Calculus Made Easy by Silvanus P. Thompson

• Calculus
  • Thread starter bcrowell
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
In summary: This book is very short and accessible.i never learned anything from this book but i loved its tone and humor.In summary, Silvanus P. Thompson's Calculus Made Easy is a 1910 book that is designed to be a gentle introduction to calculus for students who are not familiar with the subject. It is short, easy to read, and humorous. Although it is somewhat dated in terms of terminology, the book is still helpful for first-time calculus students. Some false statements are included, but they are generally trivial and can be easily avoided by readers who are studying calculus properly from a more specific book.

For those who have used this book

• Lightly don't Recommend

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Strongly don't Recommend

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
bcrowell
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member

Table of Contents:
Code:
[LIST]
[*] Prologue
[*] To deliver you from the Preliminary Terrors
[*] On Different Degrees of Smallness
[*] On Relative Growings
[*] Simplest Cases
[*] Next Stage. What to do with Constants
[*] Sums, Differences, Products and Quotients
[*] Successive Differentiation
[*] When Time Varies
[*] Introducing a Useful Dodge
[*] Geometrical Meaning of Differentiation
[*] Maxima and Minima
[*] Curvature of Curves
[*] Other Useful Dodges 
[*] On true Compound Interest and the Law of Organic Growth
[*] How to deal with Sines and Cosines
[*] Partial Differentiation
[*] Integration
[*] Integrating as the Reverse of Differentiating
[*] On Finding Areas by Integrating
[*] Dodges, Pitfalls, and Triumphs
[*] Finding some Solutions
[*]Table of Standard Forms
[*] Answers to Exercises
[/LIST]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
This is a wonderful, friendly, brief introduction to calculus, from 1910. Many 20th-century scientists and mathematicians learned calculus from it. The Project Gutenberg version has been converted into LaTeX. The version currently in print has been revised by Martin Gardner.

I enjoyed reading this book back in high school. Although, if I do recall it's a bit dated in termology, but it's a short read, and by the end of the book you come out with a fairly good grasp on basic calculus. Enough to give you the courage to learn more.

I read the original version. It's very short and accessible.

i never learned anything from this book but i loved its tone and humor. I have looked again more closely at it recently and still love the style of it but have noticed serious shortcomings related to actually learning calculus from it. Namely he does not explain why the rules he gives should be believed, and many statements are technically false. Thus one who seeks to understand what he reads will be left wanting here.

Last edited:
Likes WWGD and atyy
I'm reading this right now along side Quick Calculus, Stewart's, and MIT OCW and I am finding it pretty helpful and gives a different perspective than the other book. Great book

First calculus book I ever read (back in the 1970s), and the best introduction I have ever seen.

Likes bcrowell
In fact I would expand on my previous post. When I started this book, aged 14 in 1977, I knew no calculus. I read it non stop for about a week, and completed all the exercises, by which time I was very comfortable with single variable calculus. What I particularly remember is how the book opened my eyes to great new things, without seeming to involve much effort. Very natural. My 1977 copy is on the top shelf of my bookcase, waiting for my kids to be old enough to read it...

It's what I read when I couldn't understand much from the advanced books. It's really helpful and encouraging.. this book. A must read if you are just starting Calculus.

For me calculus was 30 years ago, this sounds like a good refresher.

I order using the link provided, so hopefully Physics Forums get a credit from Amazon!

Very nice book but it assumes you know the binomial expansion for positive and negative exponents. Make sure you review those first.

mathwonk said:
, and many statements are technically false.
Can you elaborate on this? How bad is it?

I have a copy of the updated 1998 edition that I'm intending to go through in order to get a decent conceptual overview of calculus, before learning it properly from Spivak a few months later.

Are there any specific false statements that I should be aware of while reading it, or are they all trivial, considering that I will do Spivak later?

Last edited:
I don't remember what statements I was talking about, but I am guessing it won't matter to you as a learner. I.e. we learn gradually by degrees, and very likely the false statements will not be visible to a first time learner. So if you read it and learn what you can and then progress to another more precise book, not even necessarily as precise as Spivak, the errors will just become more clear and fall away and you will fill in the more correct versions with no problem. So don't worry about it. Just try to ask yourself why each statement is true, and put an asterisk by anything not completely proved, if you like.

OK here's one: on page 9, line -6 he says that when x changes to x+dx, then y changes to y-dy, because y decreases. This is wrong. y always changes to y+dy, but sometimes dy is negative.

Likes smodak, atyy and o49183
Thank you.

mathwonk said:
i never learned anything from this book but i loved its tone and humor. I have looked again more closely at it recently and still love the style of it but have noticed serious shortcomings related to actually learning calculus from it. Namely he does not explain why the rules he gives should be believed, and many statements are technically false. Thus one who seeks to understand what he reads will be left wanting here.
I agree; if one is willing to put rigor aside temporarily and fill it in later, this book works well. And there is nothing wrong with following a mixed bottom-up and/or top-down approach.

Just started reading the download and page 5...
"then 1/ 1,000,000 of 1/ 1,000,000 , that is 1/ 1,000,000,000,000 (or one billionth)"
That's 1 trillionth, right? Not that it discourages me from continuing, I like spotting errors!

Likes RedDelicious and jerromyjon
Pretentious B.S reply: Shouldn't it be Calculus made _hard_? It is already easy...:) . My prof used to say this, jokingly, of course.

1. What is the main purpose of "Calculus Made Easy by Silvanus P. Thompson"?

The main purpose of "Calculus Made Easy" is to introduce the fundamental concepts of calculus in a clear and easy-to-understand manner. It is intended to make the subject more approachable for beginners and to help them build a strong foundation in calculus.

2. Is "Calculus Made Easy" suitable for self-study?

Yes, "Calculus Made Easy" is designed to be easily understood and self-taught. It provides step-by-step explanations, examples, and practice problems to help readers grasp the concepts on their own.

3. Does "Calculus Made Easy" cover both differential and integral calculus?

Yes, "Calculus Made Easy" covers both differential and integral calculus. It starts with the basics of differentiation and then moves on to integration and their applications.

4. Can this book be used as a reference for higher level calculus courses?

While "Calculus Made Easy" is a great resource for beginners, it may not be sufficient for advanced level calculus courses. It covers the basics and some advanced topics, but it is not meant to replace a textbook for higher level courses.

5. Are there any prerequisites for reading "Calculus Made Easy"?

Some basic knowledge of algebra and geometry is recommended before reading "Calculus Made Easy". However, the book does provide a brief review of these topics in the beginning to help refresh readers' memory.