When I look at the Milky Way, what am I looking at?

• Thread starter kmm
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Milky way
In summary, when observing the Milky Way, the direction in which the galactic center lies depends on the location in the sky. In the direction of Sagittarius, the galactic center can be seen during the summer months, but it cannot be seen directly due to the dust and gas in the way. The band of the Milky Way surrounds us, making it difficult to pinpoint a specific center. Additionally, galaxies that are small enough to appear as stars are too dim to be seen by the naked eye.
kmm
More specifically, when I look at the milky way am I seeing another arm of the galaxy or am I looking towards the center of the galaxy? I'm having a hard time finding a specific answer to this question. Thanks!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Well, the farthest away star visible to the naked eye is about 4,000 light years away but the milky way is 100,000 light years across and we are something like 1/3rd of the way from the edge towards the center, so you're not seeing much of it.

A few of the things you see are galaxies that are as much as 2 to 3 million light years away, but they are so small that they look like stars, I'm pretty sure.

Thanks! Ok so I won't actually see the center of the galaxy, but are you saying that I actually am I looking towards the center of the galaxy?

phy_infinite said:
Thanks! Ok so I won't actually see the center of the galaxy, but are you saying that I actually am I looking towards the center of the galaxy?

I THINK, but don't know for sure, that yes we are looking towards the center when we look at the center of the white band that is the Milky Way as we see it. You definitely can't see anywhere near as far as the center without a telescope.

Some of our astronomers can likely provide a more solid answer, so I hope one of them will jump in here.

phy_infinite said:
...when I look at the milky way am I seeing another arm of the galaxy or am I looking towards the center of the galaxy? I'm having a hard time finding a specific answer to this question. Thanks!

It depends on which part of the Milky Way you are observing. In the direction of Sagittarius lies the galactic center. If you were viewing the constellations of Taurus/Auriga, you would be looking in the opposite direction towards the edge of the galaxy.

Try using this map to orient yourself:
http://maps.nationalgeographic.com/maps/print-collection/milky-way.html

Jimmy said:
It depends on which part of the Milky Way you are observing. In the direction of Sagittarius lies the galactic center. If you were viewing the constellations of Taurus/Auriga, you would be looking in the opposite direction towards the edge of the galaxy.

Try using this map to orient yourself:
http://maps.nationalgeographic.com/maps/print-collection/milky-way.html

I'm referring to what phinds said. As he said, "..when we look at the center of the white band that is the Milky Way as we see it." In that case am I looking towards the center?

Jimmy said:

Yes correct

phy_infinite

the thing that stops us seeing the core of our galaxy isn't the distance, its all the dust and gas
that is between us and it.
We observe the core by the infrared light, gamma rays and X-rays that are emitted from it
we cannot see the visible light because of the intervening dust etc

Dave

davenn said:
phy_infinite

the thing that stops us seeing the core of our galaxy isn't the distance, its all the dust and gas
that is between us and it.
We observe the core by the infrared light, gamma rays and X-rays that are emitted from it
we cannot see the visible light because of the intervening dust etc

Dave

I understand why I can't see the core of our galaxy. I only want to know that when I look at the center of the white band in the sky, whether or not I am looking in the direction of the core of the galaxy.

The center of the galaxy is in the direction of the constellation Sagittarius.

phy_infinite said:
I only want to know that when I look at the center of the white band in the sky, whether or not I am looking in the direction of the core of the galaxy.

The band of the Milky Way surrounds us so there really isn't a center in that sense. In the summer—for the northern hemisphere—the galactic center can be seen* in the direction of Sagittarius. It will be the brightest part of the MW. In the winter, the sun obscures our view of the center but you can still see the faint glow of the spiral arms away from the center if you are at a dark site.

Winter MW left, Summer MW right:
http://twanight.org/newTWAN/photos/3001899.jpg

* The galactic center can't really be seen visually due to the intervening gas and dust, as davenn pointed out in post #7. I simply mean that that is the direction in which the center lies.

Last edited:
Cool! Thanks for the clarification Jimmy!

phinds said:
A few of the things you see are galaxies that are as much as 2 to 3 million light years away, but they are so small that they look like stars, I'm pretty sure.

Any galaxy that is small enough to be star sized is much too dim to be seen by the naked eye. The Small and Large Magellenic Clouds (close dwarf galaxies visible from the souther hemisphere) and the Andromeda galaxy is visible as patches of dim light from a dark site and the Triangelum Galaxy is visible from a very dark site if you have good enough eyes. If you count Omega Centauri as a dwarf galaxy that one is very easy from a darkish site (also an southern object and almost star sized). On top of that there is a couple of galaxies that might just about be possible if you have extremely good eyes and skies.

More info on wikipedia

Last edited:
glappkaeft said:
Any galaxy that is small enough to be star sized is much too dim to be seen by the naked eye.

OK, my "pretty sure" was wrong. Thanks for that correction.

What is the Milky Way?

The Milky Way is a large spiral galaxy that contains our solar system and billions of other stars, planets, and other celestial objects. It is located in the Local Group of galaxies and is estimated to be around 13.51 billion years old.

Why does the Milky Way look like a band of light in the sky?

The Milky Way appears as a band of light because we are viewing it edge-on from within the galaxy. The light we see is a combination of the light from billions of stars and interstellar dust and gas that make up the spiral arms of the galaxy.

Can we see the Milky Way from anywhere in the world?

Yes, the Milky Way can be seen from anywhere in the world as long as there is little light pollution and the sky is clear. However, the view may differ depending on your location in the world and the time of year.

How many stars are in the Milky Way?

It is estimated that there are between 100 billion to 400 billion stars in the Milky Way. However, recent studies suggest that there may be even more stars, possibly up to 1 trillion.

Is the Milky Way the only galaxy in the universe?

No, the Milky Way is just one of billions of galaxies in the observable universe. The exact number is unknown, but it is estimated that there are at least 2 trillion galaxies in the observable universe.