Conformally flat s-t, includes implicit dependence in EoM?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a time-like killing vector associated with energy and its relation to a conserved quantity denoted by the constant ##E##. The conformal flatness of the metric in Cartesian coordinates is also mentioned, along with the presence of a KVF for each coordinate. The question of whether to treat ##\mu## as a dependence on ##z## is brought up, and there is a debate about the implicit dependence of ##z## via ##\mu## in the Euler-Lagrange equation. The use of ##\mu## for ##u## and the definition of the energy are also discussed.
binbagsss
1. Homework Statement

Question attached

blueblue shift anti de itter.png

2. The attempt at a solution

Time-like killing vector is associated with energy.

## \frac{d}{ds} (\frac{\mu^2\dot{t}}{R^2})=0##

Let me denote this conserved quantity by the constant ##E=\frac{\mu^\dot{t}}{R^2}##
where ##\mu=\mu(z)## . similarly we for sure have a conserved quantity associated with ##x## and ##y## , I am unsure about ##z## however...

a)##ds^2=\frac{\mu^2}{R^2}(-dt^2+dx^2+dy^2+dz^2)##

b) it is conformally flat since it is the flat space-time (in Cartesian coordinates) metric multiplied by a factor which is a function of the coordinates

c ) since it says to 'write down' the geodesic equations it is clear that the metric components have no dependence on ##t,y,x## and so there is a KVF associated with each of these coordinates. I am unsure whether you treat ## \mu(z)## as ##z## dependence or not.

So if when writing the Euler Lagrange equation associated with ##z## i was going to do:
##\frac{dL}{dz}=\frac{dL}{d\mu}\frac{d\mu}{dz}## .If I don't do this then there is a conserved quantity associated with ##z## as there is no explicit z dependence.

However since the question asks you to 'write down' I suspect we ignore the implicit depdence of ##z## via ##\mu## so that there is a conserved quantity associated with ##z## and are only interested in any explicit dependence when differentiating ##L##. Is this correct? I don't really understand why you'd ignore the implicit dependence of ##z##

many thanks

Attachments

• blueblue shift anti de itter.png
    blueblue shift anti de itter.png
    26.4 KB · Views: 892
Physics news on Phys.org
binbagsss said:
1. Homework Statement

Question attached

View attachment 224365

2. The attempt at a solution

Time-like killing vector is associated with energy.

## \frac{d}{ds} (\frac{\mu^2\dot{t}}{R^2})=0##

Let me denote this conserved quantity by the constant ##E=\frac{\mu^\dot{t}}{R^2}##
where ##\mu=\mu(z)## . similarly we for sure have a conserved quantity associated with ##x## and ##y## , I am unsure about ##z## however...

a)##ds^2=\frac{\mu^2}{R^2}(-dt^2+dx^2+dy^2+dz^2)##

b) it is conformally flat since it is the flat space-time (in Cartesian coordinates) metric multiplied by a factor which is a function of the coordinates

c ) since it says to 'write down' the geodesic equations it is clear that the metric components have no dependence on ##t,y,x## and so there is a KVF associated with each of these coordinates. I am unsure whether you treat ## \mu(z)## as ##z## dependence or not.

So if when writing the Euler Lagrange equation associated with ##z## i was going to do:
##\frac{dL}{dz}=\frac{dL}{d\mu}\frac{d\mu}{dz}## .If I don't do this then there is a conserved quantity associated with ##z## as there is no explicit z dependence.

However since the question asks you to 'write down' I suspect we ignore the implicit depdence of ##z## via ##\mu## so that there is a conserved quantity associated with ##z## and are only interested in any explicit dependence when differentiating ##L##. Is this correct? I don't really understand why you'd ignore the implicit dependence of ##z##

many thanks
Can you explain what your ##\mu$$ stands for?

nrqed said:
Can you explain what your ##\mu$$ stands for?
Given in the question posted in the op? Coordinate transformation on z ?

binbagsss said:
Given in the question posted in the op? Coordinate transformation on z ?
Ah! You used ##\mu## for ##u## then? Ok, then what is your ##i## in your definition of the energy? And the dot over the time refers to a derivative with respect to ##s##? What what do you mean by ##s## in your ##d/ds##? Do you mean the proper time?

1. What is the concept of "conformally flat" in relation to s-t space-time?

"Conformally flat" refers to a specific type of space-time geometry in which the metric tensor can be written as a scalar multiple of the Minkowski metric. This means that the angles between geodesics (the shortest paths between two points) are preserved, but the distances between points can vary.

2. How does implicit dependence affect the equations of motion in a conformally flat s-t space-time?

Implicit dependence refers to a situation where a variable is not explicitly mentioned in the equations of motion, but is still present in the underlying physics. In a conformally flat s-t space-time, this can lead to additional terms in the equations of motion, which can affect the behavior of particles moving through the space-time.

3. Can conformally flat s-t space-time be applied to real-world scenarios?

Yes, conformally flat s-t space-time has been used in various fields of physics, including general relativity and cosmology. It can provide a useful mathematical framework for studying the behavior of particles and objects in curved space-time.

4. Are there any limitations to using conformally flat s-t space-time?

One limitation is that it may not accurately describe highly curved space-time geometries, such as those near black holes or during the early stages of the universe. It also does not take into account the effects of matter and energy on the curvature of space-time.

5. What are the potential applications of studying conformally flat s-t space-time?

Studying conformally flat s-t space-time can help us better understand the behavior of particles and objects in curved space-time, and can also provide insights into the nature of gravity and the interactions between matter and energy. It has applications in cosmology, astrophysics, and other fields of physics.