Angular Momentum and torque problem

In summary, the problem involves two identical spheres, each with mass M, attached to opposite ends of a rod with negligible mass and length 2l. The system is initially at rest and free to rotate about a frictionless horizontal axis through the center of the rod. A bug with mass 3M lands on one of the spheres. The torque about the axis immediately after the bug lands is 3Mgl. To determine the angular acceleration of the system, Newton's 2nd law for rotation is applied and the rotational inertia is found to be m*L^2/12. The system conserves total mechanical energy as it rotates, with no work being done by external forces. The moment of inertia of the system is necessary to find
waterfaire
The Problem:
Two identical spheres, each of mass M and negligible radius, are fastened to opposite ends of a rod of negligible mass and lenth 2l. This system is initially at rest with the rod horizontal, and is free to rotate about a frictionless horizontal axis through the center of the rod and perpendicular to the plan of the page. A bug, of mass 3M, lands gently on the sphere on the left, Assume that the size of the bug is small compared to the length of the rod. Express your answesr to all parts of the question in terms of M, L, and physical constants.

A) Determine the Torque about the axis immediately after the bug lands on the sphere

B) Determine the angular acceleration of the rod-sphere-bug system immediately after the bug lands

I got the Torque to be 3Mgl ... which is the right answer, but I don't know where to start for Part B

There is another part to this question...
The rod-sphere-bug system swings about the axis. at the instant that the rod is vertical, determine:
C) the angular speed of the bug
D) the angular momentum of the system
E) the magnitude and direction of the force that must be exerted on the bug by the sphere to keep the bug from being thrown off the sphere.

I have n o clue where to start...

Please help

Physics news on Phys.org
waterfaire said:
I got the Torque to be 3Mgl ... which is the right answer, but I don't know where to start for Part B
Apply Newton's 2nd law for rotation. (What's the rotational inertia of the bug+spheres system?)

For the other parts: As the system rotates, is anything conserved?

As the system rotates...Kinetic energy is conserved?

Def. of Torque is...r F

or

I * alpha

waterfaire said:
As the system rotates...Kinetic energy is conserved?
If KE by itself was conserved, the system couldn't start moving, since it starts from rest. But total mechanical energy (KE + PE) will be conserved, since the axis is frictionless.

Ohh...So work is conserved then.

waterfaire said:
Ohh...So work is conserved then.
Don't know what you mean by that.

Well. Doesn't W = change in KE + change in PE?

Doc Al said:
Apply Newton's 2nd law for rotation. (What's the rotational inertia of the bug+spheres system?)

How do you find the I if the radius of the sphere is negligible?

for Part B.
I have T= I * alpha, and I substituted the answer i got for Part A (3Mgl) for T.

3Mgl = I alpha

waterfaire said:
Well. Doesn't W = change in KE + change in PE?
Sure. And if you track the effect of gravity via gravitational PE, there are no forces doing any work on the system so mechanical energy is conserved.

waterfaire said:
How do you find the I if the radius of the sphere is negligible?
I have no idea why they bothered to specify them as spheres if their radii were negligible. Treat them as point masses. (What's the rotational inertia of a point mass about some axis?)

for Part B.
I have T= I * alpha, and I substituted the answer i got for Part A (3Mgl) for T.

3Mgl = I alpha
Good. Now find I and you're on your way.

Doc Al said:
Sure. And if you track the effect of gravity via gravitational PE, there are no forces doing any work on the system so mechanical energy is conserved.

I have no idea why they bothered to specify them as spheres if their radii were negligible. Treat them as point masses. (What's the rotational inertia of a point mass about some axis?)

Good. Now find I and you're on your way.

The moment of inertia for a thin, uniform rod of length L and mass m with its axis at its center is m*L^2/12. Does m = 2M, the mass of just the spheres, or m = 5M, the mass of the whole rod-spheres-bug system?

THSMathWhiz said:
The moment of inertia for a thin, uniform rod of length L and mass m with its axis at its center is m*L^2/12.
That's true, but in this problem the rod has negligible mass so we ignore its moment of inertia.
Does m = 2M, the mass of just the spheres, or m = 5M, the mass of the whole rod-spheres-bug system?
I'm not sure what you're asking. For this problem, you need the moment of inertia of the system, which includes the two spheres (each with mass M) and the bug (mass 3M).

Doc Al said:
That's true, but in this problem the rod has negligible mass so we ignore its moment of inertia.

But the only way to find the angular acceleration is to use the moment of inertia of the rod-spheres-bug system, which requires me to... Wait a minute...

The two spheres make the density of the system non-uniform...

Which means I need to calculate the second moment of inertia manually, right?

I'm not sure what you're asking. For this problem, you need the moment of inertia of the system, which includes the two spheres (each with mass M) and the bug (mass 3M).

You answered this one pretty well, thanks.

1. What is Angular Momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of an object's rotational motion. It is defined as the product of an object's moment of inertia and its angular velocity.

2. How is Angular Momentum conserved?

Angular momentum is conserved in a closed system, meaning that the total angular momentum before an event or action is equal to the total angular momentum after the event or action. This is due to Newton's First Law of Motion.

3. What is the relationship between Angular Momentum and Torque?

Torque is the force that causes an object to rotate, and it is directly proportional to an object's angular acceleration. Therefore, the greater the torque, the greater the change in angular momentum.

4. How do you calculate Angular Momentum?

Angular momentum can be calculated by multiplying an object's moment of inertia by its angular velocity. It can also be calculated by multiplying the object's mass, velocity, and radius of rotation.

5. What is the difference between Angular Momentum and Linear Momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of an object's rotational motion, while linear momentum is a measure of an object's linear motion. Angular momentum depends on an object's moment of inertia, while linear momentum depends on an object's mass and velocity.