Newton to Tonnes (force) conversion

In summary, the conversion factor from Newtons to tonnes is 1 Newton = 0.00010197162 tonne-force. It is important to note that tonne is a unit for force, while ton is a unit for mass. The metric prefix for kilogram-force is "Kgf" and 1 Kgf equals 9.80665 Newtons. Additionally, 1 tonne-force is equal to 9.80665 * 103 Newtons. It is also worth mentioning that "tonne" is the correct spelling for the metric unit, not "ton". Finally, tonne is a metric unit for mass while ton is an imperial unit for mass.
NSX
Does anyone know the conversion factor to go from a force in Newtons to a force in tonnes?

The only relevant information I could find was this site, which says "1 Newton = 0.00010197162 tonne-force"

Is this correct?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
There's a difference.Tonne(s) is a unit for mass,while Tonne-force is a unit for force.

1Kgf=9.80665N

That's all u need to know.The rest is just metric prefix...

Daniel.

So, 1 KgForce = 9.806 65N

Since 1 tonne (or is it ton?) = 1000 kg, does this mean 1 Tonne-force = 9.806 65 * 103N?

That's right."Kgf" is an ancient unit for force,but the metric prefixes go way back.

TONNE...(not "ton"!).

Daniel.

Thanks for clarifying the tonne-force issue.

However, my professor insists that tonne is for force, and ton is for mass.

Bull****!:mad:

[tex] 1 tonne=1,000 Kg [/tex]
[tex] 1 ton\sim 907 Kg [/tex]

Daniel.

I'd like to second Dex. Your professor is utterly wrong. Ton is an imperial unit of mass, Tonne is metric.

I think this "ton" is a nice multiple of pound avoirdupoids.2000,maybe...?

Daniel.

Thanks so much guys.

I'll tell correct my prof on Monday then. :)

1. What is the formula for converting Newtons to Tonnes (force)?

The formula for converting Newtons to Tonnes (force) is 1 Newton = 0.00010197 Tonnes (force). This means that to convert from Newtons to Tonnes (force), you would divide the value in Newtons by 0.00010197.

2. Why do we use Tonnes (force) as a unit of force?

Tonnes (force) is commonly used as a unit of force because it is a larger and more practical unit for measuring forces that are typically encountered in everyday life, such as the force of gravity on an object. Using smaller units like Newtons would result in large and unwieldy numbers.

3. Is Tonnes (force) the same as metric tons?

No, Tonnes (force) and metric tons are not the same unit of measurement. Tonnes (force) is a unit of force, while metric tons are a unit of mass. However, in some cases, the two units may be used interchangeably due to the relationship between force and mass.

4. Can you convert from Tonnes (force) to other units of force?

Yes, it is possible to convert from Tonnes (force) to other units of force such as Newtons, pounds, or kilograms. This can be done by using the appropriate conversion factor for each unit of measurement.

5. How is the conversion between Newtons and Tonnes (force) useful?

The conversion between Newtons and Tonnes (force) is useful in many scientific and engineering applications, such as calculating the weight of objects or measuring the force required to move or lift objects. It also allows for easier comparison and communication of force measurements between different countries and industries that may use different units.