1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivatives, rates of change (triangle)

1. Dec 8, 2013 #1
    1. A plane flies horizontally at an altitude of 5 km and passes directly over a tracking telescope on the ground. When the angle of elevation is [itex]\frac{\pi}{3}[/itex], this angle is decreasing at a rate of -[itex]\frac{\pi}{3}[/itex] rad/min. How fast is the plane traveling at that time?

2. Relevant equations
    $$tanθ=\frac{opp}{hyp}$$
    3. The attempt at a solution

First I find the length of the top of the triangle, x. $$tan\frac{\pi}{3}=\frac{x}{5}$$ $$x=5\sqrt{3}$$
    Then I take the derivative.
    $$tanθ=\frac{x}{y}$$ $$sec^2x\frac{dθ}{dt}=\frac{y\frac{dx}{dt}-x\frac{dx}{dt}}{y^2}$$ The y, or altitude, is always constant so $$sec^2x\frac{dθ}{dt}=\frac{y\frac{dx}{dt}}{y^2}$$ $$sec^2\frac{\pi}{3}×-\frac{\pi}{6}×5=\frac{dx}{dt}$$ $$\frac{dx}{dt}=-\frac{10}{3}\pi$$

The answer from my textbook is $$\frac{10}{9}\pi$$ What did I do wrong? Any help is much appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Is the angle of elevation measured from the vertical or the horizontal?

Check the time-derivative of the equation: ##x=y\tan\theta##

4. Dec 8, 2013 #3
    I checked the time derivative of x=tany but I still get $$\frac{dx}{dt}=sec^2θ×\frac{dθ}{dt}×y$$

I've also attached a drawing.

Attached Files:

• 234.png
      234.png
      File size:
      6.5 KB
      Views:
  5. Dec 9, 2013 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

That's good: $$\frac{dx}{dt}=y\sec^2\theta\frac{d\theta}{dt}$$

Now you have your answer.
    Hint:
    ##dx/dt## is the linear speed.
    ##\sec(\pi/3)=2##

That leaves only the interpretation ... is the angle ##\theta## in that formula the angle of elevation?
    See: http://www.mathwords.com/a/angle_elevation.htm

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted