Griffitsh electrostatics problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in electrostatics where a given function and its solution are compared. The focus is on finding the total charge and evaluating an integral using spherical coordinates. The conversation also includes correcting mistakes and using mathematical properties to solve the problem.
Brad Barker
griffiths electrostatics problem

if you have the text on you, I'm looking at question 2.46 (in the third edition).

i am given

[tex]
V(\mathbf{r}) = A\exp (-\lambda r)/r
[/tex]

i found that

[tex]
\mathbf{E} (\mathbf{r}) = A\exp (-\lambda r)(\lambda /r + 1/r^2) \hat{r}
[/tex]

the solution for [tex]\rho[/tex] given in the text is

[tex]
\rho = \epsilon _0 A [4\pi \delta^3 (\mathbf{r}) - \lambda^2 \exp (-\lambda r)/r]
[/tex]

however, in my solution, i got that exponential funtcion multiplying both terms in the answer.

i don't think i made a mistake in my steps, either. :/

i used the following properties:

[tex]
\nabla \cdot (f\mathbf{A}) = f(\nabla \cdot \mathbf{A}) + \mathbf{A} \cdot (\nabla f)
[/tex]

and

[tex]
\nabla \cdot (\mathbf{A} + \mathbf{B}) = \nabla \cdot \mathbf{A} + \nabla \cdot \mathbf{B}
[/tex]

from that first property, the first term on the right hand side seems to me to make it pretty clear that the exponential function should be in both terms in the answer. :/

thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hold on... got to get the latex straightened out...

could someone also help me with getting the fractions in latex working?

i needed to put something in fractions that itself was something in latex, and I'm not sure what i did incorrectly. :/

basically, there is no meaning to the function Dirac delta is multiplied by (only to its value at 0), because in any point except for 0, delta is 0 by itself anyway..

sic said:
basically, there is no meaning to the function Dirac delta is multiplied by (only to its value at 0), because in any point except for 0, delta is 0 by itself anyway..

oh, i think that's it.

yeah, in this case the function is equal to 1 at r=0, so it wouldn't really matter if it is included or not.

i'll go to my teacher's office hours, just to make sure.

yeah, a quick check back to ch. 1 in griffiths straightened that out.

now... a new problem! :biggrin:

the next step is to integrate rho to find the total charge, q.

i used spherical coordinates (obviously!), so the delta function term disappears (as it will be multiplied by r-squared).

my limits of integration for the radius were from 0 to infinity.

however, i get a negative answer.

[tex]
Q = -A 4\pi\epsilon _0 .
[/tex]

i find this disturbing. would it be allowed to switch the limits of integration, or is that verboten?

What would you want to change the limits of int. to?! Anyway, you've probably made a mistake in integrating.

[tex]\int \rho d\tau = \epsilon _0 A \left(\int 4\pi \delta^3 (\mathbf{r}) d\tau - \lambda^2 \int \exp (-\lambda r)/r d\tau \right)[/tex]

the integral with the delta function is just 4pi (because of equation (1.97), or more generally, because of equation (1.98)). The other one, you'll have to find a way to evaluate. Plz tell me if you find how to evaluate the limit that ensues.

Ah, L'Hospital.

quasar987 said:
Ah, L'Hospital.

yep, that's how to do it.

quasar987 said:
What would you want to change the limits of int. to?! Anyway, you've probably made a mistake in integrating.

[tex]\int \rho d\tau = \epsilon _0 A \left(\int 4\pi \delta^3 (\mathbf{r}) d\tau - \lambda^2 \int \exp (-\lambda r)/r d\tau \right)[/tex]

the integral with the delta function is just 4pi (because of equation (1.97), or more generally, because of equation (1.98)). The other one, you'll have to find a way to evaluate. Plz tell me if you find how to evaluate the limit that ensues.

ah, googly-moogly!

i thought that the first integral would be zero since

[tex]
d\tau = r^2 \sin (\theta) drd\theta d\phi.
[/tex]

and then i figured that the integral would be equal to [tex]0^2[/tex], but now that I'm looking at example 1.16 on pg. 51, I'm seeing that that's not the case.

thanks!

now let's see what the answer is. (post yours, too! you taking EM this semester, as well? :biggrin: )

ok, now I'm getting an answer of 0.

that's... unsatisfying. is it even physical? :eek:

Of course. It just means that the total charge is 0. there are as much "+" as the are "-"; very possible.

P.S. The EM fun was last semester for me.

I'm very puzzled by all this right now though. Both the integrator and Mapple say that

[tex]\int r e^{-\lambda r}dr = \frac{1}{2}r^2 e^{-\lambda r}[/tex]

But when I differentiate the answer, I don't get the integrand. When mapple differentiate the answer, it DOES get the integrand. Where am I mistaken ??

[tex]\frac{d}{dr}\frac{1}{2}r^2 e^{-\lambda r} = r e^{-\lambda r} + \frac{-\lambda}{2}r^2 e^{-\lambda r} [/tex]

quasar987 said:
I'm very puzzled by all this right now though. Both the integrator and Mapple say that

[tex]\int r e^{-\lambda r}dr = \frac{1}{2}r^2 e^{-\lambda r}[/tex]

But when I differentiate the answer, I don't get the integrand. When mapple differentiate the answer, it DOES get the integrand. Where am I mistaken ??

[tex]\frac{d}{dr}\frac{1}{2}r^2 e^{-\lambda r} = r e^{-\lambda r} + \frac{-\lambda}{2}r^2 e^{-\lambda r} [/tex]

looks like the programs are treating the exponential function as a constant! that's not good!

i evaluated the integral using integration by parts.

yeah, the + charge balancing the - charge makes sense to me. I'm just trying to wrap my head around what it would look like in space! maybe i should give that up. :-p

Related to Griffitsh electrostatics problem

1. What is the Griffiths electrostatics problem?

The Griffiths electrostatics problem is a classic problem in electromagnetism that involves finding the electric potential and field inside and outside of a charged conducting sphere. It is often used as an example to demonstrate the application of boundary conditions and the method of images in solving electrostatic problems.

2. What are the assumptions made in the Griffiths electrostatics problem?

The assumptions made in the Griffiths electrostatics problem are that the sphere is a perfect conductor, there are no other charges in the system, and that the sphere is subject to a constant external electric field. Additionally, the problem assumes that the sphere is of a finite radius and is in a vacuum.

3. How is the Griffiths electrostatics problem solved?

The Griffiths electrostatics problem is typically solved using the method of images. This involves creating a mirror charge outside the sphere to satisfy the boundary conditions and then using the superposition principle to find the total electric potential and field.

4. What is the significance of the Griffiths electrostatics problem?

The Griffiths electrostatics problem is significant because it is a classic problem that demonstrates the application of important concepts in electromagnetism, such as boundary conditions and the method of images. It also has practical applications in understanding the behavior of conducting spheres in electric fields.

5. Are there any real-world examples that can be modeled using the Griffiths electrostatics problem?

Yes, the Griffiths electrostatics problem can be used to model the behavior of charged particles in a vacuum, such as electrons in a cathode ray tube, or the electric potential and field around a charged conducting sphere in an external electric field. It can also be applied to the design of capacitor systems and other electrostatic devices.