Calculating Angle of Elevation Rate of Change for an External Elevator

In summary: Right. Though you actually didn't need to find ##\theta##, right? All you need is ##\cos(\theta)=\frac{30}{\sqrt{1300}}##.
squenshl

Homework Statement

A building has an external elevator. The elevator is rising at a constant rate of ##2 \; \text{ms}^{-1}##.
Sarah is stationary, watching the elevator from a point 30m away from the base of the elevator shaft.
Let the angle of elevation of the elevator floor from Sarah's eye level be ##\theta##.

Find the rate at which the angle of elevation is increasing when the elevator floor is 20m above Sarah’s eye level.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Am I trying to find ##\frac{d\theta}{dt} = \frac{d\theta}{dh}\times \frac{dh}{dt}##. We know ##\frac{dh}{dt} = 2##. Am I on the right track?

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
squenshl said:

Homework Statement

A building has an external elevator. The elevator is rising at a constant rate of ##2 \; \text{ms}^{-1}##.
Sarah is stationary, watching the elevator from a point 30m away from the base of the elevator shaft.
Let the angle of elevation of the elevator floor from Sarah's eye level be ##\theta##.

Find the rate at which the angle of elevation is increasing when the elevator floor is 20m above Sarah’s eye level.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Am I trying to find ##\frac{d\theta}{dt} = \frac{d\theta}{dh}\times \frac{dh}{dt}##. We know ##\frac{dh}{dt} = 2##. Am I on the right track?

Why not just keep going and see what you get?

Ray Vickson said:
Why not just keep going and see what you get?
Ok then. ##h = 30 \tan{(\theta)}## so ##\frac{dh}{d\theta} = 30\sec^2{(\theta)}##. Hence, ##\frac{d\theta}{dt} = \frac{\cos^2{(\theta)}}{15}##.

squenshl said:
Ok then. ##h = 30 \tan{(\theta)}## so ##\frac{dh}{d\theta} = 30\sec^2{(\theta)}##. Hence, ##\frac{d\theta}{dt} = \frac{\cos^2{(\theta)}}{15}##.

Fine so far. But you should be able to express ##\frac{d\theta}{dt}## as a numerical value. What is ##\cos(\theta)## when ##h=20##?

squenshl said:

Good. That is exactly what I was hoping you would do.

I was basically encouraging you to do more on your own, by taking a chance and trying out something---win or lose. That is how we all learned.

Ray Vickson said:
Good. That is exactly what I was hoping you would do.

I was basically encouraging you to do more on your own, by taking a chance and trying out something---win or lose. That is how we all learned.
Thanks for all your help.
I found the length of the hypotenuse then calculated ##\theta = \cos^{-1}\left(\frac{30}{\sqrt{1300}}\right)## then threw that solution into ##\frac{d\theta}{dt}##.

squenshl said:
Thanks for all your help.
I found the length of the hypotenuse then calculated ##\theta = \cos^{-1}\left(\frac{30}{\sqrt{1300}}\right)## then threw that solution into ##\frac{d\theta}{dt}##.

Right. Though you actually didn't need to find ##\theta##, right? All you need is ##\cos(\theta)=\frac{30}{\sqrt{1300}}##.

1. What is the rate of change?

The rate of change is the speed at which a variable or quantity is changing over a specific period of time.

2. How do you calculate the rate of change?

The rate of change is calculated by finding the difference between two points on a graph or data set, and dividing that difference by the time interval between the two points. This can also be written as the change in y divided by the change in x.

3. What is the difference between average rate of change and instantaneous rate of change?

The average rate of change is calculated over a specific time interval, while the instantaneous rate of change is calculated at a specific point in time. In other words, the average rate of change gives a general overview of the change over a period of time, while the instantaneous rate of change gives a more precise measurement at a specific moment.

4. How is the rate of change used in real-world situations?

The rate of change is used to analyze and understand how variables or quantities are changing in real-world situations. It can be applied in fields such as physics, economics, and engineering to study trends and make predictions.

5. What factors can affect the rate of change?

The rate of change can be affected by various factors such as external forces, time, and the relationship between the variables being studied. It is important to consider these factors when analyzing and interpreting the rate of change in a given situation.