Finding the mass of a screw

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the mass of a single screw given the masses of 5 cups with different numbers of screws inside. The problem is approached by making assumptions and using logic, with the conclusion that the largest common factor of the cup masses will determine the maximum possible weight of a single screw. It is also noted that the answer may require some assumptions and logic to determine the most reasonable value. Finally, the person who initially asked for help was able to solve the problem and is asked to share their method.
Engage
I have been given the masses of 5 cups, each with a different amount of screws inside.
1st cup = 13g
2nd cup = 19g
3rd cup = 8g
4th cup = 26g
5th cup = 38g

I need to find the mass of a single screw.

I was not given any equations or data besides those masses
I have no clue how to approach this, we have not done anything like it before and therefore have no skills to solve this. Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
first you have to make an assumption: all cups are the same weight and all screws are the same weight.

is there a common difference between these masses?

They're all integers right, so perhaps a screw weighs 1g? There's a mix of even and numbers so screw's can't weigh an even amount. Maybe they all weigh 3g, does that work? 5, 7 etc...?

Just mess around and see what you find, then in your answer explain the uncertainty and put in all the things you think it could be.

What is the largest common factor of those numbers? A screw cannot weigh more than that.

are you given the mass of the cup? if the cups are not massless then there will be a lot of possibilities for answers. and if the mass of the screws are allowed to be non integers, the question will have an infinite numbers of answers.

Last edited:
tim_lou said:
the question will have an infinite numbers of answers.
infinite possible answers.

Clearly the answer will have to include some assumptions and some logic to determine the most reasonable value. Given that all the data supplied are integers, I think we can manage to not overcomplicate the problem.

Thanks! I finally figured it out.

Could you please share with us how you figured it out? I'm interested in knowing

:cool:

1. How do I find the mass of a screw?

To find the mass of a screw, you will need a scale that measures in grams. First, make sure the scale is set to zero. Place the screw on the scale and record the measurement in grams. This will give you the mass of the screw.

2. What unit is used to measure the mass of a screw?

The mass of a screw is typically measured in grams (g) or milligrams (mg). In some cases, it may also be measured in kilograms (kg) for larger screws.

3. Can I use a ruler to find the mass of a screw?

No, a ruler is used to measure length and cannot accurately measure the mass of a screw. A scale that measures in grams is needed to find the mass of a screw.

4. Why is finding the mass of a screw important?

Finding the mass of a screw is important for several reasons. It can help determine the strength and durability of the screw, as well as its weight distribution. It is also important for calculating the weight load a screw can handle.

5. Is the mass of a screw the same as its weight?

No, the mass of a screw is not the same as its weight. Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on that object. Therefore, the mass of a screw will remain the same regardless of its location, but its weight may vary depending on the strength of gravity in that location.