Can bomb sitll ignite in vacuum?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of bombs exploding in a vacuum, specifically in space. It is determined that bombs with their own oxidizers can still explode in space, while those that rely on atmospheric oxygen will not ignite. It is also mentioned that not all explosions require oxygen to occur.
Chitose
Hello, Chitose here.

First, I don't know which group should I post this but I put it here just in case.

As topic says, Can bomb still explode in vacuum area such as space? I heard that fire cannot lit without oxygen. but a lot of sci-fi movie show explosion scene in space.

English is not my native language, forgive me If I'm wrong in spelling or gamma.

Physics news on Phys.org
Most bombs are fully packaged explosives, containing both a fuel and an oxidizer, so yes.

See: gunpowder:
a nitrate, typically potassium nitrate (KNO3), which supplies oxygen for the reaction;
charcoal, which provides carbon and other fuel for the reaction, simplified as carbon (C);
sulfur (S), which, while also serving as a fuel, lowers the temperature required to ignite the mixture, thereby increasing the rate of combustion. [emphasis added]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunpowder

Explosives have their own oxidizer (or in the case of high explosives, they _are_ their own oxidizer), so they don't need air to burn.

There's no air (or, not much) in-between the bullet and gunpowder in a rifle cartridge.

For combustion to take place, most things need what is called an Oxidizer. An oxidizer, when used in an explosive, is merely a chemical that contains the element Oxygen in it. When made to combust the oxidizer reacts with the fuel, transferring the oxygen to the fuel in a chemical reaction that releases energy in the form of fire, explosions, ETC.

Look at a campfire. The oxidizer here is simply O2 (Oxygen Molecule) from the air. Like the posts above said, many explosives have their own oxidizer enabling them to explode anywhere.

Chitose said:
Hello, Chitose here.

First, I don't know which group should I post this but I put it here just in case.

As topic says, Can bomb still explode in vacuum area such as space? I heard that fire cannot lit without oxygen. but a lot of sci-fi movie show explosion scene in space.

It depends on the bomb. If the active substance contains sufficient oxygen (such as a gunpowder or an ammonium nitrate/TNT bomb) the answer is: yes. If it the active substance relies on atmospheric oxygen to combust, then it will not ignite in space.

AM

Chitose said:
but a lot of sci-fi movie show explosion scene in space.
This is a generalization. There are many flavours of explosions.

• Spaceships are hollow vessels filled with oxygen and combustible materials.
  • Some explosions are just expanding hot gasses. If the source of the explosion is hot enough, materials will vapourize and glow without any need to react with oxygen.
etc.

Drakkith said:
For combustion to take place, most things need what is called an Oxidizer. An oxidizer, when used in an explosive, is merely a chemical that contains the element Oxygen in it. When made to combust the oxidizer reacts with the fuel, transferring the oxygen to the fuel in a chemical reaction that releases energy in the form of fire, explosions, ETC.

Look at a campfire. The oxidizer here is simply O2 (Oxygen Molecule) from the air. Like the posts above said, many explosives have their own oxidizer enabling them to explode anywhere.

This is not the definition of an oxidizing agent. An oxidizer is one which gains electrons in a standard redox reaction, and does not have to contain oxygen. Halogens can often be used as an oxidizer, what is important is the atoms electron affinity.

1. Can a bomb ignite in a vacuum?

Yes, a bomb can still ignite in a vacuum. The absence of air does not affect the chemical reaction that causes an explosion.

2. How does a bomb ignite in a vacuum?

A bomb contains its own oxidizing agent, which is needed for the chemical reaction that produces an explosion. This means that it does not rely on oxygen from the surrounding air, so it can still ignite in a vacuum.

3. Are there any differences in the explosion of a bomb in a vacuum compared to in air?

Yes, there are some differences. In a vacuum, there is no air resistance or air pressure to contain the explosion, so it may expand at a faster rate and create a more powerful blast wave.

4. Can a bomb explode in outer space?

Yes, a bomb can explode in outer space. The lack of atmospheric pressure and oxygen in space does not prevent a bomb from igniting and exploding.

5. Are there any safety precautions to take when handling a bomb in a vacuum?

Yes, there are additional safety precautions that need to be taken when handling a bomb in a vacuum. The lack of oxygen and air pressure can affect the stability and sensitivity of the bomb, so specialized equipment and procedures may be needed to handle it safely.