Can You Solve the Mystery of Where Integral Is?

• Thread starter Integral
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the author is traveling and through the magic of hotel room broadband and a laptop is able to be here just like they were at home. They have been thinking about the Disneyworld thread all day and the Astro blaster giveaway drew them in. They think that the author is probably in Disneyland.
Integral
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I am traveling, and through the magic of hotel room broadband and a laptop am able to be here just like I was at home.

Your Quest, should you choose to accept it to figure out where I am. I will post a few images, if you can figure out, from the images where I am. Well , you win, I guess?

http://home.comcast.net/~rossgr1/img1.JPG
http://home.comcast.net/~rossgr1/im2.JPG
http://home.comcast.net/~rossgr1/Im3.JPG
http://home.comcast.net/~rossgr1/Im4.JPG

I hope that this is not to obvious,

BTW Mentors and Tsu are disqualified...They know :smile:

If nobody gets it tonight I'll post more tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I am accepting bribes for hints. :biggrin:

Integral said:
If nobody gets it tonight I'll post more tomorrow.
How on Earth am I ever supposed to find you if you don't put on your glasses and woolly hat?

I don't have striped shirt either!

Integral said:
I don't have striped shirt either!
Well, I give up then. All I can say for sure is that you're not anywhere within 4 blocks of my house.

Ya... I am not in Canada... That narrows it down a bit!

I can't even figure out what that third picture might be. Pretty pastels. At least I can tell the first one is some sort of sign or emblem, possibly a hotel logo. The second one is a lamp, that I can tell, no idea of its specific significance or location, but at least I know what it is. But that last one I haven't a clue. The colors remind me of a Japanese garden, but it could be anything.

Edit: And as if by magic, another picture appears.

Moonbear said:
The colors remind me of a Japanese garden, but it could be anything.
My first thought was also an Oriental scene of some sort, and we can't both be wrong. :uhh:

Is that first one Art Deco?

Danger said:
My first thought was also an Oriental scene of some sort, and we can't both be wrong. :uhh:

Is that first one Art Deco?

I don't know, but the one with the yellow letters on blue background keeps doing a strange disappearing act. It'll show up, then go away, then show up as a partial image, then overlap with something else. Everytime I reload the page, I get something different on that one.

Maybe a House of Blues Hotel? Loved the one in Chicago--pretty funky and cool!

Not right yet, I wish it were a House of Blues,,,, Though I think there is one near by, I have not been there.

Moonbear said:
Everytime I reload the page, I get something different on that one.
I think the problem's at your end of the line. It's stable here. It can't even be a Mac related problem either, 'cause I'm on a G3.

SOS2008 said:
Maybe a House of Blues Hotel? Loved the one in Chicago--pretty funky and cool!
Do you remember what the signage looked like? The blue/yellow thing could say 'blues'. The top one, though, is an 'R' linked with 2 'P's or 'D's or 'B's.

edit: Okay, the old fart sneaked in while I was composing that. So, is House of Blues international? If there's one nearby, does that mean he's still in the US?

Last edited:
Looks like Disneyland to me.

Danger said:
I think the problem's at your end of the line. It's stable here. It can't even be a Mac related problem either, 'cause I'm on a G3.

Do you remember what the signage looked like? The blue/yellow thing could say 'blues'. The top one, though, is an 'R' linked with 2 'P's or 'D's or 'B's.

edit: Okay, the old fart sneaked in while I was composing that. So, is House of Blues international? If there's one nearby, does that mean he's still in the US?
I get no respect around here, :tongue:

It's all greek to me.

James R said:

I was starting to wonder if it was Disney too, just to rub it in on us Disney lovers!

Maybe Los Angeles, possibly New Orleans...Oh I know Las Vegas! Nah, you probably wouldn't be in your room if you were. :confused:

Are you thinking the House of Blues in New Orleans?

Danger said:

Oh, wait! That's a collage of portraits or something like that. I can see now it has faces on it...people.

