Linear Algebra by Friedberg, Insel and Spence

In summary: Overall, this book is a good introduction to linear algebra for undergraduates, and I would recommend it.

For those who have used this book

• Lightly don't Recommend

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Strongly don't Recommend

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
micromass
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
  • Author: Stephen Friedberg, Arnold Insel, Lawrence Spence
  • Title: Linear Algebra
  • Amazon link https://www.amazon.com/dp/0130084514/?tag=pfamazon01-20
  • Prerequisities: Being acquainted with proofs and rigorous mathematics. Knowing what matrices and determinants are, is also helpful.
  • Level: Undergrad

Table of Contents:
Code:
[LIST]
[*] Preface
[*] Vector Spaces
[LIST]
[*] Introduction
[*] Vector Spaces
[*] Subspaces
[*] Linear Combinations and Systems of Linear Equations
[*] Linear Dependence and Linear Independence
[*] Bases and Dimension
[*] Maximal Linearly Independent Subsets
[/LIST]
[*] Linear Transformations and Matrices
[LIST]
[*] Linear Transformations, Null Spaces, and Ranges
[*] The Matrix Representation of a Linear Transformation
[*] Composition of Linear Transformations and Matrix Multiplication
[*] Invertibility and Isomorphisms
[*] The Change of Coordinate Matrix
[*] Dual Spaces
[*] Homogeneous Linear Differential Equations with Constant Coefficients
[/LIST]
[*] Elementary Matrix Operations and Systems of Linear Equations
[LIST]
[*] Elementary Matrix Operations and Elementary Matrices
[*] The Rank of a Matrix and Matrix Inverses
[*] Systems of Linear Equations - Theoretical Aspects
[*] Systems of Linear Equations - Computational Aspects
[/LIST]
[*] Determinants
[LIST]
[*] Determinants of Order [itex]2[/itex]
[*] Determinants of Order [itex]n[/itex]
[*] Properties of Determinants
[*] Summary - Important Facts about Determinants
[/LIST]
[*] Diagonalization
[LIST]
[*] Eigenvalues and Eigenvectors
[*] Diagonalizability
[*] Matrix Limits and Markov Chains
[*] Invariant Subspaces and the Cayley-Hamilton Theorem
[/LIST]
[*] Inner Product Spaces
[LIST]
[*] Inner Products and Norms
[*] The Gram-Schmidt Orthogonalization Process and Orthogonal Complements
[*] The Adjoint of a Linear Operator
[*] Normal and Self-Adjoint Operators
[*] Unitary and Orthogonal Operators and Their Matrices
[*] Orthogonal Projections and the Spectral Theorem
[*] Bilinear and Quadratic Forms
[*] Einstein's Special Theory of Relativity
[*] Conditioning and they Rayleigh Quotient
[*] The Geometry of Orthogonal Operators
[/LIST]
[*] Canonical Forms
[LIST]
[*] Generalized Eigenvectors
[*] Jordan Canonical Form
[*] The Minimal Polynomial
[*] Rational Canonical Form
[/LIST]
[*] Appendices
[LIST]
[*] Sets
[*] Functions
[*] Fields
[*] Complex Numbers
[*] Polynomials
[/LIST]
[*] Answers to Selected Exercises
[*] List of Frequently Used Symbols
[*] Index of Theorems
[*] Index
[/LIST]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I found this book very clear and used it for my upper level undergrad course. I have some differences of philosophy with them, but you can learn a lot here. I wish there were a recommendation stronger than loight and lighter than strong in this case. I.e. I give it a B not C.

I like this book, which I now use as my main linear algebra reference (with Hoffman & Kunze close behind). My second course in LA was from Axler. I like Axler's style, but he keeps to a very narrow (theoretical) path through Linear Algebra, which makes his book not so good for general reference.

Friedberg et al. give a well-organized and rigorous (at a basic level) summary of most of the linear algebra that undergrads need to know. Pretty much everything is here, but it will appeal more to mathematicians than, say, engineers.

The only drawback is that the hardback is stupidly expensive, and the paperback international (Indian) edition is printed on very low quality paper (beware Prentice Hall's "Eastern Economy Editions").

to be specific, i recall i was puzzled that they chose to ignore the powerful role of the minimal polynomial for much of this book in developing the structure of linear maps. I seem to recall that as a stated principle of theirs, that they chose to treat linear algebra without relying on facts about polynomials, for some reason.

In my own class notes which I wrote whole teaching the course, and posted free on my website, you will see how easily the concept of minimal polynomial leads to precise structure theorems more easily and naturally in my opinion than the approach used here.

I thought this book has, in contrast to the claims of some negative reviews at Amazon, many helpful numerical examples and problems, as well as clear explanations and proofs. I just felt that the proofs could be made conceptually easier by using the minimal polynomial more fully.

I highly recommend "Linear Algebra" by Friedberg, Insel, and Spence to anyone who wants a comprehensive understanding of this fundamental branch of mathematics. This book is ideal for undergraduate students who have a strong background in rigorous mathematics and are familiar with matrices and determinants.

The authors have done an excellent job of organizing the material in a logical and coherent manner. The book is divided into eight chapters, each building upon the previous one to provide a thorough understanding of vector spaces, linear transformations, matrices, determinants, diagonalization, inner product spaces, and canonical forms.

One of the strengths of this book is the emphasis on proofs and theoretical aspects, allowing readers to develop a deeper understanding of the concepts rather than just memorizing formulas. The numerous examples and exercises also help to reinforce the material and provide opportunities for students to practice their problem-solving skills.

Another aspect that sets this book apart is its inclusion of applications of linear algebra in areas such as physics, engineering, and computer science. This makes the material more relevant and interesting for students and highlights the practical applications of linear algebra.

In addition, the appendices on sets, functions, fields, complex numbers, and polynomials provide a helpful review for those who may need it. The answers to selected exercises at the end of the book also serve as a useful resource for students to check their work.

Overall, "Linear Algebra" by Friedberg, Insel, and Spence is a well-written, comprehensive, and rigorous textbook that is suitable for undergraduate students. I highly recommend it to anyone looking to deepen their understanding of this important mathematical subject.

What is Linear Algebra?

Linear Algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with linear equations, linear transformations, and vector spaces. It involves the study of systems of linear equations and their solutions, as well as the properties of linear transformations and their representations in vector spaces.

Who are the authors of "Linear Algebra by Friedberg, Insel and Spence"?

The authors of "Linear Algebra" are Stephen H. Friedberg, Arnold J. Insel, and Lawrence E. Spence. They are all professors of mathematics at various universities and have extensive experience in teaching and research in the field of linear algebra.

What topics are covered in "Linear Algebra by Friedberg, Insel and Spence"?

The book covers a wide range of topics in linear algebra, including vector spaces, linear transformations, matrices, determinants, eigenvalues and eigenvectors, inner product spaces, and diagonalization. It also includes applications of linear algebra in areas such as differential equations, geometry, and computer graphics.

What level of mathematics is required to understand "Linear Algebra by Friedberg, Insel and Spence"?

"Linear Algebra" is typically used as a textbook for undergraduate courses in linear algebra. Therefore, a solid foundation in algebra and calculus is necessary to fully understand the concepts and problems presented in the book.

Is "Linear Algebra by Friedberg, Insel and Spence" a good resource for self-study?

Yes, "Linear Algebra" is a comprehensive and well-written textbook that can be used for self-study. It provides clear explanations, numerous examples, and a variety of exercises to help readers understand and apply the concepts of linear algebra.