Question about this unit conversion principle (multiplying by "1")

In summary, the equation allows for multiplying 100,000 t by 1000kg/t to get 10E8 kg. This is incorrect because 0 kg = 0 t.
ChiralSuperfields
Homework Statement
Please see below
Relevant Equations
Please see below
Suppose I want to convert 100,000 metric Tonnes to kilograms, then I would perform, a unit cancellation:

Given that 1 t = 1000 kg

##100,000 t \times \frac{1000~kg}{1 t} = 1 \times 10^8 kg##, however, why are we allowed to multiply the 100,000 by that?

My reasoning is,
##1 t = 1000 kg##
##1 = \frac{1000 kg}{1 t}## therefore multiplying by ##100,000 t## by ##\frac{1000 kg}{1 t}## is the same as multiplying by 1

Does someone please know whether my reasoning is correct?

Many thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes

• Love
Likes SammyS and ChiralSuperfields
Frabjous said:
Yes
Thank you for your reply @Frabjous!

ChiralSuperfields said:
Suppose I want to convert 100,000 metric Tonnes to kilograms, then I would perform, a unit cancellation:

Given that 1 t = 1000 kg

##100,000 t \times \frac{1000~kg}{1 t} = 1 \times 10^8 kg##, however, why are we allowed to multiply the 100,000 by that?

My reasoning is,
##1 t = 1000 kg##
##1 = \frac{1000 kg}{1 t}## therefore multiplying by ##100,000 t## by ##\frac{1000 kg}{1 t}## is the same as multiplying by 1

Does someone please know whether my reasoning is correct?
No, it is not. Treat the dimensions in the equation as you would unknown variables.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
hmmm27 said:
No, it is not. Treat the dimensions in the equation as you would unknown variables.
You need to expand on that.

Likes hutchphd, DaveE and ChiralSuperfields
##100,000t \times 1 = 100,000t## which is incorrect not the answer to the question.

##\frac t t=1## as a next step yields the correct answer.

Last edited:
Likes ChiralSuperfields
hmmm27 said:
How is that different?

I guess you mean something like this?
##ax = by \Rightarrow x = \frac{b}{a} y##
then substitute to get ## cx = c (\frac{b}{a} y) = (c \frac{b}{a}) y ##
where ## a,b,c ## are constants and ## x, y ## are units (variables?)

This is instead of
##ax = by \Rightarrow 1 = \frac{by}{ax} ##
## cx = cx (1) = cx (\frac{by}{ax})= (c \frac{b}{a}) y ## as others suggested.

I feel like I'm missing your point here.

Likes hutchphd, ChiralSuperfields and Frabjous
You can multiply 100,000t by 1 and you do indeed get 100,000t. So what? That not what is sought. What is sought is to get a final answer in kg, not in t. To do that you need to multiply 100,000t by 1000Kg/t to get 10E8Kg. Units matter.

Likes hutchphd and ChiralSuperfields
My point is the OP used "reasoning" which, while useful in creating or validating a conversion factor, doesn't solve the equation by itself whereas, after including it in the calculation, simple cancellation does :
##100,000 \cancel t \times \frac{1,000kg}{\cancel t} = 100,000,000kg##

Last edited:
Likes ChiralSuperfields
ChiralSuperfields said:
##1 = \frac{1000 kg}{1 t}##
I believe that such equation is not correct.
##1000~kg/t## is simply a rate, a proportion.
It is used only because it is useful in mathematical operations, where it can be cancelled to obtain the desired units.

IMHO, it is not different from ##3600~s/h## or ##1000~km/m##

Likes ChiralSuperfields
Lnewqban said:
I believe that such equation is not correct.
##1000~kg/t## is simply a rate, a proportion.
It is used only because it is useful in mathematical operations, where it can be cancelled to obtain the desired units.

IMHO, it is not different from ##3600~s/h## or ##1000~km/m##
Is there a situation where assuming the equation is correct will get you in trouble?
I agee that it is not different from 3600s/h or 1000m/km.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
Frabjous said:
Is there a situation where assuming the equation is correct will get you in trouble?
I agee that it is not different from 3600s/h or 1000m/km.
It is not incorrect if used as a conversion factor ; but the OP specifically asked "Are we allowed to multiply like that"... then proceeded to not bother, or at least not show the bother.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
hmmm27 said:
It is not incorrect if used as a conversion factor ; but the OP specifically asked "Are we allowed to multiply like that"... then proceeded to not bother, or at least not show the bother.
I am looking for the substantive reason that you believe it is sometimes wrong.

Last edited:
Likes ChiralSuperfields
Frabjous said:
I am looking for the substantive reason that you believe it is wrong.
That I believe what is wrong ? That ##100,000t = 100,000t## is not a useful answer for "convert from tonnes to kg's" ?

Likes ChiralSuperfields
Frabjous said:
I agree that it is not different from 3600s/h or 1000m/km.
No, unless it is taken out of context.
It may be mathematically correct, but I don't know enough to see any value in something like
##1=1~kilo-banana/1000~bananas##.

sddefault.jpg

Likes ChiralSuperfields and hmmm27
Lnewqban said:
No, unless it is taken out of context.
It may be mathematically correct, but I don't know enough to see any value in something like
##1=1~kilo-banana/1000~bananas##.
Obviously you have never studied economics on the Planet of the Apes. :wink: Low utility situations do not invalidate a concept.

There are known pitfalls when dimensionality comes into play. For example, the addition of non-dimensional numbers or the dimensional equivalence of torque and energy. We struggle through.

Last edited:
Likes ChiralSuperfields, DaveE and SammyS
Likes Lnewqban

1. What is the purpose of multiplying by "1" in unit conversion?

The purpose of multiplying by "1" in unit conversion is to create an equivalent fraction that allows us to cancel out the original units and replace them with the desired units. This is known as the unit conversion principle.

2. Why is it important to use the unit conversion principle?

Using the unit conversion principle ensures that we are converting from one unit to another accurately and consistently. It also helps us to maintain the correct units throughout a calculation, which is essential in science.

3. Can multiplying by "1" be used for any type of unit conversion?

Yes, multiplying by "1" can be used for any type of unit conversion as long as the conversion factor is written in the form of an equivalent fraction. This means that the numerator and denominator have the same value, but in different units.

4. How does multiplying by "1" affect the value of the original measurement?

Multiplying by "1" does not change the value of the original measurement. It only changes the units of measurement. This is because multiplying by "1" is equivalent to multiplying by a number with a value of 1, which does not change the value of the original measurement.

5. Is there a specific order in which to use the unit conversion principle?

Yes, the unit conversion principle should be used at the beginning of a calculation to convert the initial measurement into the desired units. It can also be used at any point during a calculation if there is a need to convert between units again.