Do Holograms Reflect on Surfaces Like Clear Floors?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of hologram technology and its ability to reflect on objects such as a clear floor. The person mentions seeing a news report using a hologram but believes it was just a standard chroma key effect. They also mention that real holographic projectors are still in experimental stages and have limitations in terms of size, resolution, and projection capabilities. The conversation also mentions other types of 3D displays currently available.
Chitose
hello, It's chitose wonder chick again.

First, I don't know where should I put this question so I choose this.

yesterday, I talk with my friend about hologram we saw in magazine and something bother me...

Dose hologram have refect on objuct? such as clear floor

I watch the news that claim about their useing hologram technology while interveiw (I believe you guys saw it too) and something not right...

hologram1_wideweb__470x2770.jpg

I don't see any changing of light in area around woman that claim to be holograph, nor any reflect on floor. (floor is clear enough to reflect table... see?)

Since we can see it, dose it mean there are light emiting form it to our eyes right? so it should have reflect if these hologram thing are place on clear floor or anything that reflective.

or it naturally for hologram to have no reflect or change in light of surrounding it?

can anyone advice.

P.S. English is not my native languge, please fogive me If I'm wrong in gramma or spelling.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Chitose said:
Dose hologram have refect on objuct? such as clear floor

Light from a hologram is just like light from any other source. Holograms do indeed appear in reflections.

Chitose said:
I watch the news that claim about their useing hologram technology while interveiw (I believe you guys saw it too) and something not right...

hologram1_wideweb__470x2770.jpg

"Something not right" indeed. What they were doing was not even remotely similar to a hologram. It's just a standard chroma key effect...the person being "projected" stands in front of a colored screen, and the colored background is subtracted out when her image is composited into the main video. The only thing new was that they used a bunch of cameras so they could get it to look right from multiple angles. There was nothing actually being projected anywhere.

Real holographic projectors have been built, but they are experimental pieces of lab equipment rather than useful displays. The displays are quite small, low resolution, monochromatic, and require very large amounts of processing power. Also, real holograms can't be projected out into thin air like that...you can see a 3D image, but only where there's a holographic screen behind it.

http://www.technologyreview.com/computing/18572

There's several other types of 3D displays out there, from screens with lenticular arrays to show a 3D image to someone sitting in the right position, to devices using spinning mirrors and projectors to produce a 3D effect.

Related to Do Holograms Reflect on Surfaces Like Clear Floors?

What is hologram technology?

Hologram technology is a technique that uses light diffraction to create a three-dimensional image, often referred to as a hologram. It works by recording the interference pattern of a laser beam reflected off an object and then projecting the pattern onto a 2D surface to create the illusion of depth and movement.

How does hologram technology work?

Hologram technology works by using lasers to record the interference pattern of an object. This pattern is then projected onto a 2D surface, such as a holographic display, which diffracts the light to create the illusion of a 3D image. The image appears to be floating in space and can be viewed from different angles, giving it a sense of depth and movement.

What are the applications of hologram technology?

Hologram technology has a wide range of applications in various fields such as entertainment, education, healthcare, and security. It is commonly used for displaying 3D images and videos, creating realistic simulations, and enhancing visual effects in movies and video games. It is also used for medical imaging, training simulations, and creating secure holographic IDs and documents.

What are the advantages of hologram technology?

Hologram technology offers several advantages over traditional 2D imaging methods. It allows for the creation of realistic and immersive 3D images, which can enhance the viewing experience in various industries. It also enables the creation of secure and tamper-proof documents, making it a useful tool for authentication and identification purposes. Additionally, it has the potential to revolutionize telepresence and communication by creating lifelike holographic representations of people in different locations.

What are the limitations of hologram technology?

While hologram technology has many potential applications, there are some limitations to consider. One major limitation is the cost of producing high-quality holographic displays and images. Additionally, the viewing angles for holographic images are limited, meaning that the viewer must be in a specific position to see the image correctly. The technology is also still in its early stages and requires further development to become more widely available and practical for everyday use.