Solution for this question in solid state

In summary, the conversation discusses a crystal with a basis of one atom per lattice point and primitive translation vectors of a = 3i, b = 3j, and c = 1.5(i + j + k). The questions asked are about the Bravais lattice type, the Miller indices of the most densely populated planes, and the volumes of the primitive and conventional unit cells. The Bravais lattice type is determined to be bcc and the Miller indices are calculated to be hkl = 112. The volume is found using the formula \tau=|\mathbf{c}\cdot\left(\mathbf{a}\times\mathbf{b}\right)|.
lovephy85
please solution for this question in solid state

A crystal has a basis of one atom per lattice point and a set of primitive translation vectors
a = 3 i , b = 3 j , c = 1.5 (i + j + k)
where i, j and k are unit vectors in the x,y and z directions of a Cartesian coordinate system. 1)What is the Bravais lattice type of this crystal
2) what are the Miller indices of the set of planes most densely populated with atoms? 3)Calculate the volumes of the primitive unit cell and the conventional unit cell

Physics news on Phys.org

(1) So you have a vector [tex]a[/tex] 3 units in the [tex]x[/tex] direction, a vector [tex]b[/tex] 3 units in the [tex]y[/tex] direciton, and a vector [tex]c[/tex] 1.5 units in the [tex]x+y+z[/tex] direction. What does this look like? Use graph paper if you have to, but you should be able to visualize this.

(2) To find Miller Indices, do this:
* Determine the intercepts of the face along the crystallographic axes, in terms of unit cell dimensions.
* Take the reciprocals
* Clear fractions
* Reduce to lowest terms

(3) The volume is found using

[tex]\tau=\left|\mathbf{c}\cdot\left(\mathbf{a}\times\mathbf{b}\right)\right|[/tex]

So use your given vectors, plug them in and see what you get.

thx
i solved as
i considered the bravais lattice is bcc
but for miller indices
hkl = 112 respectively
V=|a.b*c|=27/2

are u think that is right?

lovephy85 said:
thx
i solved as
i considered the bravais lattice is bcc
but for miller indices
hkl = 112 respectively
V=|a.b*c|=27/2

are u think that is right?

This looks right too me, but note that the volume is found by multiplying the base area by the component of c along the axis perpendicular to the base. This means you need the dot product of the cross product of the base with the c axis:

[tex]
\tau=\left|\mathbf{c}\cdot\left(\mathbf{a}\times\mathbf{b}\right)\right|
[/tex]

In this case, you do get the same answer, but you should be aware that the correct formula is the one I wrote, not the one you used.

What is a solution in solid state?

A solution in solid state refers to a homogeneous mixture of two or more substances in a solid form. This means that the solute (the substance being dissolved) is uniformly distributed throughout the solvent (the substance in which the solute is dissolved) at a molecular level.

How is a solution in solid state formed?

A solution in solid state is formed through the process of dissolution, where the solute particles are surrounded by solvent particles and become evenly distributed. This can occur through various methods such as mixing, melting, or crystallization.

What factors affect the formation of a solution in solid state?

The formation of a solution in solid state can be affected by factors such as temperature, pressure, and the nature of the solute and solvent. Higher temperatures and pressures can increase the rate of dissolution, while the solubility of a substance in a particular solvent also plays a role.

What are some examples of solutions in solid state?

Common examples of solutions in solid state include alloys (such as brass or bronze), minerals (such as granite or sandstone), and solid solutions used in manufacturing processes (such as steel or glass). These substances are composed of different components that are uniformly mixed in a solid state.

How is the concentration of a solution in solid state measured?

The concentration of a solution in solid state can be measured in terms of the amount of solute per unit amount of solvent (mass percent), the amount of solute per unit volume of solution (molarity), or the amount of solute per unit mass of solvent (molality). Other measures, such as parts per million (ppm) or parts per billion (ppb), can also be used depending on the specific application.