Put out the fire with explosive

• Thread starter Chitose
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fire
In summary, the conversation discusses the theory of using explosives to put out fires, specifically oil well fires, by consuming the oxygen and separating the fuel from the heat. The effectiveness of this method is debated and it is uncertain if it is a physical process.
Chitose
Hello, Chitose wonder chick again.

First, This is NOT my homework.
I herd theory that we can quickly put out the fire by setting explosive right next to it. Suck away oxygen or something I'm not sure

I wonder is this theory is true?

If it's true how come?

Is explosion burn out oxygen in the instant? or blast power push oyxgen around it away and create instant vacuum area?

and... is this physic?

PS. English is not my native languge, forgive me if I'm wrong in gramma or spelling.

Physics news on Phys.org
Chitose said:
Hello, Chitose wonder chick again.

First, This is NOT my homework.
I herd theory that we can quickly put out the fire by setting explosive right next to it. Suck away oxygen or something I'm not sure

I wonder is this theory is true?

If it's true how come?

Is explosion burn out oxygen in the instant? or blast power push oyxgen around it away and create instant vacuum area?

and... is this physic?

PS. English is not my native languge, forgive me if I'm wrong in gramma or spelling.

Yes a fire can be put out this way. It is often used to put out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oil_well_fire" . It works by consuming all of the locally available oxygen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Borg said:
Yes a fire can be put out this way. It is often used to put out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oil_well_fire" . It works by consuming all of the locally available oxygen.

It doesn't work like that.

An oil fire is a cloud of oil-vapour that's burning above a liquid oil. The heat from the vapour evaporates more oil. If you put an explosive next to it you blow the vapour and its heat away from the liquid oil. This will separate the fuel from the heat. It's really the same as blowing out a candle.

Last edited by a moderator:
willem2 said:
It doesn't work like that.

An oil fire is a cloud of oil-vapour that's burning above a liquid oil. The heat from the vapour evaporates more oil. If you put an explosive next to it you blow the vapour and its heat away from the liquid oil. This will separate the fuel from the heat. It's really the same as blowing out a candle.

I was quoting what was in the article:

Oil well fires are more difficult to extinguish than regular fires due to the enormous fuel supply for the fire. In fighting a fire at a wellhead, typically high explosives, such as dynamite, are used to consume all the local atmospheric oxygen and snuff the flame out. Doing so removes the oxygen necessary for the fire to burn, but the fire's fuel, whether it be natural gas or oil, is still present which can shower down upon the working crew.

1. What is the concept behind using explosives to put out fires?

The idea behind using explosives to put out fires is to disrupt the oxygen supply to the fire. Explosives create a shockwave that rapidly displaces the surrounding air, depriving the fire of oxygen and extinguishing it.

2. How effective is using explosives to put out fires?

The effectiveness of using explosives to put out fires depends on various factors such as the type and size of the fire, the type of explosives used, and the proximity of the explosion to the fire. In some cases, it can be very effective, while in others it may not be as effective as traditional firefighting methods.

3. Are there any risks involved in using explosives to put out fires?

Yes, there are risks involved in using explosives to put out fires. The shockwave created by the explosion can cause damage to surrounding structures and potentially harm nearby individuals. It is crucial to follow proper safety protocols and have trained professionals handle the explosives.

4. Can any type of fire be put out with explosives?

No, not all fires can be put out with explosives. Explosives are most effective in extinguishing small, contained fires. They may not be suitable for large, spreading fires or fires involving certain materials such as flammable liquids.

5. What are some other applications of using explosives for firefighting?

Aside from using explosives to put out fires, they can also be used for controlled burns, avalanche control, and demolishing structures in the path of a wildfire. Explosives can also be used in certain industrial fire suppression systems to quickly and effectively extinguish fires in hazardous environments.