Two Pumps on one system flow question

In summary, if the pumps are running at the same pressure and delivering the same amount of fluid, then running them in parallel will result in a greater flow than running them at their individual maximums.
J_Rob
I am hoping this is the right place to post this.
I have a hydraulic system that uses two pumps. Each pump is capable of producing 22.5 gpm. With out taking into account the different valves, restrictors, and pipe sizing, my question is, does my gpm double to 45 gpm or stay at 22.5? the pumps are not in line with each other, just provide fluid flow and pressure to the same system.
the way I was taught was I only have the 22.5, recently some guys have been saying we have 45. I can't find any laws or theories to explain this. thank you for all the help

Engineering news on Phys.org
These are positive displacement pumps ?

Nidum said:
These are positive displacement pumps ?
Yes positive displacement. the pumps are self compensating, variable volume. at max demand each pump can produce 22.5 gpm

Last edited:
What is the controlling element (i.e. flow, discharge pressure etc) that provides the demand signal to each pump?

JBA said:
What is the controlling element (i.e. flow, discharge pressure etc) that provides the demand signal to each pump?
As the pressure drops in the system the pump will self-compensate for the increased demand.
I think I have found my answer to the original post. Running the pumps in parallel is going to give me a greater flow than just 22.5 gpm as long as they are operating at the same pressure. which in this systems both pumps operate at 3,000 psi. any additional thought would still be appreciated.
This website really helped.
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/pumps-parallel-serial-d_636.html

Basically, the two pumps will act in concert to deliver up to a combined maximum 45 gpm @ 3000 psi system delivery demand level.

J_Rob said:
This website really helped.
Yes, that's an excellent site...
Another good one is... here .

ps:
I've always considered it somewhat strange, that anybody would want a pump or motor that was... bent !

Just kidding... :oldwink:

Last edited:

1. How do two pumps on one system affect flow rate?

Having two pumps on one system can increase the flow rate by providing additional power and pressure to the system. This can be beneficial for larger or more complex systems that require a higher flow rate to function properly.

2. Can two pumps on one system cause issues?

Yes, two pumps on one system can cause issues if they are not properly synchronized. This can lead to one pump working harder than the other, creating uneven flow and potential damage to the system. It is important to make sure both pumps are properly sized and synchronized for optimal performance.

3. How do you synchronize two pumps on one system?

Synchronizing two pumps on one system involves using a control system or variable frequency drive to adjust the speed and flow rate of each pump. This ensures that both pumps are working together to provide a consistent flow rate and prevent one from overpowering the other.

4. Can two different types of pumps be used on one system?

Yes, it is possible to use two different types of pumps on one system. However, it is important to make sure they are compatible and can work together effectively. It is recommended to consult with a professional to determine the best pump combination for your specific system.

5. What are the benefits of using two pumps on one system?

The main benefit of using two pumps on one system is increased flow rate and reliability. Having a backup pump can ensure that the system continues to function even if one pump fails. Additionally, using two smaller pumps can be more energy-efficient than using one larger pump, resulting in cost savings over time.