Connection between ppm and length?

The issue with the software not measuring the original length can be solved by finding the reference temperature and using it to calculate the thermal expansion coefficient. This can be done by dividing the change in length by the original length and multiplying by 100. This will give you the percent change in length. Overall, the conversion from ppm to percent can be achieved by dividing ppm by 10,000. In summary, the conversation discusses a research project on thermal expansion in perovskites and the issue of converting data from ppm to percent using outdated software. The solution is to find the reference temperature and calculate the thermal expansion coefficient to convert from ppm to percent.
mjdwyer23
Hi everyone-
I'm a junior at U. Penn doing a research project on thermal expansion in complex perovskites. I'm having trouble with a computer program that I'm using to control and obtain data from our dilatometer. The problem is that the software was made in the mid to late 80's, and it only gives data in ppm. What I need to do is convert the expansion to a percent. The program, however, seems to not measure the original length at all. It looks like it tares the sensor at the programmed reference temperature and goes from there, but the alpha (thermal expansion coefficient) needs to be calculated with the original length. Is there any way I can convert from ppm to cm to get a percent change somehow? Thanks

Matt Dwyer

Physics news on Phys.org
ppm = parts per million

ppm means parts per million, so you should be able to convert it to a percent: x (ppm) = [itex]x/10^4[/itex] (percent).

1. What does ppm stand for?

ppm stands for "parts per million". It is a unit of measurement used to express the concentration of a substance in a solution or mixture.

2. How is ppm related to length?

ppm is not directly related to length. It is a unit of measurement for concentration, while length is a unit of measurement for distance. However, ppm can be used to represent the length of a substance in a mixture compared to the total length of the mixture.

3. How do you convert ppm to length?

To convert ppm to length, you need to know the concentration of the substance in the mixture and the total length of the mixture. Then, you can use the formula: length = (ppm x total length) / 1,000,000. This will give you the length of the substance in the mixture in the same units as the total length.

4. What is the significance of using ppm in scientific measurements?

ppm is a commonly used unit of measurement in scientific research and industry. It allows for precise and accurate measurement of small concentrations of substances in mixtures, which may be difficult to measure using other units. ppm is also useful for comparing the relative amounts of different substances in a mixture.

5. Are there any limitations to using ppm as a unit of measurement?

Yes, there are some limitations to using ppm as a unit of measurement. It is only suitable for expressing small concentrations and may not be accurate for larger concentrations. Also, ppm does not take into account the density or weight of the substance, which may affect its length in a mixture. Therefore, it is important to use ppm in conjunction with other units of measurement to get a complete understanding of a substance's properties in a mixture.