Chimps now hunting with spears

• Thread starter 0TheSwerve0
  • Start date
In summary, chimpanzees are using sticks to dislodge grubs and poke in termite hills. This is similar to how humans use sticks to dislodge grubs and poke in termite hills. It is not a far step from coaxing grubs and ants onto a piece of straw and then eating them.
0TheSwerve0
Story on yahoo http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070222/sc_nm/chimps_hunting_dc

Note: it's only the females doing this. Any implications for our human hunter-gatherer model?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Holy Crap

This Is Awesome

Now - could humans teach chimps to use their weapons? Think of it - chimpanzee or dolphin guerilla fighters. ;-)

0TheSwerve0 said:

Note: it's only the females doing this. Any implications for our human hunter-gatherer model?

If you think about it's not that much different from using twigs to dislodge grubs, it's a bigger stick and a bigger animal.

When they start using bows and arrows give me a shout :smile:

None the less a testament to primate ingenuity.

uplift wars by brin comming true

I don't know... I wouldn't be surprised if it was true, the more we study chimps, the more we seem to find surprising intelligence in them.

But I wouldn't take it from Yahoo news (or any news paper for that matter) until i read some official research... the media tends to, not lie... exaggerate science stories.EDIT: p.s: this is unrelated, but there was an article in a recent Discover mag. that talked a little about how the media exaggerates science stories. it was the case of scientists who found some way to bend light around an object (I don't remember very well the details).
the media jumped on it right away, labeling it an "invisibility cloak," speculating armies being able to make entire buildings invisible using this technology... the actual device is huge, and is able to bend light only around a tiny piece of matter, making it "invisible." (I'm sure someone on this forum knows what I'm talking about better than I do :) ) ... it was a pretty funny article. in the interview they talked about how TV stations made them wear white cloaks and protective glasses to make them look more sciencey.

Last edited:
Yeah, they weren't throwing them, they were stabbing with them, not quite a spear - more like a pointed stick.

As 'Ding's Dog points out, chimps use sticks to dislodge grubs and poke in termite hills.

0TheSwerve0 said:

Its not a far step from coaxing grubs and ants onto a piece of straw and then eating them (which has been documented from observations of chimp behavior). Straw/spear/eat. Pretty obvious progression.

baywax said:
Its not a far step from coaxing grubs and ants onto a piece of straw and then eating them (which has been documented from observations of chimp behavior). Straw/spear/eat. Pretty obvious progression.

By the same token, it's hardly a vast leap from big pokey stick, to throwing big pokey stick. (The space shuttle follows shortly after this!:bugeye: )

mosassam said:
By the same token, it's hardly a vast leap from big pokey stick, to throwing big pokey stick. (The space shuttle follows shortly after this!:bugeye: )

So that's how they do it! They tie the space shuttle to a stick and throw it out of the atmosphere! Cool:smile:

As OThe SwerveO points out, it's interesting that only female chimpanzees use the big pokey stick for practical purposes. I believe this situation will truly reflect early human societies when the males use the big pokey stick on each other.

0TheSwerve0 said:

Are you sure Britney is with them?
:smile:

The OP link didn't work for me... youtube:

yep yahoo link is dead. in my locked thread there's another link with full video.

What does this mean then? This means nothing. We have evovled from this exact same place as they are doing now and we would never let them have a chance to send us back there.

What is the significance of chimps now hunting with spears?

The discovery of chimps using spears for hunting suggests that they possess advanced cognitive abilities and can learn complex behaviors from each other. This challenges previous beliefs about the capabilities of non-human primates.

How did researchers observe this behavior in chimps?

Researchers observed the chimps using spears by setting up camera traps in the forests of Senegal and Guinea. They also collected spear evidence and observed the chimps using spears in person.

Do all chimps use spears for hunting?

No, not all chimps use spears for hunting. This behavior has only been observed in a small group of chimps in West Africa, and it is not yet known if other chimp populations have also developed this behavior.

What animals do chimps hunt with spears?

Chimps have been observed using spears to hunt smaller primates, such as bushbabies and galagos. They have also been observed using spears to hunt other small mammals, such as squirrels and bats.

Is this behavior unique to chimps?

No, other primate species have also been observed using tools for hunting, such as capuchin monkeys using rocks to crack open nuts. However, chimps are the only non-human primate species known to use spears for hunting.