The points at which a f is continuous is a G-delta

In summary: So O does not contain any discontinuity point, and therefore O is exactly the set of continuity points.
SiddharthM
Now that I have finished with the 7 chapters of rudin i plan to study Part 1 of royden's real analysis. Here is a problem regarding borel sets

Let f be a real valued function defined for all reals. Prove that the set of points at which f is continuous can be written as a countable intersection of open sets.

set y=f(x)

Consider the family of open sets, N_{1/n} (y) for every real y, call it V_n (y). Taking preimages of these sets will yield some open sets and some not. Let O_n be the union of the collection of preimages that are open, then O_n is open. Put
O=intersection of O_n.

If f is continuous at x the preimage of every V_n(f(x)) is open so it is contained in O_n which means that x is in O. Now if x is in O then x is in O_n for every n. Let e>0, pick a N so that 1/N<e/2. Then x is inside the preimage of some V_N (z). Since this the preimage of this V_N (z) is open, call it N(z), there exists a delta>0 so that if d(x,y)<delta then y is in N(z). Also
|f(x)-f(y)| <\= |f(x)-f(z)|+|f(y)-f(z)|<e

we have shown O is the set of points where f is continuous.

Can someone tell me if I'm missing something, i just feel like i am.

cheers!

Physics news on Phys.org
SiddharthM said:
Consider the family of open sets, N_{1/n} (y) for every real y, call it V_n (y).
If f is continuous at x the preimage of every V_n(f(x)) is open so it is contained in O_n which means that x is in O.

I had to stop reading at this point because f continuous at x does not imply [tex]f^{-1}(N_e(f(x)))[/tex] is open. For instance, take f(x) = 0 for |x| <= 1, and f(x) = 2 for x > 1. You get [tex]f^{-1}((-1,1)) = [-1,1][/tex]. You are ensured the preimages are open only when f is continuous everywhere.

Sorry the assertion was completely false but it can be reformulated so it becomes a local property. If f is continuous at x for every epsilon neighborhood around f(x) (called V_n (x)) there exists a delta neighborhood (called D_n (x)) so that f(D_n(x)) is contained in V_n(x).

Consider the family of V_n(x) for all x in R, when such a D_n (x) exists put it in O_n. So O_n is the union of a family of open sets and is therefore open.
Let O_n be the union of D_n's when they exist as such.

Again O=intersection of O_n

If f is continuous at x then there will always be a neighborhood D_n (x) so that f(D_n(x)) is contained in V_n (x) so that x is in O. Now let e>0 and x in O, there exists a N so that 1/N<e/2. Then x is in some D_n(z) which is a neighborhood of z and is open, so there exists a neighborhood of x contained inside D_n(z). Now for every y in D_n(z) we know that
|f(z)-f(y)|<e/2 so that
|f(x)-f(y)|<|f(x)-f(z)|+|f(z)+f(y)|<e
as long as y is in the neighborhood of x which is contained inside D_n(z).

When f is continuous at x, you associate an open [tex]D_n(x) \subset B(x,1/n)[/tex] so that [tex]f(D_n(x)) \subset B(f(x),1/n)[/tex]. Then [tex]O_n[/tex] is the union of all [tex]D_n(x)[/tex], such that f is continuous at x. Clearly, [tex]O = \cap O_n[/tex] contains all the continuity points (because each continuity point by definition is in a [tex]D_n \subset O_n[/tex]), and also O is a countable intersection of open sets.

You still need to show O does not contain a discontinuity point. If a discontinuity point p is in O. Then p is in some [tex]D_n(p_n) \subset B(p_n,1/n)[/tex] for all n (where [tex]f(D_n(p_n)) \subset B(f(p_n),1/n)[/tex]). Then fix e > 0 such that for every d > 0, there is a q such that d(p,q) < d and d(f(p),f(q)) > e. Then for 1/N < e/2, you have p in D_N(p_N), and thus some q in D_N(p_N) such that d(f(p),f(q)) > e, but also [tex]d(f(p),f(q)) \leq d(p,p_N) + d(p_N,q) < e/2 + e/2[/tex], a contradiction.

1. What does it mean for a function to be continuous?

A function is continuous if it has no sudden jumps or breaks in its graph. This means that the function is smooth and can be drawn without lifting the pencil from the paper.

2. What is a G-delta set?

A G-delta set is a type of set in mathematics that is generated by intersecting countably many open sets. In other words, it is a set that can be formed by taking the intersection of countably many open sets.

3. How are continuity and G-delta sets related?

The points at which a function is continuous form a G-delta set. This means that the set of all points where a function is continuous can be formed by taking the intersection of countably many open sets.

4. Are all continuous functions G-delta sets?

No, not all continuous functions are G-delta sets. A function can be continuous without being a G-delta set if it has a countable number of discontinuities. However, all continuous functions can be expressed as a G-delta set.

5. Why is it important to study the points at which a function is continuous?

Understanding the points at which a function is continuous is important in many areas of mathematics, including analysis, topology, and calculus. It allows us to determine the behavior of a function and make predictions about its values. Additionally, it is a fundamental concept in understanding the continuity of functions and their properties.