Equation of a Plane in R^n , n>3

• Thread starter WWGD
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plane
In summary, a plane in \mathbb{R}^n for n>3 can be defined as any image of a linear map with rank=2, or as a sub-space with co-dimension 1. To identify a 2-dimensional plane in n-dimensional space, n-2 numerical equations would be required. It would also have n-2 linearly independent normal vectors, which can be found by taking the intersection of hyperplanes passing through a given point with each of the normal vectors.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi,

Just curious: what is the equation of a plane in R^n for n>3 ?

We cannot define a normal vector for n>3 , so, what do we do? I thought

of working with flat, embedded copies of R^2 . In terms of linear algebra,

I guess we could see a plane in R^n as any image of a linear map with

rank=2. In terms of geometry, maybe we need a "flat" embedding of R^2

(I am not clear how to make the term 'flat' here more precise) in R^n.

Anyone know?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
WWGD said:
Hi,

Just curious: what is the equation of a plane in R^n for n>3 ?

We cannot define a normal vector for n>3 , so, what do we do? I thought

of working with flat, embedded copies of R^2 . In terms of linear algebra,

I guess we could see a plane in R^n as any image of a linear map with

rank=2. In terms of geometry, maybe we need a "flat" embedding of R^2

(I am not clear how to make the term 'flat' here more precise) in R^n.

Anyone know?

Thanks.
In terms of [itex]\mathbb{R}^n[/itex], then for [itex]\boldsymbol{x} = [x_1,x_2,\ldots,x_n]^\text{T}\in\mathbb{R}^n[/itex] and non-zero scalars [itex]a_n[/itex] the sub-space

[tex]\text{const.} = \sum_{i=1}^n a_ix_i[/tex]

is a hyperplane of [itex]\mathbb{R}^n[/itex]. In actuality, the definition of a hyperplane is more compact: A hyperplane of any vector space is any vector subspace of co-dimension 1.

Thganks, but I was thinking of a 2-d plane living in R^n with n higher than 2.

would that still be defined as a1.x1+a2.x2+a3.x3+0x4+...+0.xn=constant?

No. It cannot be done with a single equation like that. To identify an m-dimensional object in n-dimensional space requires n- m numerical equations. That is why Hootenanny was able to give a single equation for a hyper-plane (codimension 1 so dimension n- 1). To determine a 2 dimensional plane in n dimensional space would require n- 2 numerical equations.

It would have n-2 linearly independent normal vectors. Take the intersection of the hyperplanes passing through a given point, each with one of the normal vectors.

1. What is the equation of a plane in R^n, n>3?

The equation of a plane in R^n, n>3 is a mathematical representation of a flat, two-dimensional surface in a multi-dimensional space. It is typically represented as Ax + By + Cz + ... = D, where A, B, C, and so on are constants and x, y, z, and so on are variables.

2. How is the equation of a plane in R^n, n>3 different from a plane in R^3?

A plane in R^3 has three variables (x, y, and z) and is represented by the equation Ax + By + Cz = D. In contrast, a plane in R^n, n>3 has n variables and is represented by an equation with n terms, such as Ax + By + Cz + ... = D.

3. How can the equation of a plane in R^n, n>3 be used in real-world applications?

The equation of a plane in R^n, n>3 can be used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics to model and analyze multi-dimensional systems. For example, it can be used to describe the motion of objects in space or to create 3D animations.

4. Are there any special cases for the equation of a plane in R^n, n>3?

Yes, there are a few special cases for the equation of a plane in R^n, n>3. One example is when n=4, the equation represents a three-dimensional hyperplane in four-dimensional space. Another example is when n=2, the equation represents a line in two-dimensional space.

5. How can the equation of a plane in R^n, n>3 be solved?

The equation of a plane in R^n, n>3 can be solved using various methods, depending on the context and desired outcome. One approach is to use linear algebra techniques such as Gaussian elimination to find the values of the constants that satisfy the equation. Another approach is to use geometric methods, such as finding the intersection of the plane with other planes or lines in the space.