Why can't we all be right?
The electric fieldstrength, big E with a vector sign on top, DOES fall as 1/r -- so it goes to zero at infinity. HallsofIvy said this, before going on to state that
The potential which gives rise to such a fieldstrength is a natural log--which diverges to negative infinity at infinity (and, like that of a point charge, is undefined at the origin.)
Bearing this in mind, I should probably revise some of the things I said, like my comment about the potential 'levelling off' if you got far enough away. Sure enough, an upside-down natural log doesn't level off, at least not for a very long time.
So I'll join with turin in saying that, while modelling a wire as 'infinitely long' makes a lot of sense if you're right next to it (i.e., the length of the wire is much greater than the radial distance from the wire to the test charge), any wire looks like a point if you get far enough away from it. Infinitely long wires don't exist, and unlike frictionless pendulums and massless springs, their lack of existence makes life easier, not harder.
P