What Pump Size Do I Need for 5 Nozzles at 3000 Psi and 0.84 GPM Each?

In summary, the question is about the relationship between flow and pressure in a pump and nozzles, and what size pump is needed for 5 nozzles rated at 3000 Psi @ 0.84 GPM. The answer is a pump rated for 3000 Psi @ 4.2 GPM. However, it is important to consider the pressure drop across the nozzles and account for system losses in the pump sizing. The system must already be designed for the appropriate pressure drops. The fittings and block near the pump may also cause some pressure loss, but it should be negligible. Ultimately, it may not be possible to achieve 3000 psi at each nozzle simultaneously with a 3000 psi pump.
jweb05
This may seem like a stupid question, but what is the relationship to flow and pressure in a pump to flow and pressure in nozzles. Specifically i have 5 nozzles that i am pumping into rated at 3000 Psi @ 0.84 GPM, what do i size my pump to? Do i need a pump rated for 3000 Psi @ 4.2 GPM or do i need a pump rated for 15000 Psi @ 4.2 GPM?

I was under the impression that as long as my flow is the same my pressure should be the same, so if i have 4.2 GPM into the 5 nozzles at 3000psi and .84 GPM out of each nozzle totaling 4.2 GPM then my pressure shouldn't change and i should have 3000psi at each nozzle. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
jweb05 said:
This may seem like a stupid question, but what is the relationship to flow and pressure in a pump to flow and pressure in nozzles. Specifically i have 5 nozzles that i am pumping into rated at 3000 Psi @ 0.84 GPM, what do i size my pump to? Do i need a pump rated for 3000 Psi @ 4.2 GPM or do i need a pump rated for 15000 Psi @ 4.2 GPM?

I was under the impression that as long as my flow is the same my pressure should be the same, so if i have 4.2 GPM into the 5 nozzles at 3000psi and .84 GPM out of each nozzle totaling 4.2 GPM then my pressure shouldn't change and i should have 3000psi at each nozzle. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance.

Depends on the nozzle. There will be a pressure drop across the nozzle. The OEM of the nozzle should provide you with the discharge coefficient.

Use Bernoulli's Equation and account for your system losses to determine the head required by your pump (i.e. the head added).

There are various ways to do this depending on what information you know.

Note: Just because your flow rate is constant doesn't mean the pressure is constant. In fact the pressure normally decreases as it flows along the pipe due to frictional losses.

CS

Welcome to PF.
jweb05 said:
You need a pump rated at 3000 Psi @ 4.2 GPM. When the loads are in parallel to each other, the flow rates are additive and the pressures are equal.
I'm not sure the explanation is quite right, but the answer is. Just to be sure, consider if you had one nozzle rated for 3 gpm at 3,000 psi and another rated for 1 gpm at 3,000 psi. What performance would you look for in your pump?

stewartcs said:
Depends on the nozzle. There will be a pressure drop across the nozzle. The OEM of the nozzle should provide you with the discharge coefficient.
Based on the wording of the problem, I assume 3,000 psi is the pressure drop across the nozzle.
Note: Just because your flow rate is constant doesn't mean the pressure is constant. In fact the pressure normally decreases as it flows along the pipe due to frictional losses.
That doesn't have anything to do with the question. The question is just about pump sizing. When sizing a pump, you take the required flow rate and add up all the pressure losses in the system. The system must have already been designed for the appropriate pressure drops.

That said, the OP will want to ensure that if his pump generates 3000 psi and his nozzles need 3000 psi that he doesn't have much in the way of pipe and fitting loss.

russ_watters said:
That doesn't have anything to do with the question. The question is just about pump sizing. When sizing a pump, you take the required flow rate and add up all the pressure losses in the system. The system must have already been designed for the appropriate pressure drops.

Apparently not if he is asking how to size the pump...the system losses should include all losses including the losses due to the nozzles. So if the system was already design for the appropriate pressure drops including the nozzels then he should already know the required pump size.

I would not assume the system was already design for appropriate pressure drops.

russ_watters said:
That said, the OP will want to ensure that if his pump generates 3000 psi and his nozzles need 3000 psi that he doesn't have much in the way of pipe and fitting loss.

Which was my point to begin with.

CS

The pump is pumping into a machined block to distribute the flow to the 5 spray nozzels, and all my calculations for the fittings show the pressure loss for them to be irrelevant. The block is only a few feet from the pump with negligible hieght difference. I am trying to get a 3000psi spray out of each spray nozzel. Since the nozzle is the end of the system spraying to atmosphereic, does that mean its a 3000psi drop across 1 nozzle, so there is no way i can get 3000 psi spray out of all 5 at once with a 3000 psi pump?

russ_watters said:

The pump i am looking at using is actually rated for 3700 psi @ 7gpm.

jweb05 said:
The pump is pumping into a machined block to distribute the flow to the 5 spray nozzels, and all my calculations for the fittings show the pressure loss for them to be irrelevant. The block is only a few feet from the pump with negligible hieght difference. I am trying to get a 3000psi spray out of each spray nozzel. Since the nozzle is the end of the system spraying to atmosphereic, does that mean its a 3000psi drop across 1 nozzle, so there is no way i can get 3000 psi spray out of all 5 at once with a 3000 psi pump?

Since you have determined that there are negligible losses, the nozzles discharge to atmosphere and are in a block, essentially the 3000 psi will be dropped across each nozzle (since each nozzle has 3000 psig at its input and 0 psig at the outlet).

So like you originally thought, you'll need around 3000 psi at 4.2 GPM.

CS

jweb05 said:
Yes. The 3000 psi is the drop across the nozzles. As long as your pump can provide 5X the flow required for each nozzle at that pressure you will be OK. You should be able to get the flow numbers from the nozzle supplier.

Perhaps to make it a bit easier you could run your pump at the higher pressure of 3500 psi or so and put a back pressure regulator at another port on the manifold block. That way you would be ensured to maintain 3000 psi at the manifold block.

1. How do I determine the appropriate pump size for my nozzles?

The appropriate pump size for your nozzles can be determined by considering the flow rate and pressure requirements of your system. You will need to calculate the total flow rate and pressure drop of your nozzles, and then select a pump that can provide the necessary flow and pressure.

2. What factors should I consider when sizing a pump to nozzles?

When sizing a pump to nozzles, you should consider the required flow rate and pressure, the size and type of nozzles, the distance and elevation between the pump and nozzles, and the type of fluid being pumped.

3. How do I calculate the required flow rate for my nozzles?

The required flow rate for your nozzles can be calculated by determining the total area of all the nozzles and multiplying it by the desired velocity of the fluid. You may also need to consider factors such as overlap and spacing of the nozzles.

4. Can I use a pump with a higher flow rate than what is required for my nozzles?

It is not recommended to use a pump with a significantly higher flow rate than what is required for your nozzles. This can lead to excessive pressure and potential damage to the nozzles. It is best to select a pump that can provide the necessary flow rate without exceeding it by a large margin.

5. How do I ensure that my pump is properly sized to my nozzles?

To ensure that your pump is properly sized to your nozzles, you should perform a test run to check the flow rate and pressure. If the results are within the desired range, the pump is properly sized. If not, adjustments may need to be made to the pump or nozzles to achieve the desired flow and pressure.