Find φ(x,y) Using Killing Vectors: Conformal Function

• Thread starter astronomia84
  • Start date
In summary: There are various equivalent forms; the one involving the Lie Derivative of the metric may be most useful here)
astronomia84
Does anyone know how can find φ(x,y) (conformal function)
if [tex] \xi =(y,-x) [/tex] & [tex] \eta = (x,y) [/tex] is killing vectors
,for this metric [tex]ds^2 = \phi(x,y)(dx^2 +dy^2) [/tex]

?

o:) :rofl:

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, [itex]\xi[/itex] and [itex]\eta[/itex] will satisfy Killing's equation, so use this, and you should be able to find [itex]\phi(x,y)[/itex]

thanks

cristo said:
Well, [itex]\xi[/itex] and [itex]\eta[/itex] will satisfy Killing's equation, so use this, and you should be able to find [itex]\phi(x,y)[/itex]

thanks cristo
,something more ...
:biggrin:

Well, what is Killing's equation? (There are various equivalent forms; the one involving the Lie Derivative of the metric may be most useful here)

Thank For All

cristo said:
Well, what is Killing's equation? (There are various equivalent forms; the one involving the Lie Derivative of the metric may be most useful here)

YOU CAN WRITE THE FIRST STEPS FOR THE PROBLEM...
:blushing:

astronomia84 said:
YOU CAN WRITE THE FIRST STEPS FOR THE PROBLEM...
:blushing:

If you need somebody to write down the first steps towards solving this, you're hardly in a position to be attempting to answer the question.

Look, it's quite simple: you're being asked to find an expression for a two-dimensional conformal factor [itex]\phi(x,y)[/itex]. You are given the metric:

[itex] g_{ij} = \phi(x,y)\delta_{ij}[/itex]

and you're also given two Killing vectors. In order to solve the problem, start by thinking about what Killing's equation is. If [itex]\vec{\xi}[/itex] is a Killing vector, and [itex]\nabla[/itex] is a connection, what is Killing's equation?

answer---answer

coalquay404 said:
If you need somebody to write down the first steps towards solving this, you're hardly in a position to be attempting to answer the question.

Look, it's quite simple: you're being asked to find an expression for a two-dimensional conformal factor [itex]\phi(x,y)[/itex]. You are given the metric:

[itex] g_{ij} = \phi(x,y)\delta_{ij}[/itex]

and you're also given two Killing vectors. In order to solve the problem, start by thinking about what Killing's equation is. If [itex]\vec{\xi}[/itex] is a Killing vector, and [itex]\nabla[/itex] is a connection, what is Killing's equation?

MY QUESTION IS NOT HOMEWORK.
MY FIRST POST IS HERE…
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=154436
AND MOVED HERE.
I READ FOR MY EXAMINATIONS IN GENERAL RELATIVITY.
IF YOU CAN HELP ME ANSWER.I DO NOT REQUEST.
:bugeye: :bugeye: :bugeye:
THANKS FOR ALL MY FRIENDS.

MY FIRST POST IS HERE…

Physics -->Special & General Relativity -->Killing Problem 1

Again, let me ask you the same question:

What is Killing's equation?

1. What is a conformal function?

A conformal function is a mathematical function that preserves angles between curves. In other words, a conformal function distorts the shape of a curve while maintaining the relative angles between different points on the curve.

2. How does a conformal function relate to Killing vectors?

Killing vectors are used to find symmetries in a mathematical space. In the case of finding φ(x,y) using Killing vectors, the conformal function is the solution to the equation that is invariant under the Killing vectors. This means that the function is unchanged when operated on by the Killing vectors, making it a good candidate for finding φ(x,y).

3. What is the process for finding φ(x,y) using Killing vectors?

The process involves solving a set of equations using the Killing vectors that are given for the particular problem. These equations are used to find a conformal function, which is then used to find the solution φ(x,y). The details of the process may vary depending on the specific problem and the number of Killing vectors given.

4. What is the significance of finding φ(x,y) using Killing vectors?

Finding φ(x,y) using Killing vectors can be useful in many areas of mathematics and physics. It can help in solving differential equations, finding symmetries in a space, and understanding the behavior of physical systems. It is also an important tool in general relativity, as it can help in understanding the geometry of spacetime.

5. Are there any limitations to using Killing vectors to find φ(x,y)?

While Killing vectors are a powerful tool, they may not always be applicable or sufficient for finding φ(x,y). In some cases, the equations may be too complicated or there may not be enough Killing vectors given to solve for the conformal function. Additionally, the process can be time-consuming and may require advanced mathematical techniques.