History of the Taylor-Phipps version of the Stern-Gerlach experiment

In summary, the conversation is about the historical context of the Taylor-Phipps version of the Stern-Gerlach experiment using hydrogen. The sources they have found use the Schrodinger equation to explain why no splitting would be expected without spin, but it is not clear how they knew the Schrodinger equation was correct. The Bohr-Sommerfeld model, which is consistent with experiment, is not mentioned. However, it is noted that in the Bohr-Sommerfeld model, the S-state electron would have a magnetic moment and would show two splitting in the S-G experiment. The Schrodinger equation was accepted as the correct model after it was able to explain the helium energy, while the Bohr-Sommer
transience
Hi,

I'm at the tail end of writing an essay about the Stern-Gerlach experiment and I am wondering if anyone knows of any reliable sources that discuss the historical context of the Taylor-Phipps version of the Stern-Gerlach experiment using hydrogen.

All of the sources that I find use the Schrodinger equation to claim that no splitting would be expected without spin, how do they know that the Schrodinger equation was accepted as right? Were there other compelling experiments to suggest that the Schrodinger equation must be real? They make it seem like the Bohr-Sommerfeld theory had been discarded already despite it being consistent with experiment and they don't mention why.

I have the original paper and they confirm the value of the Bohr magneton and that's it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
transcience said:
All of the sources that I find use the Schrodinger equation to claim that no splitting would be expected without spin, how do they know that the Schrodinger equation was accepted as right? Were there other compelling experiments to suggest that the Schrodinger equation must be real? They make it seem like the Bohr-Sommerfeld theory had been discarded already despite it being consistent with experiment and they don't mention why.

In the Schrodinger-equation based theory, the S-state electron with no spin would have no magnetic moment. So in the Stern-Gerlach(S-G) experiment, no splitting would be seen in that state.

In the Bohr-Sommerfeld model, due to the quantization of the angular momentum (+1,0,-1), it is said to be splitted into three in the S-G experiment.
But in page 438 of the Historical Development of Quantum Theory by Jagdish Mehra, which is a good textbook of the S-G and Bohr model history,

-------------------------
Niels Bohr had excluded the possibility that the spatial quantum number n1 be zero because then the plane of the electron orbit would contain the direction of magnetic field and the electron motion might become instable under certain conditions. Terefore in quantum theory(of Bohr model), the magnetic moment of an atom should possesses only two discrete positions, parallel or antiparallel.
----------------------------

Bohr commented this thinking that also in Bohr model, S-G experiment would show the two splitting.
I think his idea at this time is very natural.

The magnetic moment= g-factor x angular momentum.
So the S-state electron of the Bohr model has the same magnetic moment as that of the Schrodinger equation model (due to 1 x 1 = 2 x 1/2(spin) = Bohr magneton).
(I was looking for, but the hydrogen S-G experiment was not found in the upper book. Sorry.)

The Schrodinger equation was left as the result of the long struggle for the proper model which shows the correct helium ground state energy in 1920's.
See this thread for more. (#19 by ytuab)

And the anomalous Zeeman effect was also important, which is a little complicated.

Thank you,

The fact that the Schrodinger equation could explain the helium energy and the Bohr-Sommerfeld model could not is exactly what I was missing.

1. What is the Taylor-Phipps version of the Stern-Gerlach experiment?

The Taylor-Phipps version of the Stern-Gerlach experiment is an upgraded version of the original experiment conducted by Otto Stern and Walther Gerlach in 1922. It was designed by physicists George E. Phipps and Eric E. Taylor in 1955 to improve the accuracy and precision of the original experiment.

2. What were the improvements made in the Taylor-Phipps version of the experiment?

The Taylor-Phipps version of the experiment incorporated a more powerful magnetic field, a longer flight path for the particles, and a more sensitive detection system. These improvements allowed for more precise measurements and reduced the effects of external disturbances on the particles.

3. How did the Taylor-Phipps version of the experiment contribute to the understanding of quantum mechanics?

The Taylor-Phipps version of the experiment provided further evidence for the quantization of angular momentum in quantum mechanics. It also confirmed the existence of spin, a fundamental property of particles, and its role in determining the behavior of particles in a magnetic field.

4. What were the results of the Taylor-Phipps version of the experiment?

The results of the Taylor-Phipps version of the experiment confirmed the previous findings of the Stern-Gerlach experiment, namely the quantization of angular momentum and the existence of spin. It also provided more precise measurements and better understanding of the behavior of particles in a magnetic field.

5. How has the Taylor-Phipps version of the experiment influenced modern research in quantum mechanics?

The Taylor-Phipps version of the experiment has been replicated and built upon by numerous scientists over the years, leading to further advancements in the understanding of quantum mechanics. It has also inspired new experiments and technologies, such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), which uses similar principles to produce images of the human body.