1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Double (Iterated) Integration. Where am I going wrong?

1. Jun 30, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let D be the region in the x,y-plane enclosed by the curves x = (y^2) - 9 and x = 2y - 6. Find the volume of the solid with base D that lies under the surface z = 1y^2.

2. Relevant equations

Fubini's Theorem and Fundamental Theorem of Calculus

3. The attempt at a solution

Hello everyone,

I need some help with a simple iterated integration. I just can't seem to figure out where I am going wrong. According to an online homework site, my answer is not correct.

I am getting a crazy answer of -179975.2.

Below is the image of my work. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated, as this assignment is due soon.

I apologies for the large image for those with small screens.

[PLAIN]http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/1324/68070772.jpg [Broken]
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 30, 2010 #2

Staff: Mentor

Your region D is drawn incorrectly. The line intersects the curve at (-8, -1) and (0, 3). You have intersection points of (0, 3), which is mislabeled, and (16, 5). Your point at (0, 3) is below the x-axis, so should be labeled (0, -3).
  4. Jun 30, 2010 #3
    Thank you. The only thing I had to change was the limit of 16 to -9 to 3 to -1 and got the answer correct with the same approach as above. You are correct about the fact that I drew the D region incorrectly... stupid mistake on my part.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook