Finding a Good Book on String Theory: A Comprehensive Guide

In summary: This is definitely more up my alley, I'm not that familiar with General Relativity, QFT, and group theory but I think with the right training I could do just fine.This is definitely more up my alley, I'm not that familiar with General Relativity, QFT, and group theory but I think with the right training I could do just fine.
ziad1985
To make it short, any recommandation for a good book on string theory?
Something with a good introduction and cover a good part of what one should know at the beginning ?

Physics news on Phys.org
For physics students?

A First Course in String Theory by Barton Zwiebach,

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521880327/?tag=pfamazon01-20,

is an excellent introduction to string theory for physics students. From its preface: "A First Course in String Theory should be accessible to anyone who has been exposed to special relativity, basic quantum mechanics, electromagnetism, and introductory statistical physics. Some familiarity with Lagrangian mechanics is useful but nit indispensable ."

Take a look at the table of contents (using LOOK INSIDE!) and read some of the reviews.

Last edited:
I'll second Zwiebach.

ah yes, for physics students.
It looks good from what I've seen, I have a good and deep knowledge on all these requirements so i suppose i won't have a problem going through his.
Thank you

ziad1985 said:
ah yes, for physics students.
It looks good from what I've seen, I have a good and deep knowledge on all these requirements so i suppose i won't have a problem going through his.
Thank you

Zwiebach is fun to read.

Another, much more advanced introduction, is String Theory and M-Theory: A Modern Introduction by Katrin Becker, Melanie Becker, and John H. Schwarz,

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521860695/?tag=pfamazon01-20.

From its preface: "The reader is assumed to have some familiarity with quantum field theory and general relativity. It is also very useful to a have broad mathematical background. Group theory is essential, and some knowledge of differential geometry and basic concepts of topology is very desirable."

Ah that's more like it, even though I'm not quiet that familiar with General Relativity, QFT and group theory are both stuff very easy for me to deal with.
I have to start a training course (I suppose this is the english equivalent of the french word "stage"), and it's going to be mainly in theoretical physics(mostly in the particle field), as the stepping ground to my thesis and stuff works differently here in france then in the US i suppose, buttom line i have to get myself familiar with some basic theoretical stuff in this period and String theory have to be one of them.

1. What is string theory?

String theory is a theoretical framework in physics that aims to unify the four fundamental forces of nature (gravity, electromagnetism, strong nuclear force, and weak nuclear force) by describing them in terms of tiny, one-dimensional strings instead of point-like particles.

2. Why is it important to find a good book on string theory?

String theory is a complex and highly mathematical subject, and finding a good book on the topic is crucial for understanding its concepts and applications. A good book can provide a comprehensive and organized guide to help readers grasp the fundamentals of string theory and its implications.

3. What should I look for in a book on string theory?

When searching for a book on string theory, it is important to look for one that is written by a reputable author with a strong background in the subject. The book should also have clear and concise explanations, well-organized content, and relevant examples and illustrations to aid understanding.

4. Are there any recommended books on string theory?

There are many excellent books on string theory, and the recommended ones may vary depending on the reader's level of understanding and specific interests. Some popular choices include "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene, "String Theory for Dummies" by Andrew Zimmerman Jones, and "A First Course in String Theory" by Barton Zwiebach.

5. Can I learn string theory from just one book?

While a good book on string theory is essential for understanding the fundamentals, it is also beneficial to read multiple books on the topic to gain a well-rounded understanding. Additionally, attending lectures, seminars, and workshops on string theory can also deepen one's knowledge and understanding of the subject.