go in those toy guns...the ones you pump with air to pop out the pellet. :uhh:

One must have some Heisenberg beer at the party.

wolram said:
One must have some Heisenberg beer at the party.
ahahah!
What about a superfluid Heisenberg one? :tongue2:

Fractal vegetables

romanesco.jpg

Lamb shift kebabs

I think I would bake peanut butter cup cookies and call it a box of Schrodinger's cookies. They could be cookies, they could be candies.

1. What are some examples of physics-themed dishes for a cookoff?

Some examples of physics-themed dishes for a cookoff could include "Newton's Apple Pie" (an apple pie with a lattice crust in the shape of an apple falling from a tree), "Quantum Quinoa Salad" (a salad with ingredients arranged in a fractal pattern), or "Galileo's Gravity Cake" (a layered cake with each layer representing a different planet's gravitational pull).

2. How do you incorporate physics concepts into a dish?

There are many ways to incorporate physics concepts into a dish. This could include using ingredients that represent different elements or particles (such as using blueberries to represent protons and raspberries to represent neutrons), arranging food in a specific pattern or shape to represent a scientific concept, or using cooking techniques that demonstrate a physical principle (such as using liquid nitrogen to make a dish instantly freeze).

3. Can you provide a vegetarian or vegan option for a physics-themed dish?

Absolutely! There are many ways to make a physics-themed dish that is vegetarian or vegan. For example, you could create a "Black Hole Burger" using a black bean patty and a bun with a spiral pattern to represent the gravitational pull of a black hole. Or, you could make a "Solar System Soup" using a variety of vegetables cut into different sizes and arranged in a bowl to represent the planets orbiting the sun.

4. Are there any safety concerns when creating physics-themed dishes?

Yes, it is important to keep safety in mind when creating any dish, including physics-themed ones. For example, if using liquid nitrogen, it is important to handle it carefully and use protective gear. Additionally, make sure to properly cook any meat or seafood dishes to avoid foodborne illnesses. It is always a good idea to consult with a professional chef or experienced cook to ensure proper safety measures are taken.

5. Can children participate in a physics-themed cookoff?

Yes, children can definitely participate in a physics-themed cookoff! In fact, it can be a great way to introduce them to scientific concepts in a fun and interactive way. You can involve them in the planning and preparation process, and even have them help with the cooking. Just make sure to supervise them and ensure they are using kitchen tools and appliances safely.