Flying to NASA Langley and seeing fighter jets at the airshow

  • Thread starter Thread starter Cyrus
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11 replies · 3K views
Cyrus
Messages
3,246
Reaction score
17
What an Amazing weekend!

So on friday, I flew out to NASA Langley to do some work, and it so happened there was an AIR SHOW that day! So as I was walking inside the building I got to see an F-22 doing an airshow literally RIGHT OVER the building I was in!

WE flew there in this:

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs029.snc1/3185_750206024008_5736845_43447831_4830179_n.jpg

Right over the chesapeake

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs029.snc1/3185_750206562928_5736845_43447844_5804386_n.jpg

and saw some big boats!

http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs029.snc1/3185_750206692668_5736845_43447846_2974992_n.jpg

We also got warned by ATC that a pair of F-16's was off to our right. And they promply zooomed by us and were gone!

We then landed at Newport airport, VA next to some lovely private jets

http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs029.snc1/3185_750206957138_5736845_43447870_4639184_n.jpg

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs029.snc1/3185_750207041968_5736845_43447871_325117_n.jpg

http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs029.snc1/3185_750207151748_5736845_43447873_557299_n.jpg

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs029.snc1/3185_750207241568_5736845_43447875_6153201_n.jpg

I then got to see a very cool simulator that I'll be doing some work on.

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs029.snc1/3185_750208419208_5736845_43447928_600609_n.jpg

As we were leaving the airport, this was parked off to the side!

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs029.snc1/3185_750207575898_5736845_43447901_7062971_n.jpg

bye bye Newport!

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs029.snc1/3185_750207725598_5736845_43447904_5696143_n.jpg

us flying home (I'm taking the picture, not in the front seats).

http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs029.snc1/3185_750207775498_5736845_43447905_2747130_n.jpg

http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs029.snc1/3185_750208309428_5736845_43447926_523121_n.jpg

That was just friday!

Video is on my facebook, so you can't view it here (sorry).
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org


Part II, saturday!

So then we decided to drive all the way down to Price Farm, Maryland to watch Steve Eves launch his 1/10 scale SATURN V rocket! It was AMAZINGGG!

Its 40 feet tall, weighs 1600 lbs, has 8,000 lbs of thrust, and goes 400MPH! This was the first flight ever, and broke a world record for its size! When we pulled into park, we were warned that by entering we accept any damages or possible injury that could happen due to the launch! Boy was that ever true! It launched and went RIGHT OVER our heads. Then the chutes opened (thank god) or I would have a BIG lawn dart right into my car. (It was dead over us)

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs029.snc1/3185_750426936298_5736845_43456752_5642508_n.jpg

http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs029.snc1/3185_750427095978_5736845_43456753_1216405_n.jpg

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs029.snc1/3185_750434570998_5736845_43457268_1221234_n.jpg

3..2...1...GOOO!
http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs029.snc1/3185_750434750638_5736845_43457275_3676327_n.jpg

http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs029.snc1/3185_750435055028_5736845_43457282_1781221_n.jpg

MUST SEE VIDEO

bj4lj6YSwzg[/youtube] This video...t's literally right over my head" YES IT WAS!
 
Last edited by a moderator:


That rocket took off like a patriot missile, amazing.
 


Part III (Saturday still)

So we constantly have aircraft and helicopters (this one) fly over campus every single day at low altitude due to andrews airforce base! Well, it was Maryland Day and they land on campus and let people see their helicopter! It was nice to see this after painting our own last weekend!

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs029.snc1/3185_750435878378_5736845_43457331_34220_n.jpg

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs029.snc1/3185_750436122888_5736845_43457332_5406066_n.jpg

http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs029.snc1/3185_750436237658_5736845_43457338_8138020_n.jpg

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs029.snc1/3185_750436447238_5736845_43457339_930984_n.jpg

http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs029.snc1/3185_750436656818_5736845_43457342_5073600_n.jpg

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs029.snc1/3185_750436741648_5736845_43457343_3355354_n.jpg

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs029.snc1/3185_750436936258_5736845_43457349_2312548_n.jpg

Video of them leaving!
NVWpORmW7dc[/youtube] Notice t...14408_5736845_43421067_2953278_n.jpg[/PLAIN]
 
Last edited by a moderator:


Cyrus said:
We also got warned by ATC that a pair of F-16's was off to our right.

Oh, so it was you who got too close to the White House! (I think that was Friday, wasn't it?) :biggrin:
 


Why didn't that rocket rendezvous with a 1/10th scale space station?
 


I'd love to spend a weekend like that! Everything looked really great, ummm now I'm jealous.
 


This appears to be the "Who wishes they were Cyrus?" thread.

On Saturday, my kids and I made "egg-drop" contraptions that were tossed out the top window of our local library.

I think that was just about as exciting as Cyrus' day, don't you? (Oh, 3 out of 4 eggs didn't break! Woooo hoooo!) Video will be posted soon!
 


I'm having a REALLY exciting weekend.Yesterday I had Kippers for breakfast and today I am going to do something or other.
 


Chi Meson said:
This appears to be the "Who wishes they were Cyrus?" thread.

On Saturday, my kids and I made "egg-drop" contraptions that were tossed out the top window of our local library.

I think that was just about as exciting as Cyrus' day, don't you? (Oh, 3 out of 4 eggs didn't break! Woooo hoooo!) Video will be posted soon!

I think it would have been more fun if the eggs did break. :biggrin: Admit it, the kids would have loved a few good SPLATS!