Derivatives, rates of change (triangle and angle)

In summary, the triangle is increasing in area by .06 rad per second as the angle between the sides of fixed length (4 meters and 5 meters) is increasing by 0.06 rad per second.
physics604
1. Two sides of a triangle are 4 m and 5 m in length and the angle between them is increasing at a rate of 0.06 rad/s. Find the rate at which the area of the triangle is increasing when the angle
between the sides of fixed length is [itex]\pi[/itex]/3.

Homework Equations

$$A=\frac{xysinθ}{2}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

Given:
$$\frac{dθ}{dt}=0.06$$ $$θ=\frac{\pi}{3}$$ $$x=4$$ $$y=5$$
Find: $$\frac{dA}{dt}$$

$$2A=xysinθ$$ $$2lnA=lnxysinθ$$ $$2\frac{1}{A}\frac{dA}{dt}=lnx+lny+lnsinθ$$

The problem now is that everything on the right cancels out, because x and y are constant, and the derivative sinθ is 0.

Am I doing this correctly? Where can I go from here?

Physics news on Phys.org
You already have $$A(t)=10\sin\!\big(\theta (t)\big)$$ since xy/2=10.
What's wrong with differentiating both sides wrt t?

Notes:

##\ln(2A)\neq 2\ln(A)##

##\frac{d}{dt}\sin\theta \neq 0## because ##\theta## is a function of time.

Last edited:
Okay, but I still get

$$A=10sinθ$$ $$\frac{dA}{dt}=10\frac{dsinθ}{dt}$$

Hint: chain rule

Aside: in LaTeX, you format special functions by putting a backsash in front of the abbreviation
i.e \ln(x) becomes ##\ln(x)## and \sin\theta becomes ##\sin\theta## ... cool huh?

$$\frac{dsinθ}{dt}=\frac{d}{dx}\frac{sinθ}{t}?$$

Is this correct? I really have no idea what to do with it.

No - theta is a function of time.

The chain rule says $$\frac{d}{dt}f(g(t)) = \frac{df}{dg}\frac{dg}{dt}$$

physics604 said:
$$\frac{dsinθ}{dt}=\frac{d}{dx}\frac{sinθ}{t}?$$

Is this correct? I really have no idea what to do with it.

Do you know the formula for the derivative of the sine function; that is, can you say what is
[tex] \frac{d}{dw} \sin(w)\:?[/tex]
If not, you need to go back to the very beginning of your calculus notes, or maybe you are taking material that is beyond your background, If you DO know it, just use it in the chain rule.

cosw

$$cosθ(t)×\frac{dθ}{dt}?$$

Now you've got it :)

1. What are derivatives?

Derivatives are mathematical tools used to describe and analyze the rates of change of a function. They represent the slope of a tangent line to a curve at a specific point.

2. How are derivatives calculated?

Derivatives can be calculated using various methods such as the limit definition, the power rule, the product rule, and the quotient rule. The choice of method depends on the complexity of the function.

3. What is the difference between triangle and angle derivatives?

Triangle derivatives involve finding the rate of change of one variable with respect to another, while angle derivatives involve finding the rate of change of an angle in a geometric figure. Triangle derivatives use algebraic methods, while angle derivatives use trigonometric methods.

4. Why are derivatives important?

Derivatives have many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. They are used to optimize functions, model real-world phenomena, and solve problems involving rates of change.

5. What is the relationship between derivatives and integrals?

Derivatives and integrals are inverse operations, meaning that they "undo" each other. The derivative of a function gives its rate of change, while the integral of a function gives its total change over an interval. This relationship is known as the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus.