PF PHOTO CONTEST - Self-portrait (dec 6th-13th)

In summary, the conversation is about a self-portrait photo contest with specific rules and guidelines. Participants are allowed to use a timer or remote shutter release to take the photo, but asking someone else to take the photo is not allowed. The photo must be taken by the participant and not edited or modified in any way, except for resizing and adjusting brightness and contrast. Only one photo per member is allowed and the photo cannot be reused in another contest. The photos must also be appropriate and relevant to the theme.
matthyaouw
Gold Member
Self-portrait

Show us who you are! Any photo featuring some part of you* is ok. Remember that a photo has to be taken by you. You don't have to be holding the camera- timer mode and remote shutter release are ok, but asking someone else to take your photo is a no-go.

*keep it clean!

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 650 x 490 or 490 x 650 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. You are also allowed to adjust the brightness and contrast of your picture but these should not dramatically alter the look of the picture. But other than those, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack or photobucket. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. These pictures must be something that you took, not something taken off someone else's photo albums or taken by someone else. I have no way of checking if you did this, so we'll go by the honor system.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread.

Physics news on Phys.org
snowme.jpg

At the park with bread for the critters, and snow for Borek.

cleanroom-1.jpg

hypatia said:
snow for Borek.

Wow, thank you :smile:

If Turbo will try the same, we may have problem seeing him :wink: His cabin is barely visible on the winter pictures.

Ahhhhhh summer
Picture967-1.jpg

http://twilightus.net/adam/self.jpg

Not an exciting picture but it's the only one of myself that I actually took.

Ack! I like photography 'cause I'm the person BEHIND the camera...Hmm, I'll see.

Well, I haven't posted in the member photo thread in a while. And since my last post, some sort of fuzzy mammal seems to have taken permanent residence on my face:

http://noamgr.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/me-beard.jpg

If you'd like lessons in the art of pretending like you don't know a picture of you is being taken while taking a picture of yourself, feel free to contact me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Math Jeans said:
cleanroom-1.jpg

Guess Jeans was really covering the whole "Keep it clean" rule!

binzing said:
Guess Jeans was really covering the whole "Keep it clean" rule!

If you can do it, over-do it.

moe darklight said:
Well, I haven't posted in the member photo thread in a while. And since my last post, some sort of fuzzy mammal seems to have taken permanent residence on my face:

http://noamgr.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/me-beard.jpg

If you'd like lessons in the art of pretending like you don't know a picture of you is being taken while taking a picture of yourself, feel free to contact me.

Damn moe, you look like you need a pack of camels unfiltered, some wiskey, and some womanizing. Me likes.

very nice subject for the contest!:approve:
Reminds me of member photo thread!

Likes ohyeah
Cyrus said:
Damn moe, you look like you need a pack of camels unfiltered, some wiskey, and some womanizing. Me likes.

:rofl: I think it's illegal now a days to make any of those things sound cool. Even though they are. They all truly are, kids.

http://www.thegadgetblog.com/wp-content/Just_Like_Dad_Bubble_Gum_Cigarettes.jpg

Bad timing to get the look though, seeing as I've quit smoking and considerably cut down all drinking... and being a womanizer always seemed like too much work.

Hi! I attempted to take this picture about 5 times before I got it right, as I had to run over the bridge and climb down in the limited timer settings that my phone had :tongue:... I haven't re-sized it, as I am quite far away, and I don't want the quality to be compromised.

Attachments

• DSC00917.jpg
    DSC00917.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 449
moe darklight said:
... and being a womanizer always seemed like too much work.

I thought you were a lizardizer according to your dream!:biggrin:

Lisa! said:

Lizardiser lizardiser you're a lizardiser baby
You, you you are, you, you you are
Lizardiser lizardiser lizardiser (lizadiser)...

Daft bint, got that song stuck right in my head now!

Georgepowell said:
Hi! I attempted to take this picture about 5 times before I got it right, as I had to run over the bridge and climb down in the limited timer settings that my phone had :tongue:... I haven't re-sized it, as I am quite far away, and I don't want the quality to be compromised.

Can you upload your photo to an external server such as www.photobucket.com[/url] or [url]www.imageshack.us[/URL] and then post it to the thread?

Besides, sounds like it may HAVE to be resized to be OK with contest rules.

matthyaouw said:
Can you upload your photo to an external server such as www.photobucket.com[/url] or [url]www.imageshack.us[/URL] and then post it to the thread?[/QUOTE]
These three are not for the competition, but you might want to look at them.
=======================================
[url]http://i349.photobucket.com/albums/q390/Georgepowell77/DSC00915.jpg[/url]
[url]http://i349.photobucket.com/albums/q390/Georgepowell77/DSC00916.jpg[/url]
[url]http://i349.photobucket.com/albums/q390/Georgepowell77/DSC00918.jpg[/url]
=======================================

This is the right one:
[url]http://i349.photobucket.com/albums/q390/Georgepowell77/DSC00917.jpg[/url]

NOTE: if you want me to re-size the image I can easily do it, just I don't see why it is necessary. Also if you want I can remove the 3 links to the other pic's... If your feeling strict that is.

There are contest rules and everyone else obeys them, no reason why you shouldn't.

Lisa! said:

that lizard broke my heart... and I will never love again. [drinks up whole glass of whiskey in one swift swill, and blows out a puff of smoke] damn their cold blood!

Georgepowell said:
NOTE: if you want me to re-size the image I can easily do it, just I don't see why it is necessary.

When we go to vote on the pictures, it's nice to be able to:
1. just have to scroll up and down, in order to view all photo entries quickly,
and
2. have every photo fit on our computer screen.

If we had to do multiple clicks on all 10 or 15 images (a typical number) in order to view them all, it would get really really annoying to try and pick a winner. The idea is to make it fun, for the contest voters as well as the contest entrants.

Just FYI, cropping would be another option to make your photo size "legal".

yes, please resize and put your image here in [ img][/ img] tags.

Hi, sorry about the rule breaking. I hope I am forgiven :p

I have resized the image/cropped it etc:

DSC00917SMALL.jpg

Last edited:
Georgepowell said:
Hi, sorry about the rule breaking. I hope I am forgiven :p

I have resized the image/cropped it etc:

This appears to still not be of the correct size.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
This appears to still not be of the correct size.

Zz.

Fixed, sorry.

Georgepowell said:
DSC00917SMALL.jpg

Cool photo! I can appreciate the multiple attempts at getting it shot at the right moment.

I understand you don't have picture of the splash?

Borek said:
I understand you don't have picture of the splash?

Haha, I did jump in later, and I stupidly didn't check the depth, I got a big gash on my foot because I landed on a sheet of metal :cry:

Georgepowell said:
... I got a big gash on my foot ...

Didja get a picture? :biggrin:

Redbelly98 said:
Didja get a picture? :biggrin:

I'm afraid not, haha. If i did, I am sure it would win the PF photo contest :tongue:

176.jpg

Not very original in its idea, but it's the only one I got of myself while recently on vacation.

Last edited:
Bare feet and palm trees, life don't get much better then that Georgina.

Yes, and now I'm back up to my backside in snow. I could take a picture now for contrast.

marzena_autoportret.jpg

Me and my camera.