James R said:
I missed this post! Bingo, we have a winner.

here is the rest of the story
http://home.comcast.net/~rossgr1/IM8.JPG

They have put up a series of Photomosics, eack is several feet on a side and consists of about 7000 images from the last 50yrs at Disneyland
http://home.comcast.net/~rossgr1/im7.JPG

http://home.comcast.net/~rossgr1/im9.JPG

I have been thinking about this thread all day long, Zz's post about Disneyworld pushed it over the edge.
Good call JamesR, kinka curious, what gave it away?

edit: Oh,yeah the Astro blaster, is a new ride in Tomorrow land, It is on the order of Roger Rabit, but each cart has a pair of Laser Guns, you shoot at targets mounted on the walls and characters in the ride, you get points and a score is kept on the dash of your cart. We went in betting it would be a loser, but went around for a second run. Tnat is the nice thing about DL at this time of year, combined with a threat of rain.. 5 -10min waits for most rides. Good fun

Last edited by a moderator:
Integral said:
edit: Oh,yeah the Astro blaster, is a new ride in Tomorrow land, It is on the order of Roger Rabit, but each cart has a pair of Laser Guns, you shoot at targets mounted on the walls and characters in the ride, you get points and a score is kept on the dash of your cart. We went in betting it would be a loser, but went around for a second run. Tnat is the nice thing about DL at this time of year, combined with a threat of rain.. 5 -10min waits for most rides. Good fun

Disney World has a Buzz Lightyear ride that's the same concept. Great fun! It's like a ride-through arcade game! :biggrin:

If you get a chance while you're there check out knottsberry farm also.. And you're right next to medieval times-If you saw "the cable guy" that's the place that's in the movie.

THat was fun, had me thinking all day. Ok Integral..go someplace else. I want to do this again!

Good call JamesR, kinka curious, what gave it away?

For me, something in the Disneyland railroad sign triggered a memory. I'm Australian, but I went there about two years ago. The Buzz Lightyear thing wasn't there - or the mosaics.

I actually liked the California Adventure better than the original Disneyland. Favorite ride was the California Screaming roller coaster, though I also liked Indiana Jones, Flying over California, Pirates of the Carribean and others I can't think of right now.

James R said:
For me, something in the Disneyland railroad sign triggered a memory. I'm Australian, but I went there about two years ago. The Buzz Lightyear thing wasn't there - or the mosaics.

I actually liked the California Adventure better than the original Disneyland. Favorite ride was the California Screaming roller coaster, though I also liked Indiana Jones, Flying over California, Pirates of the Carribean and others I can't think of right now.

Unless they also have the same thing in Disneyland, the Buzz Lightyear thing that Moonbear described is in Disney WORLD (at Magic Kingdom to be exact), which is in Orlando, FL. If you haven't been there, it is significantly larger (waaaaay larger) than Disneyworld and even California Adventure combined. In fact, Animal Kingdom alone at Disney World is larger than the those two parks together.

So, you should plan another trip with us soon! :)

Zz.

I've never been to the east coast of the US, and it's definitely on my list. There are a few places in the east which are higher up than Florida for me, though...

1. What is an integral and why is it important?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve on a graph. It is important because it allows us to find the total value of a function over a certain interval, which has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. How do you solve for the integral of a function?

To solve for the integral of a function, you can use various methods such as the Riemann sum, the Trapezoidal rule, or the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus. The specific method used depends on the complexity of the function and the desired level of accuracy.

3. Is it possible to find the exact value of an integral?

In some cases, it is possible to find the exact value of an integral using analytical methods such as integration by substitution or integration by parts. However, for more complex functions, it may be necessary to use numerical methods to approximate the integral.

4. Can integrals be used in real-world scenarios?

Yes, integrals are used in many real-world scenarios such as calculating the area under a velocity-time graph to determine displacement, finding the total cost of a product given a demand function, or calculating the volume of a three-dimensional object.

5. How does the concept of integration relate to differentiation?

The concept of integration is closely related to differentiation, as they are inverse operations of each other. Integration allows us to find the function given its derivative, while differentiation allows us to find the derivative of a function. Both are fundamental concepts in calculus and are used in various mathematical and scientific applications.