I'm crying and suicidal. and a bit hungry

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bit
In summary: I think Pengwuino is busy eating avocado lasagna :tongue2:In summary, a teacher is grading their students' first lab assignment, which was a 175 question math review covering basic addition to logarithms and basic algebra. The first student did decently, but the second student's poor performance caused the teacher to cry. The teacher expresses frustration at the lack of arithmetic skills in their students and shares that they have considered switching to multiple choice exams. Other individuals join in the conversation, sharing their own struggles with teaching and students' lack of basic math skills. The conversation also briefly mentions a recipe for avocado lasagna.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
So I began grading my students first lab assignment. It was a 175 question math review going all the way from basic addition to logarithms and basic algebra and they had a week to do it.

First person was decent enough.

This second person makes me cry. MY STUDENTS CANT DO ARITHMETIC WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH :cry: :cry: :cry:

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Please, leave me alone. I don't want to speak to anyone ever again :cry: :cry: :cry:

Also, does anyone have a good recipe for a good lasagna?

Physics news on Phys.org
awww, I know how you feel :(

I feel your pain! I remember grading a homework assignment and concluding that forget physics, some of these kids cannot string a meaningful sentence together. Brutal.

(I ended up switching several of the exams to be multiple choice--just to give me a break when I graded them. Of course, my multiple choice questions were pretty tricky! :devil:)

Ohhhh 3rd and 4th person sadfaced me too!

Welcome to the world of teaching.
1% teaching physics, 99% teaching basic algebra.
I share your pain.

It's still rewarding to see someone learn and enjoy it, even if it's only basic algebra. :smile:

Teehee.

Guess what? They're all future teachers.

THAT'S RIGHT, YOUR CHILDREN'S TEACHERS CAN'T DO BASIC MATH.

Home schooling my lil penguins.

I like Serena said:
Welcome to the world of teaching.
1% teaching physics, 99% teaching basic algebra.
I share your pain.

It's still rewarding to see someone learn and enjoy it, even if it's only basic algebra. :smile:

so true, when I work as a TA, I spend most of the time showing people how to do algebraic rearrangements and trignometric identities

Pengwuino said:
Teehee.

Guess what? They're all future teachers.

THAT'S RIGHT, YOUR CHILDREN'S TEACHERS CAN'T DO BASIC MATH.

Home schooling my lil penguins.
Pengy,

Do any of your students:

A: Know you are a member of PF
B: Know your ID

If yes, then tread carefully my flippered friend, some disgruntled student could use this post against you. I am semi serious here. Nothing you have said is inflamatory, but with people losing their jobs over their FB posts, you never know what will raise the ire of college administrators. Just a thought.

Rhody... :yuck:

It would be interesting to see questions and - at least some - answers. I wonder how serious the problem is.

I thought you were teachign physics.

flyingpig said:
I thought you were teachign physics.

That's Peng thought up to today as well.

Just fail them all and laugh at them when they cry leaving the classroom. My calculus teacher did that

rhody said:
Pengy,

Do any of your students:

A: Know you are a member of PF
B: Know your ID

If yes, then tread carefully my flippered friend, some disgruntled student could use this post against you. I am semi serious here. Nothing you have said is inflamatory, but with people losing their jobs over their FB posts, you never know what will raise the ire of college administrators. Just a thought.

Rhody... :yuck:

God no, I'm not that dumb. I think. Honestly, some of my students during yesterdays lab didn't realize that the packet I gave them with the instructions on how to do the lab was... well, in fact, instructions on how to do the lab. SIGH.

Borek said:
It would be interesting to see questions and - at least some - answers. I wonder how serious the problem is.

I'll put some up when I get back home :)

Borek said:
That's Peng thought up to today as well.

LAWLS D:

Not good! It's really not good if your students can't master questions that can be easily tackled with algebra. Does your university actually have any entrance requirements or do they just want the tuition money?

If today's students scare you, you oughta meet some of today's graduates.

I recently conducted an online "discussion" with a man older than myself, and with more degrees than myself, on a matter of history, such that, had I been this guy's world history professor, I could easily imagine him asking me questions on the order of: "Did the Nazis build the Berlin Wall to keep Varius' Roman Legions out?".

In fact, there's one on-line discussion I've had with a woman who is known to me to be a Ph.D. candidate at a European university (I'm no victim of internet fraud here: I know her independently) whom I found impossible to enlighten as to the difference between public-sector employees and private-sector employees.

As I've said, if it's just your idiot students you're afraid of, you're totally over-optimistic!

turbo said:
Not good! It's really not good if your students can't master questions that can be easily tackled with algebra. Does your university actually have any entrance requirements or do they just want the tuition money?

Turbo:

Did Penguino say anything about his being an instructor at university level?

