No-Name MS to Prestigious P.h.D?

• Thread starter blaughli
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is considering a physics MS program at a CSU and is wondering if they can gain entrance into a top-notch PhD program based on their research at a DOE national lab. They may also pursue a PhD in another field, such as oceanography. The speaker is advised to network and make their research visible to top-tier departments, as well as aim for perfect grades and GRE scores. They are also informed of a change in ETS policy regarding reporting GRE scores. The speaker thanks the expert for their advice and asks about their background, to which they respond that they just graduated with a BS and will start a PhD program in the fall. They also recommend resources and wish the speaker good luck.
blaughli
I am all but committed to an physics MS program at a CSU that does not offer P.h.D.s. I am wondering if it is possible/plausible that, if I do well in this program, I can gain entrance into a top-notch P.h.D program. I have a good connection for research and should be able to write my thesis based on this research, which will be based at a DOE national lab.

I may decide to go for a P.h.D in a field other than physics, such as oceanography or some other computationally intensive branch of natural science. If I were to pursue oceanography, I would shoot for Scripps.

Thanks for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
Getting into a top-notch PHD program is (mostly) dependent on research/recommendations. The main disadvantage with going to a no-name school is that the professors who advise you might not be well-known by the top-tier departments you'll be applying to. My advice would be to network really well: try to make your research visible to the departments and maybe try to contact professors so that they recognize your name when it comes through the admissions committees.

Obviously, you should also try to get perfect grades, perfect GREs, etc. But you know that.

That's pretty clear advice, thanks vitamin.

A problem for me might be that the program I'm going to has basically offered me an open door this Fall without having taken the GRE yet (and I am very late in applying), but I have to take the GRE within the next two weeks. I was told that an "average" score would be fine. Well, I can score an "average" in two weeks, but "perfect" might require more time, and I don't have time. Will a non-excellent score now hurt me when I apply for a PhD in ~three years? I can take it again, but all scores are reported...

Luckily for you, the ETS has just changed their policy! You won't have to worry about reporting all scores:
http://www.ets.org/newsroom/news_releases/gre_scoreselect_option [Broken]

Actually, it sounds like you're talking about the general GRE since the physics isn't being offered again until October. I don't know how the other fields base their admissions, but for physics the general GRE is a very small factor, they mostly just don't want you to bomb it. Two weeks for studying will suffice (I don't think I started studying until 4-5 days prior).

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, that's awesome! Thanks vitamin! I'm so new to this - so I send them the scores rather than them inquiring themselves? If I only have to report my best, then this is great news. It does seem that this is what the article implied.

Great advice, what's your background?

I just graduated with a BS and will start a PHD program this fall, so I just went through the applications process last Fall/Winter. It's pretty grueling, especially if you apply to a lot of schools (I applied to 12! which was actually about the amount most of my friends applied to). There are some really good resources for preparation, especially physicsgre.com. My undergrad advisors also had a lot of useful advice. Good luck!

king vitamin said:
Luckily for you, the ETS has just changed their policy! You won't have to worry about reporting all scores:
http://www.ets.org/newsroom/news_releases/gre_scoreselect_option [Broken]

Actually, it sounds like you're talking about the general GRE since the physics isn't being offered again until October. I don't know how the other fields base their admissions, but for physics the general GRE is a very small factor, they mostly just don't want you to bomb it. Two weeks for studying will suffice (I don't think I started studying until 4-5 days prior).

That's great! Does this includes the Physics GRE (PGRE) in addition to the normal GRE?

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How can I go from having a no-name MS to a prestigious P.h.D?

There is no one definitive answer to this question as the path to earning a prestigious P.h.D can vary greatly. However, some common steps that can increase your chances include gaining research experience, building a strong academic record, networking with professionals in your field, and showcasing your passion and dedication in your application materials.

2. Is it possible to get into a prestigious P.h.D program with a no-name MS?

Yes, it is possible to be accepted into a prestigious P.h.D program with a no-name MS. While having a degree from a well-known institution can help, it is not the only factor that admissions committees consider. They also look at research experience, letters of recommendation, and personal statements.

3. Will my chances of getting into a prestigious P.h.D program be affected by my MS program's reputation?

While having a degree from a prestigious institution may give you a slight advantage, it is not the only factor that admissions committees consider. What matters more is your academic record, research experience, and potential for success in a P.h.D program. Focus on excelling in these areas rather than worrying about the reputation of your MS program.

4. Are there any specific things I can do to improve my chances of getting into a prestigious P.h.D program?

Yes, there are several things you can do to improve your chances of getting into a prestigious P.h.D program. These include gaining research experience, building strong relationships with faculty members, and showcasing your passion and dedication in your application materials. Additionally, taking challenging courses, participating in extracurricular activities, and networking with professionals in your field can also improve your chances.

5. Is it worth pursuing a P.h.D from a prestigious institution?

Whether or not pursuing a P.h.D from a prestigious institution is worth it depends on your personal and career goals. Keep in mind that earning a P.h.D requires a significant amount of time, effort, and dedication. It is important to carefully consider your motivations and goals before committing to a P.h.D program, regardless of the institution's reputation.