Understanding Fractional Reduction: Solving Complex Fractions with Ease

In summary, this seems to be the right section to post, I have a few questions, three fractions that I know the answer for but I just can't figure out how they were arrived at (the middle step). I was wondering if anyone could help me solve either of these three that would be great.
toneboy1
Hi, this seems like the right section to post, I have a few questions, three fractions that I know the answer for but I just can't figure out how they were arrived at (the middle step).
The only way I can think of solving them is expanding it all out etc. which would result in a 100 term cubic polynomial, so I'm sure there is an easier way to get to the final fraction.
If anyone can help me solve either of these three that would be great.
Please see the pictures for the questions.

P.S the 'j' is 'i', that is the square root of -1.

Thanks

Attachments

• Algebraic questions.PNG
    Algebraic questions.PNG
    7.6 KB · Views: 433
  • possible other question.PNG
    possible other question.PNG
    2.7 KB · Views: 378
Physics news on Phys.org
hi toneboy1! :smile:

for the first one, two hints:

i] the denominator of the solution is a2 + b2, which factors as … ?

ii] the first two denominators are almost identical, only some of the terms are multiplied by -1, so group together all the terms that are and all the terms that aren't :wink:

tiny-tim said:

for the first one, two hints:

i] the denominator of the solution is a2 + b2, which factors as … ?

ii] the first two denominators are almost identical, only some of the terms are multiplied by -1, so group together all the terms that are and all the terms that aren't :wink:

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it.

Err...well I do remember a2+b2=(a+b)2-2ab
and I can see the solution of the first is squared like that but I don't see how it was originally (a+b)2-2ab.

Likewise I can see they're almost identical but I can't see what you mean by grouping the positive and negative ones...

(just got up :zzz:)

a2+b2 = a2 - (ib)2 = (a + ib)(a - ib) ? :wink:

Well hopefully you've had your coffee now.

Please, treat me like an idiot, I still don't see quite what your getting at.

Thanks

try factoring the denominator of the RHS (the a2 + b2 one) …

then compare it with the LHS, and you may see what's going on :wink:

Ok, applying '(a + ib)(a - ib)' to the RHS I got: (-w2+4jw-1-4w+j8)(-w2+4jw-1+4w-8j)...which doesn't mean a hell of a lot to me.

But I only included the RHS answer to the question for varifications sake, it shouldn't be really necessary.

ok, for the LHS, write out separately the terms in the denominators which are the same for both denominators, and the terms which are minus each other …

what do you get? :smile:

You're the boss.
Ok well than you'd get: 16j - 8jw - 8w on the denominator (?)

Thanks

uhh? :confused:

if you expand each denonimator on the LHS, there are 9 terms which are the same apart possibly for a minus sign (5 are the same, 4 are minus)

write out the ones that are the same, and then the ones that are minus :smile:

what I previously posted was what I thought the result was, as the denominators I expanded to be:

[-w2+4w+4jw-8j-1]-[-w2-4w+8j+4jw-1] = 16j - 8jw - 8w ...or was it -8w + 16j...

Thanks

1. What is fractional reduction trouble?

Fractional reduction trouble is a phenomenon that occurs when a fractional number is repeatedly divided and the resulting answer is not an integer or whole number. This can also be referred to as having a non-terminating or non-repeating decimal.

2. How is fractional reduction trouble relevant in science?

In science, fractional reduction trouble can arise when dealing with measurements and calculations that involve fractions. This can impact the accuracy and precision of results, and it is important to understand how to properly handle fractions to avoid this issue.

3. What causes fractional reduction trouble?

Fractional reduction trouble is caused by the fact that some fractions cannot be represented accurately in decimal form. For example, the fraction 1/3 cannot be expressed as a finite decimal, and will instead have a repeating decimal of 0.333... This can lead to errors in calculations and measurements.

4. How can fractional reduction trouble be avoided?

To avoid fractional reduction trouble, it is important to use proper methods of rounding and approximating when dealing with fractions. It may also be helpful to convert fractions to decimals or use other mathematical techniques to accurately represent the value.

5. Are there any real-life applications of fractional reduction trouble?

Yes, fractional reduction trouble can be encountered in various fields such as engineering, physics, and chemistry. For example, when calculating concentrations of solutions or measurements in experiments, fractional reduction trouble may occur if proper methods are not used to handle fractions.