BadBrain said:
Turbo:

Did Penguino say anything about his being an instructor at university level?
His students are undergraduate university.

Pengwuino said:
Also, does anyone have a good recipe for a good lasagna?

I have a GREAT lasagna recipe. But it is made of AVOCADO!

:devil:

Ms Music said:

<PERK> Avocado? :!)

BadBrain said:
: "Did the Nazis build the Berlin Wall to keep Varius' Roman Legions out?".

Well, what is the answer? Don't just leave it dangling like that in suspense!:confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
:redface:Hey sometimes the obvious is not so obvious...like multiplying both sides by 8, etc:biggrin:.

I tried this one sans pork and used store bought sauce and it was good
http://mylasagnarecipe.com/"

Pengy, I want to see funny answers! :grumpy:

I once saw a student write [itex]\frac{\hbar}{2}i\geq\frac{\hbar}{2}[/itex] in a third year undergrad physics course.

Borek said:

micromass said:
Pengy, I want to see funny answers! :grumpy:

Me too! :biggrin:

NeoDevin said:
I once saw a student write [itex]\frac{\hbar}{2}i\geq\frac{\hbar}{2}[/itex] in a third year undergrad physics course.
That is soooo ridiculous!

I have no idea what that means lol

Evo said:
His students are undergraduate university.

Ok technically this new job is at a community college so no, not university students. However, after telling my adviser about these near-Einsteins, he commented to me that he had students in our physics for non-engineers (so not even physics for poets/morons) who didn't know how to do inverses (that is, 1/x = 5/8... x =...)

Ms Music said:

BAN HER EVO! AVACADOS MUST DIE

256bits said:
Well, what is the answer? Don't just leave it dangling like that in suspense!:confused:

Yah what a jerk! I want to know what happened!

HeLiXe said:
:redface:Hey sometimes the obvious is not so obvious...like multiplying both sides by 8, etc:biggrin:.

I tried this one sans pork and used store bought sauce and it was good
http://mylasagnarecipe.com/"

*pats Helixe on the head* there there, we all make mistakes.

Just kidding, I'm perfect. You should be ashamed.

NeoDevin said:
I once saw a student write [itex]\frac{\hbar}{2}i\ge \frac{\hbar}{2}[/itex] in a third year undergrad physics course.

It has more things on the left hand side!

Well, was your test anything like this one?

I would cry with you but I'm afraid that would be too homo. Even for me. :)

Thy Apathy said:
Well, was your test anything like this one?

I would cry with you but I'm afraid that would be too homo. Even for me. :)

What the F*** is that test?!??! Is that a math test for people who want to be teachers?

Pengwuino said:
What the F*** is that test?!??! Is that a math test for people who want to be teachers?

Use it to scare your students. (for ages 15-16)

If you want to scar them for life, go for http://xtremepapers.net/CIE/International%20A%20And%20AS%20Level/9231%20-%20Further%20Mathematics/9231_s02_qp_1.pdf" . (taken by students aged 18 - note, that I don't do this subject; wish I did though)

Saves you the trouble of typing up another exam.

I am retired now. But most of my time in class was spent teaching students ... how to think!

NeoDevin said:

If i is greater than or equal to one, then he's correct.

Could you clarify the value of i?

And what does h stand for? Hypotenuse? If this a trigonometric equation, then your student was obviously wrong.

But you're leaving me guessing as to the value of your variables.

Stole this one from Chicago's famous radio "journalist" Paul Harvey:

Definition: Hypotenuse:

Occupied lavatory aboard an airplane!

(Get it?)

Pengwuino said:
Ok technically this new job is at a community college so no, not university students. However, after telling my adviser about these near-Einsteins, he commented to me that he had students in our physics for non-engineers (so not even physics for poets/morons) who didn't know how to do inverses (that is, 1/x = 5/8... x =...)

Well, OK, so I'm aware that some young offenders are sentenced to community college (at least they are in my state), so your story begins to make more sense than my own observations concerning genuine university graduates.

BadBrain said:
If i is greater than or equal to one, then he's correct.

Could you clarify the value of i?

And what does h stand for? Hypotenuse? If this a trigonometric equation, then your student was obviously wrong.

But you're leaving me guessing as to the value of your variables.

i is the imaginary constant, i.e. [itex]i^2=-1[/itex]
[itex]\hbar[/itex] is Planck's constant (or something like that)
2 is 1+1

turbo said:

This is just speculation on my part, but I suspect these students did quite well in their respective algebra classes. Students just seem to have a habit of dumping all knowledge as soon as they take an exam on a topic.

So, it's quite possible that even a university with entrance requirements might let in students that got an A in their previous classes, but have since forgotten everything they've learned.