What are some surprising factors that have been used as defenses for murder?

In summary, Robert Sapolsky, a professor at Stanford University, gave a lecture series on various topics, including depression and religion. The missing lectures can be found online. The speaker had wanted to study at Stanford for over thirty years and was grateful for the opportunity. The lectures were well done and worth the wait. Sapolsky also discussed how various factors such as menstruation, brain tumors, junk food, and anabolic steroids have been used as defenses for murder, as they can decrease cerebral circulation. The term "increasing cerebral artery tone" refers to the muscles responsible for vasoconstriction.
Biology news on Phys.org
I just audited this lecture series. It was a pleasure and a privilege to be able to do so. The two missing lectures from this series, Depression and Religion, are also on the web you just have to search for them.

I've wanted study at Stanford for over thirty years and now the University along with Prof. Sapolsky has made that possible for me as well as for anyone else willing to invest the time and effort.

It was definitely worth the wait!

I listened to the TTC course by him on this subject. Very well done. I look forward to watching these.

Fascinating indeed.

Nice!

In the introduction Sapolsky mentions that menstruation, brain tumors, junk food and anabolic steroids have each been used as a defense for murder.

They all decrease cerebral circulation as well. 'Increasing cerebral artery tone' refers to* the muscles responsible for vasoconstriction, right?

*http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16794020

What is human behavioral biology?

Human behavioral biology is the study of how biology and genetics influence human behavior. It examines how our genes, hormones, brain structure, and other biological factors contribute to our thoughts, emotions, and actions.

How does our biology impact our behavior?

Our biology can have a significant impact on our behavior. For example, hormones such as testosterone and estrogen can influence aggression and emotional responses. Our brain structure and function can also affect decision-making and risk-taking behavior.

What are some examples of behaviors that may be influenced by biology?

Some examples of behaviors that may be influenced by biology include food preferences, sexual orientation, risk-taking behavior, and mental health disorders such as depression and anxiety. These behaviors can be influenced by a combination of genetic and environmental factors.

How does the study of human behavioral biology contribute to our understanding of human behavior?

The study of human behavioral biology allows us to better understand the underlying biological mechanisms that contribute to our thoughts, emotions, and actions. It helps us to understand why certain behaviors may be more common in certain individuals or populations, and can inform interventions and treatments for behavioral disorders.

What are some potential ethical considerations in the study of human behavioral biology?

Some potential ethical considerations in the study of human behavioral biology include privacy and confidentiality of research participants, informed consent, and ensuring that research is conducted in an ethical and responsible manner. It is also important to consider potential stigmatization or discrimination against certain populations based on their genetic or biological characteristics.