How Will Lower Liquid Helium Costs Impact Superconductor Development?

• Thread starter gapgirl1010
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Temperature
In summary, liquid nitrogen and liquid helium are both used to cool superconductors, but liquid nitrogen is more cost-effective due to its higher boiling point. The recent development of new technologies to store and cool liquid helium has brought its cost down. This may impact the direction of research and development in the field of superconductors.
gapgirl1010
Liquid Nitrogen vs. Liquid Helium

The reason that liquid nitrogen temperature superconductors are important is that liquid nitrogen costs less than liquid helium. New technologies to store liquid helium have been developed in the last year. This has brought the cost of liquid helium down. how might this affect the direction of the field?

PLease help me!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, the absolute zero is -173 right?

This is equal to 0 Kalvins right?
So which is a better superconducter?
Liquid Helium @ 3 K
Liquid Nitrogen @ 77K

PLease HelP!

The unit is called Kelvin, and absolute zero is 0 Kelvin or -273 degrees Celcius.

Absolute zero is characterised as 0 kelvins or 0 degrees Rankine, −273.15 °C, −459.67 °F.
i'm not a chemist, but i bash chemists for their incompetence.
I would suppose liquid nitrogen...

gapgirl1010 said:
Hi, the absolute zero is -173 right?

This is equal to 0 Kalvins right?
So which is a better superconducter?
Liquid Helium @ 3 K
Liquid Nitrogen @ 77K

PLease HelP!

It's -273.15 degrees celcius. Celcius to kelvin is an easy conversion since 1 degree celcius is the same as one kelvin, so T(kelvin) = T(celcius) + 273.15 degrees.

Understand first that Helium and Nitrogen aren't superconductors. They're used to cool the superconductors. Once you drop the temperature of the superconductive substance low enough, the internal resistance drops to near zero (it becomes a superconductor.) As far as what's going on with the superconductive material, they're both going to behave the same way once they reach the critical temperature.

The main difference is going to be cost. With it's higher boiling point, liquid nitrogen is *much* cheaper than liquid helium. The superconductor with the higher critical temperature will be more attractive from that perspective.

OKay, I get that thanks!

Well, first look at the boiling point of each liquid. Nitrogen condenses at 77 K while Helium condenses at 4.22 K.
It becomes increasingly expensive to cool something down. The closer to absolute zero (0K) something is cooled, the more it will cost.
Now, I believe that most superconductors must be chilled down below roughly 60 K. Most of the research today has been focusing on creating superconductors that can be cooled by Nitrogen.
Given this information and the information you already stated, how do you think the direction of the field will be affected?
~Steve

Last edited:
I have merged the 2 He/Hy threads, one is enough.

1. What is the definition of temperature in Kalvins?

Temperature in Kalvins is a unit of measurement for temperature that is based on the Kelvin scale. It is equivalent to the Kelvin scale, but with a different name to honor the scientist Lord Kelvin.

2. How do you convert from degrees Celsius to Kalvins?

To convert from degrees Celsius to Kalvins, simply add 273.15 to the temperature in degrees Celsius. This will give you the temperature in Kalvins.

3. Why is the Kelvin scale preferred over other temperature scales?

The Kelvin scale is preferred over other temperature scales because it is an absolute temperature scale, meaning that it has a true zero point. This makes it more accurate and easier to work with in scientific calculations.

4. Is there a maximum temperature on the Kelvin scale?

No, the Kelvin scale does not have a maximum temperature. As it is an absolute temperature scale, it can theoretically go on infinitely in both the positive and negative direction.

5. How is the temperature in Kalvins used in scientific research?

The temperature in Kalvins is commonly used in scientific research, particularly in fields such as chemistry and physics. It is often used to represent absolute zero, the lowest possible temperature in the universe. It is also used in equations and calculations involving temperature, as it is a more accurate and precise unit of measurement than other temperature scales.